RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[2k3] Touhou Fantasy

Rep:
Level 82
http://www.mediafire.com/?er4eja1ao15lm63

(Edit: also changed the link in this post to the correct one)

And there you go. It'll be a fair bit of work to integrate into your game since it isn't plug and play. You'll be better of using it as a reference and creating it from scratch in your own project so that you can choose which variables you need to set aside for it.

With regards to the demo project:

You can manually choose the "hero" sprite to display directly through the number keys 1, 2, 3 or 4 (Key Input Values: 11, 12, 13, 14). The numbers refer to the slot in the party.

You can cycle through the party members with the Shift Key (Key Input Value: 7).

If necessary, you can change the Key Input Processing values should you make use of them already.

When you remove party members, variables will be updated accordingly. Should you remove the last party member it's pretty straightforward. If you remove the party member in the 2nd slot, then the necessary variables are updated to "move down" the party members. Thus the variables holding the IDs of the heros in Slot 3 and Slot 4 will be moved to Slot 2 and Slot 3 respectively, allowing for seamless transition when you begin to cycle/choose graphics again.

Also, if you remove the lead actor - the actual hero in party slot 1 - everything will be updated properly. The slots will be moved down as above, and the correct graphic for the new lead actor - the actor who was in slot 2 - will be shown instead.

In all, it's pretty seamless (at least in my initial testing).

In terms of what you will need to find space for:

5 Common Events
11 Variables

Aside from 2 instances (adding and removing heroes) everything is handled with Common Events; 1 which is Parallel, the rest are called. The most commonly called CEs will be the ones to add and remove heroes. Because these CEs handle actually adding and removing party members, you'll need to make edits to any other systems that add/remove party members to allow for correct compatibility - certain variables need to be updated when adding and removing heroes, thus why the CEs will handle this process.

You can check the events on the game map on how adding/removing is done - basically, a variable is set that contains the value of the ID of the party member to add/remove and then you call the respective CE. Within that CE you interpret that ID to add/remove the appropriate party member. At the same time, all of the necessary variables are assigned the appropriate values that allow the graphic changing to work properly. It shouldn't be too difficult to make a few edits to your PHS system to work.

Once you've gone through setting up and expanding the CEs that are used, there's very little extra work (aside from compatibility fixing).

It's pretty well commented, but if you have any questions about how it works or how to set it up, just let me know.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it. It made a change to go back to 2k3 and make an evented system. I used to do a fair bit of work with events, even did a few tutorials. With the more recent RMs involving scripts it's quite easy to forget that making an evented system can be pretty fun, and not really that hard either.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:10:46 AM by LoganForrests »
(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
Ah....much MUCH obliged for the help Logan. I will definitely look at this when I'm in a far less tired state (as of this message, it has been a good 20 hours since I've been up, and a good more 12+ more that I'll probably be up because that's how I am...). The only real ways that party members are removed are as follows in this game:

A) PHS system (which uses variables to determine who gets added to the party. If you have my game, the entire PHS system is done per character in one map (well, there's 2 others, but those are event specifics and you won't be using character-field abilities during that time at all).
B) During an event to change party members manually
C) In one particular area, for up to a point (the Blazing Fires of Hell), you'll automatically be forced to use 3 specific party members (with a 4th one for a little bit, and 2 of them for a bit as well).

Those are the only known instances of the party members being changed so might not be TOO bad per say I would think. I don't know if you'd really WANT to try and test those methods at all (that would require a lot of copy/pasting from my game into that project), but up to you on that. I can always use debug room for testing methods if all else fails (good reason why I put one in there after all, though wish I used it a bit more than I have...).

As for events that involve having the party leader, I use an invisible event to duplicate the party (the actual party leader sprite is NOT seen on screen, if for a brief moment, before the event takes over). Did this BECAUSE of how weird things can get with the Order function, so that shouldn't really bother that at all ^^;

Rep:
Level 85
Checked the project, and are you sure it's the right one? I didn't see anything for the current idea in there (I saw the camera coding and the Crafting coding in there, but nothing for the character graphic coding @_@ )

Rep:
Level 82
I apologize for that. I have so many projects called project1 for RM2k3 that I must have packed up the wrong one. I figured it might have been the one in My Documents, but apparently not. I probably should have checked it first.

