RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Visual] My first drawing colored in Photoshop

Rep:
Level 88
Something something events
Project of the Month winner for December 2008
I spent about an hour, almost two, on this just trying to learn the ropes of photoshop and how to color pictures in it (and using layers). I had to outline my pencil sketch using my mouse because I lack a tablet and my mouse randomly switchs sensitivity on me. For my first drawing in photoshop I think it came out decent, though I did have difficulty with coloring the skin, and I still think it looks off  :-\ Pretty much just used layers, brush and blur options. The drawing is of Mihli from my game~

pencil

Spoiler for:

Colored

Spoiler for:

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:36:54 PM by boe »

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Well the first thing I noticed was squiggly lines :<
And the eyes might need some spicing up :)
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 88
Is there any program/tool used to convert pencil lines to an outline? Because with a mouse thats the best I could do . :-[ Also I saved the file in PS form so I can go back and edit the eyes

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Use Illustrator, and watch a few Pen Tool tutorials.

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
If you do a good job inking on paper, then scan it in, you won't have to worry about redrawing the lines.  Playing with the brightness/contrast and a few other tricks such as selection smoothing would suffice.  If you choose to go this route and want a more in depth explanation, just let me know. =)

Doneski
Rep:
Level 86
Use Illustrator, and watch a few Pen Tool tutorials.

Photoshop also has a pen tool, although Illustrator's is probably better for that type of thing. idk though never used illustrator lol.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Yeah, since Illustrator is vector-based, the pen tool is capable of creating much better outlines.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I usually ink my work before scanning it, so I usually don't have to re-do outlines.

that being said, her eyes need pupils.
they look kinda blank, like she's possessed.

also, keep in mind that a face isn't flat.
there should be some shine and shadow more than just where the hair reaches over the forehead.
and there'd be more shine on areas of the hair as well.
I'd look into shine and shading tutorials (lol I should too sometime)

lastly I'd suggest the smudge tool for mixing shades, rather than the blur tool.
You can set it to a solid or an airbrush-like pen tool to get different mixing effects.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Photoshop Pen Tool does an equally fine job if you don't need a vector.
As long as it's a high enough res/dpi it'll look fine.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 88
Thanks everyone for all the advice  :) This really means a lot to me since I just started using PS, and I really want to get better at it. I downloaded the trial for Illustrator so I'll mess around with that, and thanks Nouman for those guides/websites. Also, the next drawing I'll do I'll make sure to add in the pupils .-. To be honest, just up to recently most the eyes I've drawn haven't had pupils.

This is a picture I'm still working on at school (Picture taken with phone, not scanned) (I havent touched up on the coloring which is why it looks sketchy)
Spoiler for:

As this is what I did last year in my art class, which, they don't have pupils =x

Spoiler for:

But again, thank you all for your advice  :)