RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Man cured of HIV after stem cell treatment.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 85
Real Men Make Fan Games
Project of the Month winner for May 2009
I find it ironic that we dump millions of dollars into HIV/AIDS research and an effective treatment comes out of an accident (or at least not on purpose).  Great find, haven't seen that one before.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I find it ironic that we dump millions of dollars into HIV/AIDS research and an effective treatment comes out of an accident (or at least not on purpose).  Great find, haven't seen that one before.

it's stem cells though.
it'll never be widely used.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space

it's stem cells though.

Adult stem cells though, not embryonic. Nobody has a problem with adult stem cells.

But yeah, it's a risky procedure. Must be totally awesome for that guy though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:31:43 PM by Modern Algebra »

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
That's pretty damn sweet. Although, yeah, they won't gain any heavy usage, for probably a LONG time.

it's stem cells though.

Adult stem cells though, not embryonic. Nobody has a problem with adult stem cells.

But yeah, it's a risky procedure. Must be totally awesome for that guy though.

Aren't they gathered from your mouth? Much safer than babies... =x

Rep:
Level 91
Blah blah blah...
Project of the Month winner for November 2008
I think they come from bone marrow. And if I recall, adult stem cells are different than baby ones, because embryo stem cells can create any human tissue. Adult stem cells are specific to certain parts of the body.
Either way, this is great news for a lot of people.

- -

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
not really, Moo
it's a very risky treatment if you read the whole article.
it's not likely to be widespread

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Risky cure for HIV vs. impending AIDS and death...

Gee, I wonder which one I would choose.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space

I'd probably choose impending AIDS and death, actually. After all, people can be HIV+ for years and years without it becoming AIDS, whereas 33% chance of immediate death ~ that's high.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Yeah, but a life where people alienate you because you have a disease that nobody understands. Fuck AIDS, I'd take the treatment.

Rep:
Level 97
Well, you don't have to go around telling everyone. And with 2.7 million new infections every year, not many do. Though I can understand choosing either route.

Chodemeister
Rep:
Level 84
lots of inventions and medicine is made by accident
I know rubber was an accident as an example.
Just makes you question what the money you donate is really doing
Tahl died when I got my WoW account activated lol
And I lost my GoE 1 & 2 unecrypted data when my backup harddrive died after I reformatted...go figure
-GoE http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30050.0.html
-GoE2 http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,30045.0.html

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
I bet that bro is like "FUCK MAN I CAN TAKE ON THE WORLD"

Cure for AIDS found, next is Cancer and after that we should look for a cure for stupidity. :I
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

it won't be widespread because people will see the treatment as unethical.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer

it won't be widespread because people will see the treatment as unethical.

The only widely viewed unethical treatment with stem cells is from embryonic stem cells, not from adult cells.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
The only widely viewed unethical treatment with stem cells is from embryonic stem cells, not from adult cells.

not the stem cell part.
the 33% risk of death part.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
lol glycoproteins :P

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
I'm too lazy to read the article, is this a cure for HIV only, or full-blown AIDS?
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
sigh HIV causes AIDS. so without HIV, AIDS is nothing more than a defficiency of white blood cells which can be made again :P.

This "treatment" mutates the white blood cells so HIV cant get into them.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Aha, I didn't actually know that, but it makes sense, and I recall it from the depth of my mind.

In that case it's an amazing discovery, I wonder at what point the treatment becomes ineffective. Otherwise, one could wait until their last year and get the treatment.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 84
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Wow. This is huge. This disease went from virtually non-existent in my parent's youth, to prominence slightly before I was born, to near epidemic in my lifetime, and finally a case has been cured.