Anyway, I found the right one, hidden somewhere, so here it is. I checked this one too.

http://www.mediafire.com/?er4eja1ao15lm63

(Why do I always feel like it's the end of the world and I'm the last man standing?)

Rep:
Level 85
Coolio~ Well if anything, I have the Camera coding if I use it now (I might actually make that a field ability for Aya, since well...she's a journalist and whatnot. Seems fitting no?). And for Reisen, I think her field ability will be to reveal hidden traps and help with puzzles slightly (this'll make some areas such as Eientei much more easier, and I can revamp the Bamboo Forest with more neato things probably...). I'll have to see what the shift key translates to on my PS2 controller (yes, I use a controller for 2k3 because it's easier for me lol). I'll also have to make note of this in my Read Me file as well possibly (the party switch thing I have an idea for to avoid using the key that this system will probably use, by using switch points).

Do appreciate the help though! If you do ever play through this, do let me know what you think of it, good or bad feedback. Either which way will help make it better (though I will say, I suck at maps. It's pretty apparent early game since well, I never bothered to go back and fix it up per say...^^; )

Rep:
Level 82
I'm going to be offline for a few weeks (moving house) so I may get a bit of time to take a nosy. I'll be sure to download the latest version.

Glad to be of help. If there's anything else just ask - although I won't be able to give you anything for a while after next week.

Rep:
Level 85
Will do if anything else comes up (which I'm sure it will, since I'm trying to go for complete uniqueness with as much as possible with this thing, though not overly so like CMS stuff and whatnot). The only thing I need to think on for this particular system is WHAT each character is going to do is all that'll be really left on it. THAT is the tricky party for sure.

Rep:
Level 85
Now for a little discussion about the game! Oh man!

So in this here post, I shall talk about the status effects of the game, and what might be new and coming into the game! Feel free to add in your two-bits about what's in and what might be!

NEGATIVE STATUS EFFECTS

Amnesia: Character cannot use skills that require the physical stat. Lasts after battle.

Armor Break: Character's Defense is halved.

Berserk: Character cannot be controlled and will constantly attack. Attack and Speed are doubled, but Accuracy is reduced to 70%.

Blind: Character's accuracy is reduced to 70%. Lasts after battle.

Charm: Character randomly attacks allies with only physicals. Unlike Confusion, can only wear off after time passes.

Confusion: Character randomly attacks allies with only physicals. Wears off after a physical attack, but not a magic attack.

Cursed: Character cannot change equipment. Lasts after battle.

Death: Most obvious status in any game. Character hits 0 HP, they cannot act. All party members are in this status, it's game over. Note that Auto-Life nor the Reverse Doll will save you from a game over if the last character is KO'd or the entire party is KO'd at once due to the way 2k3 works. Also of note is that having a party of full KO'd characters on the overworld results in a game over as well!

Fear: Character's Attack, Defense, and Magic are halved.

Freeze: Character cannot act.

Magic Break: Character's Magic is halved.

MP Sap: Character loses 1% of Max MP every turn in battle. Cannot be cured.

Paralyze: Character cannot act.

Petrify: Character cannot act, but can still be damaged and Defense is doubled. If all characters are in this status, it is game over. Lasts after battle.

Poison: Character takes damage on every turn (counts theirs and all other active battlers) equal to 2% of their max HP. Lasts after battle. When walking on the overworld, a Poisoned character takes 1 HP worth of damage each step.

Power Break: Character's Attack is halved.

Sap: Character loses 1% of Max HP every turn in battle. Cannot be cured.

Silence: Character cannot use skills that uses the Magic stat. Last after battle.

Sleep: Character cannot act or evade until awoken. Will be waken up from any physical attack, but not from magic attacks.

Slow: Character's Speed is halved.

Stop: Character cannot act. If all characters are in this status, it is game over.

Venom: Character cannot act and loses 2% of their Max HP and 1% of their Max MP every turn. If all characters are in this status, it is game over.

POSITIVE STATUS EFFECTS

Blink: Character evades all NORMAL physical attacks.

Haste: Character's Speed is doubled, but accuracy is reduced to 70%.

Heal: Character restores 10 HP and 1 MP every step on the overworld. Can only be applied on the overworld.

Invincible: Character evades all normal attacks and reflects all skills.

