RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Re-fragmentation?!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I ran Defraggler last night, and it said I had 27.6 GB of fragmented files
I was like "oh cool, lots more space" so I started it and went to sleep.

I wake up this morning and now I have far LESS SPACE after the defragmentation ended.

WHAT
THE
FUCK?!

run analysis with Defraggler again, sure enough "you have 50gb of fragmented files"

seriously...what the hell is going on?

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Just because files are fragmented, that doesn't mean that defragging is going to give you more space. When you defrag, it just puts all of the frags next to each other, sometimes resulting in a bit of free HD space. All you can do is run it again and see what happens.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Just because files are fragmented, that doesn't mean that defragging is going to give you more space. When you defrag, it just puts all of the frags next to each other, sometimes resulting in a bit of free HD space. All you can do is run it again and see what happens.

Holk, it's not about free space.
it's supposed to DE-fragment.

and it went from 27.6gb of fragmented files to 50gb of fragmented files.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
One reason that I can see is if it was defragging two files that were right next to each other at the same time. This could create a sort of "mesh", and end up resulting in the files becoming more fragmented than they were in the beginning. Other than that, I have no idea.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
defrag with your windows tool and see what happens
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
defrag with your windows tool and see what happens

I'll do that tonight.

One reason that I can see is if it was defragging two files that were right next to each other at the same time. This could create a sort of "mesh", and end up resulting in the files becoming more fragmented than they were in the beginning. Other than that, I have no idea.

yeah I can't imagine what happened either.  I Defrag once every two weeks or so since I got the computer and Defraggler has worked perfectly.

Rep:
Level 94
Did you install any new software since the last time you defragged?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

nope.

And honestly, I don't know what difference that would make, since it was working fine all of this time up until just yesterday :/

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
How much free space (as a percentage, not amount) do you have on the drive?
bringing sexy back

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
How much free space (as a percentage, not amount) do you have on the drive?

apparently 30%

it's reading 65gigs free on a 225gb (supposedly 250gb) drive

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I mentioned it in IRC a few times and everybody just ignored me. :mad:

Feb 12 22:22:48 <HaloOfTheSun> I defragged and went from 14.2 gigs to 13.5

And when you buy a hard drive, you don't get as much space as advertised. It's normal for your 250 GB HD to be only 225.
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I mentioned it in IRC a few times and everybody just ignored me. :mad:

Feb 12 22:22:48 <HaloOfTheSun> I defragged and went from 14.2 gigs to 13.5

And when you buy a hard drive, you don't get as much space as advertised. It's normal for your 250 GB HD to be only 225.

I know that much.

so what...did it just fix itself?
My fragmented files doubled, I want my space back

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Yeah, me too :mad: Stupid defraggler :mad: :mad:
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 94

nope.

And honestly, I don't know what difference that would make, since it was working fine all of this time up until just yesterday :/

It would make a difference because you might have inadvertently installed something harmful.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award

Maybe it left some of the temp stuff behind =s
bringing sexy back

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I watched that .gif a couple of times. It's cool.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

Maybe it left some of the temp stuff behind =s

'some' ?
23 gigabytes worth?!

it never did that before :/

Rep:
Level 84
is there good reason to run defrag? never bother because it takes 10 hours and keeps resetting

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
is there good reason to run defrag? never bother because it takes 10 hours and keeps resetting

It's like cleaning up your room. everything's where it should be, easier to find, and you have more room.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 94
I always thought that defragging made programs start and sometimes run faster, because all of the information is in the same area. I have gotten some extra space from defragging, but I was always under the impression that this was a secondary feature.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
windows defrag worked.
I uninstalled a few games I never play anymore, then ran it, I'm now back up to 123gb of free space.

I always thought that defragging made programs start and sometimes run faster, because all of the information is in the same area. I have gotten some extra space from defragging, but I was always under the impression that this was a secondary feature.

I think the main purpose is to make things run faster, but it has always cleard up space close to the amount of fragmented files it found, for me anyway.  I'm going based on my observations.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
http://www.kessels.com/Jkdefrag/
runs so much faster and uses windows defragging stuff