RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[REQUEST]'Tales of' Character Titles

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
'Tales of...' Character Title Script for RMVX
Feb. 10, 2009 (First time I requested this at hbgames.org), Feb. 16, 2009 (Date when I posted it here on rmrk.net)

Summary/Features Desired
This would be a familiar feature to those who have played any 'Tales of' games.  Basically, the script I'm looking for allows a player to change the titles of their characters.  For example, Lloyd (from Tales of Symphonia) starts off his journey, if you open the status menu, you will see his title of being a 'Swordsman' underneath his name. If you press the O button, you can choose from a list of titles.  Some are useful while others are not.  And these titles can be obtained through quests or the progression of the game.
Basically, I'm looking for a script that can do this. It's not a job changing script as the player's class/job doesn't exactly change so there... (It's hard to describe this system, but hopefully the images below can help me out.

What are Titles?
The following are taken from the Tales of Symhonia (GC Ver) Titles FAQ from Gamefaqs.com
Titles are an innovative little addition to Tales of Symphonia.  Think of them as little challenges made to enhance your character based on their requirements.  Basically, if you have a lot of titles you're likely going to have stronger characters, so there's not just bragging rights to getting all of them.  There are benefits to all titles, some more than others.

First to see you title and change it, go to the main menu and the "status" heading.  There, under the name of your character you will see their title.  Highlight it, and it you have more than one press A and you can cycle between them.

You may note that each title has all the character stats listed, and are often either green, red or colourless.  These correspond to how much more a stat will increase at each level.  For example say you had a basic title
equipped.  If you were to add a new title that had "str" in green and "int" in red, at your next level up, you would receive a higher bonus to strength and a lower bonus to intelligence compared to the title you previously had. 
Most titles have strengths and weaknesses, and most often it's best to choose based on the kind of character you want.  Feel free to experiment.
More of this can be read from: Titles FAQ

Mockups

If you note the words 'Monster Lover' that is the character's title that I am talking about. Upon pressing the confirm button, a small menu shows up on the right side of the screen that lists all the available titles that the player can use or have gotten and they can change the character's title any time they wish just by going to the menu.

Games its been in
  • Tales of Phantasia
  • Tales of Symphonia 1 & 2
  • All tales of games (basically)

Did you search?
Yes. I've searched for this script countless of times but failed to find a script that offers the same feature that I mentioned above.

Where did you search?
  • Google Search
  • Creation Asylum
  • RMXP
  • RMVX.net
  • RPG RPG Revolution (at least when I can still go to their site)
  • here

Other Scripts I am using (in order): Note that the KGC Scripts that I am using are those from the compiled KGC Library by Mr. Anonymous.
-KGC MapLightening
-KGC LimitBreak
-KGC InterfaceForWin32API
-KGC FileEncryption2
-KGC CompressSaveFile
-KGC ChangeSystemTerms
-KGC HelpExtension
-KGC DrawFormatText
-KGC FrameShadowText
-KGC MathReinforce
-KGC OldEventCommands
-KGC ContinueBGM
-Tankentai SBS Configuration (Kaduki Ver)
-Tankentai Sideview 1
-Tankentai Sideview 2
-Enemy Gauge Addon
-Enemy Animated Battlers
-Blow Element Addon
-Staff Element Addon
-Spear Element Addon
-Guns Action Sequence
-Default Scope Options Addon
-KGC SpecialTransition
-Bubs' State Examples
-KGC CustomMenuCommand
-KGC CursorAnimation
-KGC LocationPlayTimeWindow
-KGC EnemyGuide FIX for Tankentai
-KGC EnemyGuide
-KGC Outline
-Battle Entry Disable
-Battle Background
-Khai's Window Helper
-KGC ExtraDropItem
-KGC DayNight
-KGC LargeParty
-KGC Dash/8DirMove
-KGC CategorizeItem
-KGC AddEquipmentOptions
-KGC ExtendedEquipScene
-KGC EquipExtension
-KGC ComposeItem
-KGC CategorizeSkill
-KGC EquipLearnSkill
-KGC SkillCPSystem
-KGC OverDrive
-KGC MPCostAlter
-KGC BattleCount2
-KGC DistributeParameter
-FF Save Point System (Modified Slightly by Me)
-Multiple Fogs
-Disable Battle Commands + Addon
-Footstep Script
-Light EFX
-Shopholic
-MOG Scene Title Maria
-MOG Scene Story
-Force Victory ME Stop
-Level Up Display Window
-Chest Item Pop-up

Demo with Scripts (though I did not include some of the audio for the MOG Scene scripts since it will make the file bigger):Here

I hope someone can help me find or make me this particular system that would be compatible with the Tankentai SBS.  Thank you and Godspeed.