Magic Up: Character's Magic is doubled.

MP Regen: Character restores 1% of Max MP on every turn.

Power Up: Character's Attack is doubled.

Protect: Character's Defense is doubled.

Reflect: Two versions exists. The enemy-only version reflects all skills. The character-only version reflects alls kills, but the target will lose 1% Max HP and Max MP every turn while under status. Status may or may not stay in.

Regen: Character restores 1% of Max HP on every turn.

EQUIPMENT-ONLY STATUS EFFECTS

HP Drain: Character loses 10 HP every turn in battle. On the overworld, for every step taken, character loses 1 HP and 1 MP.

Life Up: Character restores 4% Max HP every turn in battle.

MP Restore: Character restores 1 MP every turn in battle.

ABILITY-ONLY STATUS EFFECTS

Libra: Used with Intel.

Steal: Used with Steal.

SPECIFIC-BATTLE STATUS EFFECTS

Full HP: Character's HP is fully restored every turn.

Full MP: Character restores all MP every turn in battle.

LOCATION-SPECIFIC STATUS EFFECTS

Permament Amnesia: While in dungeon, under constant Amnesia.

Permanent Silence: While inside dungeon, under constant Silence.

NEW STATUS EFFECTS

Auto-Life: Character is revived from death automatically with 50% of Max HP.

Bubble: Character's Max HP is doubled.

Disable: Character cannot do anything except Defend or Escape.

Disease: Character cannot restore lost HP, and their Max HP becomes their current HP. If character is KO'd and revived, Max HP is 1. Lasts after battle.

Sniper: Character's Accuracy is increased to 100%.

Rep:
Level 85
And on a sidenote, first post updated with updated information (Statuses are there now, as well as updated Reference sheet). Need to update characters though badly...

Rep:
Level 67
Jack of all Trades
what the-- why haven't I been getting e-mails on new posts?!!

Anyways, just thought I'd let you know that I haven't disappeared for no reason.  I had computer issues (as Xenomic should know, I believe) and I'm capable of helping again ... However, I'm stuck with Linux for now ... but I will get Windows soon.

Rep:
Level 85
Ah...nice to see you're back~ I've been busy recently trying to add in new status effects (I already have Auto-Life, Disable, and Heat completed. Working on fixing Freeze to work as per in FFIX, and about to work on both the Disease and Bubble status effects). If you can figure out how to get either one of those statuses working fine, then that'd make everything so much easier since they're inverts of one another essentially (Disease might be trickier as I plan on having it last outside of battle, and if a player levels up from a battle, I'll need to add that difference to their true current Max HP). That's all there is so far on that. x_x

Rep:
Level 67
Jack of all Trades
well ... can you post all the links I need to download the game with the current version?  it would be great if it was just 1 link, but I can deal with multiple.

Rep:
Level 85
All links are found at the bottom of the first page, for everything you need.

As for everyone else, here's the coding of what I have for Disease so far...it's not perfect yet as I haven't tested it out, but it'll give you an idea of what I'm trying to aim for.

Rep:
Level 85
So, I made a document for all of the possible characters that could have a field ability...there are 29 possible characters in all....I DON'T think I have that many ideas for field abilities for each and every single one of them, so a lot probably won't get a field ability, IF I actually get this implemented, which may or may not happen (not right now, but will probably happen after I finish the actual game. That should be main priority). Here's what I have per character thus far:

Spoiler for:
Advent Cirno:

Alice:

Aya: View current area.

Byakuren:

Cirno:

Hope:

Keine:

Koishi:

Komachi:

Marisa: Can unlock locked chests and certain doors.

Meiling: Can break down weakened walls or wooden

barriers.

Mokou:

Momiji:

Nazrin: Able to tell how many items are left in each screen.

Nitori:

Nue:

Patchouli: Use certain magic elements in the field: fire to

burn things, water to extinguish fires etc.

Reimu: Get advice.

Reisen: Reveal hidden traps.

Remilia: Charismatic character that can often get more info

from NPCs. Perhaps even obtain items or secret locations.

Rinnosuke:

Sakuya: Doubles walking speed on overworld.

