RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] How do YOU get started on a composition?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Basically like the title says.

I'd like to know ;-;
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:26:57 AM by irock »

Full Metal Mod - He will pillage your women!
Rep:
Level 93
The RGSS Dude
I take my emotions at the time and try to express them musically.
"The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They’re bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I’m the only one, I’m the only one."

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Almost always because I'm transcribing or remixing/remaking something else, and I decide screw that, I'm going my own way with this =o

I do ok once I've got something to work with; getting something entirely original from scratch is hard for me though ;9
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Normally I develop a theme, whether through trying to write one in Finale or by playing on the piano. Then I start writing around the theme and begin sketching out ideas for the piece. Next I start a new file and use the sketches to write the piece. ~

Other times I like to just start writing and see where it goes, but obviously that's less fruitful than planning it out like above. Sometimes it works though, and some nice ideas come out.

A piano, or at least a keyboard, can be a composer's best friend. It helps a lot.
:tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
YAY! REPLIES!

Tsuno, you have such a hard method (P.S.: I was looking through onemanga.com and I saw that "Mysterious Girlfriend X" was updated and I thought of you. XDD)

I should try these all out some day. :3

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I get a good melody or something in my head, and then I transcribe it. Then I just go from there. Most of the time, it evolves into something completely different.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I do what Holk does, but since I'm not good I usually can't transcribe it how I wanted.
And these days every time I get a theme, I start on it and then delete it cuz I think its stupid ;-;

Arlen is hot.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I like how NW has the only reply that ends in a failure. :D Except I know that road far too well... ;9

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
That happens to everyone. Not every idea is a good idea. It may seem that way in your head and on paper, but once you actually hear it, it may be poop.
:tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Or maybe our imagination can just transcend our ability to write. :P

But yeah, most of my ideas do become poop.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
PERSEVERE, YOUNG MASTERMOO!

Sometimes when i work on music my opinion of myself is split between "I AM NOT WORTHY" and "WELL MAYBE I AM WORTHY. POSSIBLY." or "FUCK I SUCK AT THIS" and "PERSEVERE, YOUNG KITKAT!"

And that's all  :tpg:

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
As a "composer" of ambient music, I really just listen to the air around me and try and recreate the sound. Works better with quieter areas. :I
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Needs more arlen ;9

I still listen to his old demo frequently.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
If I come across a riff I write i'll write it down, then normally take things from there.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I grab my guitar, fuck around for a second, and then I'm like...hey, that's not half bad. I see if I can recreate it on my computer, then I run with it as far as I can.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
It depends on the type of music...

If it's boring old rock or whatever, I usually start by jamming out some chord progression on my guitar, and then building a melody around that. Or sometimes (but rarely) I'll go the other way, and start with the melody, and find something interesting that goes with it. Then I sit down at the computer and come up with a beat and a bass line, and yeah, it just kind of happens at that point.

If it's more of a pop song, I usually start with the beat. Usually in Reason or something, I dunno. And then I just kind of mess around and build around it until I find something I like.

If I'm doing something symphonic, I almost always sit at a keyboard and find a melody to build on. I'll take that melody and toss it around from one instrument to the next, making small changes to tempo, or trying things like repeating the melody but over a new chord or chord progression, so I have to alter the melody slightly so it fits. Or I'll try harmonizing, or splicing or layering them so they intersect and interact with each other.
Other times I again go for the whole chord thing, but since symphonic work isn't about verses and choruses it's more about modulating from different keys, or seeing how far away from the current chord I can get while still keeping one or two notes from the previous chord.
From there, it's just filler, really. Short melodic fragments get thrown in, rhythmic ideas work nice to give the piece drive, etc...
Again, at this point, it just kind of happens.
Though I often take cues from other composers, like Beethoven or Debussy, or even specific genres, like Gregorian Chant or Opera.

I don't do much ambient or texture work, but when I do I try to remember what I learned studying under this one teacher I had a year ago. He told me about building textural complexity from beginning to middle, and then leveling off at the end. So, I try to keep in mind what frequency range the sounds I'm using are in, and how complex the underlying texture is, and just kind of mess around and start recording until I get something I like.

Yeah.

lol

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Ahhh... I see... NO I DON'T D: The last two paragraphs on symphonic pieces and ambient/texture music hurt my brain. D:

Rep:
Level 96
Hah, sorry, it's a little difficult to put to words.

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
It depends on the type of music...

If it's boring old rock or whatever, I usually start by jamming out some chord progression on my guitar, and then building a melody around that. Or sometimes (but rarely) I'll go the other way, and start with the melody, and find something interesting that goes with it. Then I sit down at the computer and come up with a beat and a bass line, and yeah, it just kind of happens at that point.

If it's more of a pop song, I usually start with the beat. Usually in Reason or something, I dunno. And then I just kind of mess around and build around it until I find something I like.

If I'm doing something symphonic, I almost always sit at a keyboard and find a melody to build on. I'll take that melody and toss it around from one instrument to the next, making small changes to tempo, or trying things like repeating the melody but over a new chord or chord progression, so I have to alter the melody slightly so it fits. Or I'll try harmonizing, or splicing or layering them so they intersect and interact with each other.
Other times I again go for the whole chord thing, but since symphonic work isn't about verses and choruses it's more about modulating from different keys, or seeing how far away from the current chord I can get while still keeping one or two notes from the previous chord.
From there, it's just filler, really. Short melodic fragments get thrown in, rhythmic ideas work nice to give the piece drive, etc...
Again, at this point, it just kind of happens.
Though I often take cues from other composers, like Beethoven or Debussy, or even specific genres, like Gregorian Chant or Opera.

I don't do much ambient or texture work, but when I do I try to remember what I learned studying under this one teacher I had a year ago. He told me about building textural complexity from beginning to middle, and then leveling off at the end. So, I try to keep in mind what frequency range the sounds I'm using are in, and how complex the underlying texture is, and just kind of mess around and start recording until I get something I like.

Yeah.

lol

Arlen, if for whatever reason you were not my hero before this post, you are my hero now

;o;

Rep:
Level 96

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
You are the hero.

I love Firerain
Rep: