RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED]Can't See the Skills...

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
Either VX really hates me or something but I can't seem to see the skills that I have setup whenever I test my game.  It doesn't appear in the list of skills available for the character in the Skills Menu nor does it appear in choosing Skills in battle.
I've made sure to add it into the classes  > Skills to Learn, and I even set it up to Level 1 but the skill still doesn't appear.
Can anyone help me?  Thank you, oh, and Happy Valentine's Day as well!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 05:11:19 AM by Sakura Martinez »
Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.

My Blogsite

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Can you take a screenshot of the database entry for the skill and post it here? That might help in determining the problem. Also, what scripts are you using?

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
Here's the screenshot of the Skills Database for the Skill: Sougazan (Demon Fang) that I made.
Spoiler for:

And here is the screenshot of the classes database for that particular character/class that I wanted to have the skill in.
Spoiler for:

Thanks so much. ^_^

My Blogsite

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
Forum Lurker
You did give the character the proper class, right?
Online Fanarts Protection - I realised it stopped updating, but I deem it a good cause to promote

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
Yeah, I did.
That was the first thing I did before I made the skills to be honest.
I really don't understand what the problem is since I know I've set it up just right which makes this problem really frustrating... >_<

My Blogsite

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Use Message may help?
it's empty.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
I believe that the Use Message is not really that big a deal since even when looking at the Tankentai SBS demo, the skills there also do not have anything in the Use Message text boxes.

My Blogsite

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
Unequip all items off your characters. Then have an event that removes all your characters, then readds them initialized and add the levels you were at once again, and activate it in game. What this does is updates your character with any database changed stats/skills. As it does not update without initializing.

- -

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
I'm not at my computer with the RMVX installed but, that's the only thing I can do to make the skill appear?

My Blogsite

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I'm not at my computer with the RMVX installed but, that's the only thing I can do to make the skill appear?

I hadn't actually thought that you were using an old save file but yeah, moo's right - if your character's level is greater than or equal to the level you put the skill to be learned at, then yeah he won't learn it in that game. If you started a new game, the actor would learn it at level 1.

If you don't want to re-initialize the character for this playthrough, then what you can do is place an event near where your current savefile is and have it teach the skill. After saving that file, you can then remove that event. And for all new palythroughs, the character will learn it at the right level.

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
I don't use a save game whenever I test play my game. I always start from the beginning and even when I do that the character's skill still does not appear on the skill menu or even in battle.

My Blogsite

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
Wow that is strange... I hope you hit save whenever you start a test play then. I can't think of any other reason this might happen, so if all else fails, try reinstalling the application.

- -

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
Meh, if I fail to find any fix to this, I may just as well let the player start off without any skills. I've reinstalled the application already but it's still the same. No skills upon starting the game despite having set it up so that there would be a skill.

My Blogsite

Rep:
Level 97
That is very strange. Do you have any scripts that modify Game_Actor?

By default, the setup for actors:

Code: [Select]

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  # * Setup
  #     actor_id : actor ID
  #--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  def setup(actor_id)
    actor = $data_actors[actor_id]
    @actor_id = actor_id
    @name = actor.name
    @character_name = actor.character_name
    @character_index = actor.character_index
    @face_name = actor.face_name
    @face_index = actor.face_index
    @class_id = actor.class_id
    @weapon_id = actor.weapon_id
    @armor1_id = actor.armor1_id
    @armor2_id = actor.armor2_id
    @armor3_id = actor.armor3_id
    @armor4_id = actor.armor4_id
    @level = actor.initial_level
    @exp_list = Array.new(101)
    make_exp_list
    @exp = @exp_list[@level]
    @skills = []
    for i in self.class.learnings
      learn_skill(i.skill_id) if i.level <= @level
    end
    clear_extra_values
    recover_all
  end

As you can see, those skills should be learned. The only thing I can think of that would be fixable is if you are using any custom scripts that might mess with that.

Anyway, since they are startup skills, there is no reason why you can't just add them by a parallel process event when you start the game. So you don't need to sacrifice beginning skills.

Rep:
Level 84
Live it up!
The only custom scripts I have that deals with Game_Actor is the Tankentai Battle System but I doubt that that is the problem since I just basically copied the setup of the skill from one of the Tankentai Demos. I may just have to do it as you said Modern Algebra with the whole Parallel Process thing. Thanks for the help.

My Blogsite