Sanae:

Suwako:

Utsuho:

Youmu:

Yukari:

Yumemi:

Yuuka:

Reason for the spoiler is well...some of the characters are spoilers for those who know of the Touhouverse and/or those who don't want to be spoiled on potential characters. Note that the ones that AREN'T used yet are Smash/Break, Climb, and Dig/Unearth from the previous page. If anyone can help on this, that'd be fantastic, since I'm out of ideas as to what would be nice for field abilities! @_@ Also, try to keep it as close to the character as possible. If you need to know what they can do and whatnot, feel free to ask and I'll try to explain the best I can ^^;;

Rep:
Level 67
Jack of all Trades
was having trouble with the .lzh file, but I got it to work ... eventually ...

Rep:
Level 85
I don't know why it's in .Izh format...probably because I somehow used IzArc to zip it instead of WinZip or something ^^;;

Rep:
Level 67
Jack of all Trades
So, I made a document for all of the possible characters that could have a field ability...there are 29 possible characters in all....I DON'T think I have that many ideas for field abilities for each and every single one of them, so a lot probably won't get a field ability, IF I actually get this implemented, which may or may not happen (not right now, but will probably happen after I finish the actual game. That should be main priority). Here's what I have per character thus far:

Spoiler for:
Advent Cirno:

Alice:

Aya: View current area.

Byakuren:

Cirno:

Hope:

Keine:

Koishi:

Komachi:

Marisa: Can unlock locked chests and certain doors.

Meiling: Can break down weakened walls or wooden

barriers.

Mokou:

Momiji:

Nazrin: Able to tell how many items are left in each screen.

Nitori:

Nue:

Patchouli: Use certain magic elements in the field: fire to

burn things, water to extinguish fires etc.

Reimu: Get advice.

Reisen: Reveal hidden traps.

Remilia: Charismatic character that can often get more info

from NPCs. Perhaps even obtain items or secret locations.

Rinnosuke:

Sakuya: Doubles walking speed on overworld.

Sanae:

Suwako:

Utsuho:

Youmu:

Yukari:

Yumemi:

Yuuka:

Reason for the spoiler is well...some of the characters are spoilers for those who know of the Touhouverse and/or those who don't want to be spoiled on potential characters. Note that the ones that AREN'T used yet are Smash/Break, Climb, and Dig/Unearth from the previous page. If anyone can help on this, that'd be fantastic, since I'm out of ideas as to what would be nice for field abilities! @_@ Also, try to keep it as close to the character as possible. If you need to know what they can do and whatnot, feel free to ask and I'll try to explain the best I can ^^;;

my ideas of what COULD also be used.
Spoiler for:

Alice: Show general direction of certain items on screen. (sends out her dolls to search? x-x)

Cirno: Creates paths of frozen ice in certain areas (to obtain items or advance in the story?)

Hope: Allows healing items to be twice as effective.

Momiji: Allows a map of the area to be seen for open (non-cave/dungeon) areas. (overworld, town, outdoor areas, etc.)

Nitori: Can travel in certain water areas OR travel in certain maps that take place underwater.  Nitori can't be removed from the party when this happens.

Youmu: Can speak with (certain?) spirits.

Yukari: Can teleport right outside certain world map areas while on the world map.

You can also have someone regen the party's HP by 1 per step (such as Keine or Rinnosuke?)

Just some ideas .... nothing major and can be modified or implemented as desired.

EDIT: kinda failed, since you have Aya's ability as "view current area" ... though, Momiji could have the same or similar ability if Aya isn't available OR you can make it (if possible) that if Momiji is in the party, have it so the camera is zoomed out for areas that are big enough.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:49:55 AM by jjwebb »

Rep:
Level 85
Spoiler for:
Hmmmm....that would be nice for Hope's ability, since it fits with her in general being a support-type character, but not sure how I'd do that, IF it could be done at all (which I don't think it can...).

Youmu's....that's not a bad idea actually.

Yukari's would be nice too, instead of having to find a teleporter or go through dungeons to get to and fro from Makai and such, assuming the player has visited the locations at least once.

Momiji....if I knew how to do that, I probably would, but not sure how that would work at all x_x;;

Nitori...someone brought that up for her earlier too. Could be used for a dungeon or something maybe (it's hard to come up with something for her otherwise, unless I gave her the Dig/Unearth or Scavage ability...).

Cirno's another one that I couldn't think of what to do at all either lol. Might be interesting though.