~ Sakura
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:43:40 PM by Sakura Martinez »
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.

My Blogsite

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
This is a very detailed request form. Thank you for taking the time to do this work ~ it makes it a lot easier for scripters to know what is being asked of them and consequently means it is a lot more likely to be filled.

Anyway, I have a few questions:

Where exactly do you want his title to show up in the status menu? As directly below the name there is a face by default.

What RMVX button would you want to open up the titles list?

Is there any particular way you would like to identify to the player that pressing that key would open the status menu?

What do you want the title list to look like?

What sort of things exactly would you like the titles to affect? Since any effect will require scripting, I will need to know every possible effect you would want these things to have.

Also, I am a public scripter, so if I do take this request it will be released publicly, not exclusive to your game. If you would like to try and find a scripter to make it exclusively, then I will not steal your idea and make the script anyway.

Also, I have several major scripting projects ongoing currently, so it may be some time before I can get around to this.

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
Where exactly do you want his title to show up in the status menu? As directly below the name there is a face by default.
Yes. I want it to be as similar to the Tales of Symphonia: Knight of Ratatosk/Dawn of the New World Character titles (the one in the picture on my initial post) if possible.

What RMVX button would you want to open up the titles list?
The confirm/accept button.

Is there any particular way you would like to identify to the player that pressing that key would open the status menu?
Yes. On the image I have provided, I would want it so that instead of the words: +Select, A Confirm, and B Back, it would read as: L/R Next Character, C Title Select, and B Back

What do you want the title list to look like?
I want it to look simple. Just a window with the selected window skin that lists all of the titles that the user can select and a help window on the bottom of the character title menu selection to show what stats are increased and a description of the title just above it. If it is possible, then I would prefer it that the stat increases are shown on the player's status with Green font color meaning an increase and Red font color meaning a decrease. If not then it would be alright to stick with the above description of the stat help window.

I would have added a screenshot but my ISP is acting up at the moment.

What sort of things exactly would you like the titles to affect? Since any effect will require scripting, I will need to know every possible effect you would want these things to have.
In the Titles FAQ link that I have provided, there's a section there (Section III) if I remember correctly that has all the stat-related effects. I want it to be similar to that and for EVA there to be Agility instead, INT to be Spirit, and ACC to be Hit Rate.
I've attached the section that I was talking about in this post.

Also, I am a public scripter, so if I do take this request it will be released publicly, not exclusive to your game. If you would like to try and find a scripter to make it exclusively, then I will not steal your idea and make the script anyway.
I'm fine with it being released publicly as this would be a good addition to other games and a good addition to quests as well. Also, there are other people (as far as I know) who are looking for this script and it could help their game if such a script were to exist.

Also, I have several major scripting projects ongoing currently, so it may be some time before I can get around to this.
I can wait, lol. And thank you very much for considering on working on this request.

My Blogsite

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
So, you want an entire status scene overhaul then?

Like, you don't just want the title to be added in to the current system, but you want the scene to look exactly like the pic you posted?

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
If it would not be much trouble, then yes. But it has to be compatible with the Tankentai Battle System (preferably the Kaduki version one). But if it would be too much trouble, then I am fine with just a sort-of add-on to the existing menu system with a slight modification (having the full-body picture of the character on the right side of the menu similar to the screen shot).

My Blogsite

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
Bumping just so that I would not forget about this. Also, I added an updated list of the scripts I am currently using for this project plus a Demo with all of those scripts.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:42:21 PM by Sakura Martinez »

My Blogsite

Rep:
Level 97
Hmm, well no, I don't think I will do this if you want a Custom Status design beyond simply adding the title somewhere. I'm sure someone else will come along to take this, though.

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
I'm not really that keen on design. The functionality is what I am really after at this moment.
As long as it has that capability of each character gaining different titles and other functions that I've stated and that are stated in the FAQ I've added. I'm okay with that. I was only saying that it (the whole design thing) was preferable but not as much needed, as even now I am only using the default status menu.

My Blogsite

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
It's been a long time.
Bumping the topic.

My Blogsite