RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
MMORPGs vs. FPS

Poll

Who do you agree with?

Me
4 (25%)
My friend
2 (12.5%)
dwarra
10 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
My friend says MMORPGs require no skill. I agree with that. He happens to say, though, that you require no life to play them.

He argues FPS games require skill which is somehow acquired only by those who have the "potential" in the beginning. In other words, some people just suck at it no matter how long they play (like, seriously. He says even if you try until you reach the end of eternity, you still will suck).

I argue that although FPS games require skill, MMORPGs require patience to be able to level and quest and etc. Both of these are acquired through time. He argues, continuously, that any retard can play MMORPGs and only some people can play FPS.

Who do you agree with?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
they both require a different type of skill.

FPS requires timing and reaction time, whereas MMOs usually require strategy and teamwork, and a lot of patience.

Also: when I first started playing TF2, I sucked horribly at Pyro, now I'm a good pyro because I practiced repeatedly.  Anyone can get good at any type of game, they just need to set their minds to it.

It sounds like your friend is just a total elitist FPS douche, sorry for being so blunt.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Lol I'm not offended at all. He does play MMOs, but like you said, he's a "total elitist FPS douche," lol.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Lol I'm not offended at all. He does play MMOs, but like you said, he's a "total elitist FPS douche," lol.

lemme guess, he plays Halo 3 on XBL?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Lol he plays Gunz. :V

(11:20:50 AM): uh huh im sure
(11:20:54 AM): they're just blind to the truth
(11:21:03 AM): to play gunz you need fast fingers and skill
(11:21:13 AM): you dont just get fast fingers

I wonder how people play guitar fast.

(11:24:15 AM): maplestory = no life gunz = skill
(11:24:17 AM): GG

We're disputing MS vs. Gunz, btw, lol.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:25:00 PM by mastermoo420 »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Lol he plays Gunz. :V

(11:20:50 AM): uh huh im sure
(11:20:54 AM): they're just blind to the truth
(11:21:03 AM): to play gunz you need fast fingers and skill
(11:21:13 AM): you dont just get fast fingers

I wonder how people play guitar fast.

practice. =o

how old is he?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
it sounds like he's trying to boost his own ego and make himself seem special, because, as he puts it, he's one of an elite group of people who are just born with the ability to be good at a game.

let him suck his own dick for a while, until he realizes he's really not special at all :P

edit: here is your friend.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StopHavingFunGuys

Third Person Shooter

* Expect to be called a noob for doing... just about anything outside of using the advanced sword cancel techniques with shotguns in the online game GunZ the Duel. Even using the most accurate rifle in the game, you'll be doing nothing but spraying wildly... even after you nail an opponent 14 times in the chest. Using a dagger to knock someone down and shooting them while they're on the ground because they didn't jump out of it? You're being a dagger noob.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:42:58 PM by NAMKCOR »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I don't even think he was born with the ability to be good at a game, lol. He says he's played that FPS since it came out. On and off, but still.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
it sounds like he's trying to boost his own ego and make himself seem special, because, as he puts it, he's one of an elite group of people who are just born with the ability to be good at a game.

let him suck his own dick for a while, until he realizes he's really not special at all :P

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
your friend is a dumbass and so are you moo, mmo's do require skill same as any game.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Lol what? I'm going by the stereotypical "skill" of "you need to be able to own on the spot without previous saves/stuff."

I also said this just to see his reaction:
Me (1:20:26 PM): W/e, fine
Me (1:20:28 PM): You're right, I'm wrong
Him (1:20:45 PM): lmao

I still believe I'm right, though. >_>

EDIT: Oh yeah, this also happens to be that same friend who thinks FL is the shiz.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 06:45:22 PM by mastermoo420 »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
FPS skill requirements:
-The ability to render every attempt at conversation via teamspeak into an amalgamation of "nigger" and "noob".
-Sudden onset blindness to Halo's cookie-cutter gameplay and bouts of Bungie worship.
-Inability to follow, or want to follow any storyline whatsoever. (sometimes known as "itchy-trigger-finger syndrome"
-A belief that life skills matter less than achievement points.

MMO skill requirements:
-No friends in the real world.
-The willingness to lose a large chunk of your otherwise uneventful life.
-Linguistic amnesia, devolving into speaking in gibberish.
-A sock to shit into.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
When you said Halo, I thought you meant our HOTS, lol.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
FPS skill requirements:
-The ability to render every attempt at conversation via teamspeak into an amalgamation of "nigger" and "noob".
-Sudden onset blindness to Halo's cookie-cutter gameplay and bouts of Bungie worship.
-Inability to follow, or want to follow any storyline whatsoever. (sometimes known as "itchy-trigger-finger syndrome"
-A belief that life skills matter less than achievement points.

MMO skill requirements:
-The willingness to lose a large chunk of your otherwise uneventful life.
-Linguistic amnesia, devolving into speaking in gibberish.
-A sock to shit into.

:tpg:

Those really only apply to WoW, any generic asian MMO and Halo, though.
WoW gives you every spell you've ever learned on your skill bar, and essentially allows massive spamming of the most powerful skill in the game.
Halo is a relatively solid FPS, btu a generic and linear ride with mediocre vehicles and an awful community. Not to mention the single player and story line...

Almost any game requires skill, and no, you're not born with it, anyone can get good at a game. That's douche baggery talking.  :-\

Rep:
Level 88
I just think this a really dumb comparison. The only things these 2 have in common is that they are both video games and FPS can be online. They are completely different genres.

Also, tell your friend that Gunz is usually classified as a MMORPG because of the RPG elements to it like levels. Also, Gunz's community sucks. It's full of "total elitist FPS douches".
MMO skill requirements:
I guess I suck at those then. I have friends in the real world, but I can't seem to make any online friends. ;8

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I just think this a really dumb comparison. The only things these 2 have in common is that they are both video games and FPS can be online. They are completely different genres.
That's the example I gave, kinda. :D They're like apples and oranges. They're completely different but they share certain similarities. For one, they're both games and for both, you require time and work to get to a "pro" level.

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
I'm not sure, I'm not really a big fan of either.

MMORPG's are too laggy for my shitty computer, and I can't find anything new and interesting in these next generation FPS games. I get pissed off in Halo when killed by a rocket launcher. Sniping is too easy. I mean, relatively, when mastering a FPS, you've mastered almost all of the ones in the future.

I still play Star Ocean: The Second Story... just because I prefer offline RPGs.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I like Star Ocean as well, but Halo is not a next-gen FPS. Play Bioshock or Dead Space.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I like Star Ocean as well, but Halo is not a next-gen FPS. Play Bioshock or Dead Space.

Dead Space isn't a FPS either.

Rep:
Level 94
It's close enough. The only reason that they made it over the shoulder was to eliminate any sort of on screen HUD.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
It's close enough. The only reason that they made it over the shoulder was to eliminate any sort of on screen HUD.

Why are people making such big deals out of HUDs? HUDs can be done very well, and generally are. I find it annoying whne the HUD is really hard to see. Have not played Dead Space, though.

Rep:
Level 94
Dead Space has a great system. Your health is shown on the spine of your suit, and your ammo is on the back of the gun. It's really an awesome setup. Anyway, I'm done hijacking this thread.

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
ITT: Comparing apples and dogs.

Also, I've said this before, but don't you think an AR PEE GEE forum might be biased? Just a bit?