Alice...I wonder how I'd do that. Not like there's much ELSE for Alice to do (and she'd be nice to do that with probably since she's the very last character you can possibly get mostly in the main storyline).

Hmmm...the Regen thing I have as a sub-ability of Sakuya's, so that might not be used (wouldn't fit those two either).

Some nice ideas though I have to say. Might use some of them later on down the road. I know it may seem silly to put spoilers in the project thread, but hey, people don't like to be spoiled on things right? And I tend to want to keep spoilers to a minimum (unless people WANT to know, in which case they can always open the spoilers, and the spoilers make loading pages faster too!).

Rep:
Level 85
Wait....is it possible to zoom out the camera at all in 2k3? I'm curious about that now...

Rep:
Level 67
Jack of all Trades
I use the spoiler to save space ... and feel free to use my suggestions.  That's what I'm here for, after all.

Spoiler for:
also, as for the ability suggested for Rinnosuke/Keine ... my thoguht process for that is ... Keine has connections to Reisen via Mokou x Kaguya war, so she can "buy" or "receive" medicine to use.  (I thought this would match Eirin better, but I guess she can't be used in a party ... figured Keine would be the next closest since Reisen already has an ability.)  As for Rinnosuke, he has a shop that has items from the human world.  I figure he would use medical materials from our world (herbs, band-aids, pain killers, etc.) to recover HP.

Another thing.  Youmu's ability could also work as Komachi's ability, since she often talks to spirits, etc.  OR she could have the ability to go across the Sanzu river or be able to use the item that switches out party members at any time (manipulation of distance? xD)

I'll update you if I think of more.

also, in response to your most recent post, not sure.  I don't really mess with 2K3

Rep:
Level 85
Spoiler for:
Hmm....that....that actually would be kinda neato with Komachi (though I'd have to make sure to keep it banned in certain areas methinks where you CAN'T switch party members lol). Though you are right, Komachi would be the one to talk to spirits more than Youmu...but then Youmu would be left with nothing (I don't even know if either one of them can understand what spirits are saying though since most spirits don't talk...hmmmm).

Rinnosuke is the LAST true party member you can get in the game (if you got everyone up to that point), so I'd imagine that if all else fails, he'd probably be the one without any field abilities at all (his skills in battle would kinda make up for that since he'd have access to a crapton of abilities and such). Keine...I could see your reasoning there actually. I MIGHT use that in the event that I have nothing better to add in or such.

As for Eirin, she's only a temporary party member, and I don't think any temporary party members are going to get any field abilities since you don't get to use them THAT long per say. Think of Yuugi/Lunasa/Mystia/Wriggle/Tewi/Chen/Iku/Letty. None of them at all would get any field abilities for instance.

I don't THINK it's possible to do per say, but would be very nice nonetheless lol. Will have to see if anyone that knows 2k3 knows if it's possible...

Rep:
Level 67
Jack of all Trades
agreed ... but I think it would be a nice feature, especially when trying to explore places.  would DEFINITELY save time.

Rep:
Level 85
Aya's ability, as someone said, would have to be done by pressing the button over and over (I don't think you can hold the button to move in it, but I haven't implemented it yet to test it out). That's something that I'll need to look into as well. If I could do that, I'd implement that feature with her ability. Sure, that leaves Momiji with nothing again, but it'd make Aya more useful (sure wish Momiji could have her own Cover ability though...not really possible to do it seems the way I want to x_x).

Rep:
Level 67
Jack of all Trades
hmm .... replace Sakuya's ability with a non-field ability that allows backattacks/ambushes to happen less frequently and preemptive attacks to happen more often, give Sakuya's current ability to Aya (she IS the fastest character in Gensokyo, afterall), and give Momiji Aya's current ability.

Rep:
Level 85
I actually don't even know if I can do anything about special formations like that lol. That would be neato though too (in fact, Back Attacks/Ambushes really don't happen THAT often, now that I think about it....huh....). I WAS going to give that to Aya originally, but needed to beef up Sakuya somehow originally lol. I think the other reason was because Aya had Intel too, but I don't know. I MIGHT switch their abilities if anything better than what Sakuya has on right now appears for her, since that would be Aya's ability after all (another reason being that Aya could send a crow to view the area or something too, hence her ability).