RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Things I want to include in battles (Plz help)...

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
I hope this is the right forum.
I'm making a game (first one yay!) in rm2k3, and I want to make the battle system as Pokemon-like as possible.
Specifically:
Attack: Which of the ones the hero knows?
Magic: What spell?
Item: What item?
...and, of course, escape!

...And no gauge!!! I want it to be turn-based.

I know nothing of Ruby, so if anyone can help, please be as specific as you can.
If you know how to at least do some of the things I want, please help.

Sorry if my English are kind of bad.
Thanks in advance!

Rep:
Level 84
Sorry man, but RM2k3 is atb only, unless you go custom, which may be a pain, depending on your skill level.  Also, a couple of questions; you mentioned pokemon like; does this mean you want an extremely limited number of skills available? also, if you plan on using pokemon's PP based setup for attacks, you'll be forced to use a CBS. I'll try to clear things up for you as best as i can, but details would be very much appreciated.

I don't think it's nessesary to include PP or limited attacks. But if you have any script about PP it could be used in spells.
I don't know anything about programming (I do almost everything using switches), but if you have Ruby scripts and tell me where and how to use them to do what I want, I could try and see how it goes.
I knew I have to go custom, but just forgot to mention it.

Rep:
Level 88
As far as I know, there is no way to really change the battle system of RM2k3, as RM2k3 doesn't have a script editor like RMXP.

You could, in theory, try and do something with events, but that could be a long, hard process.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Or you could be creative.

Pokemon, right?
Ok now, I can explain how to get the "your player on the bottom left and enemy at top"

Ok, take your battle background.png file where the players will have a battle.
Now, draw 2 circles. One where your player should be and one where the enemy should be.

Now, you know that battle setting which allows you to chose where your players will be on the battle screen? drag your players so that they stand on the box. Drag your enemies (you should know where you can set this, or else don't use rm) and drag them and place them on the top circle.

Now, 2 things:
1. Make a good circle, don't just make a round on the ground. Add detail, get someone to do it.
2. Instead of having the same background, but a plain background with circles as in pokemon. But have good details etc.

This is just for the look, the rest does itself actually, just having the options in the lists, not in the side.

I hope you got it, if not, ask me and I'll load some screenies tomorrow.

Once again, sherlock has cracked the case, don't you just love it!
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 84
Ok, let me make this real simple; be as detailed about the system you have in mind as possible. Also, since you are going custom, you'll be dealing with a ton of variables, so get used to em fast. also, its pretty safe to say you'll be using either a lot of charactersets, pictures, or a combination of the 2. but as i said before, go into as much detail about what you want this system to do and not do, so that we can help you figure out whats needed for the job.

Thanks everybody.
All I want to change is the Attack --> What attack, Spell --> what spell, Item --> what item thingie and to exclude the gauge.

I don't need anything else changed.
If it can't be done, I'll just experiment some more with the switches and sit to learn about the variables.

If anyone can give me any leads, please do.

Rep:
Level 84
if the atb wasn't an issue for you, you could just use 2 skill subsets, one for the physical attacks, and one for the magical attacks, and have a command for the physical attacks and so forth. However I can tell you right now that a CBS is anythin but easy. I'll give you a rough idea of what your dealing with

*variables for stats
*damage,healing calculations
*determining who goes when
*making the charactersets and or pictures do what you want when you want
*battle interface
*tracking who has what skills

there more, but this is just a rough idea of what you need to be ready to make if you seriously want to do this.

I don't want battle animations or anything, I just want the choices, Pokemon-like.
If anyone can give me specific instructions of how to do it, I can give it a try...
I also intent to freeze levels (no level up) and not pay any attention to stats (wipe them out of the game completely if I can). The char development will only be stronger and stronger attacks, spells or physical (or items).

Rep:
Level 84
wow, you're really stripping it down, in fact, this isn't even a minimalist approach. Are you going for an all or nothing Rock paper scissors system here? also, how do you plan on tracking advancements, if there's even any point to it?

Let me put it simply; I think it would be best if you went into explicit detail about how this battle system would work and flow, that way, we can tell you exactly whats needed to get the job done.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
If you have flash, try showing us in animations what you want
Or use paint to do it.

You're telling us to count stars here

/newphrase.
Arlen is hot.

I didn't know what I ask is so difficult! Well, something struck me yesterday, so I tried it, and it worked!!! I just renamed the "Skill" to "Attack", and made attacks to include in it!!!! I feel kind of embarassed now that I didn't think of it earlier...

I still want to exclude the Gauge, though, to make it entirely turn based. Any help on that?

What I have in mind is something like a turn-based Zelda. In Zelda you didn't go up levels or stats, you just find better weapons. But I also like Pokemon, so I want to fuse the two battle systems. Instead of better weapons, you will learn stronger attacks to use in turn based battles.

I'm in a hurry, so I can't provide you with more details. Only thing I want now is to exclude the gauge and I'll be ready. Can anyone help me with that?

Merry Xmas everybody, and happy holidays!!!  ;D ;D ;8

Rep:
Level 84
I didn't know what I ask is so difficult! Well, something struck me yesterday, so I tried it, and it worked!!! I just renamed the "Skill" to "Attack", and made attacks to include in it!!!! I feel kind of embarassed now that I didn't think of it earlier...

I still want to exclude the Gauge, though, to make it entirely turn based. Any help on that?

What I have in mind is something like a turn-based Zelda. In Zelda you didn't go up levels or stats, you just find better weapons. But I also like Pokemon, so I want to fuse the two battle systems. Instead of better weapons, you will learn stronger attacks to use in turn based battles.
if the atb wasn't an issue for you, you could just use 2 skill subsets, one for the physical attacks, and one for the magical attacks, and have a command for the physical attacks and so forth.

Was my explanation that hard to understand? no matter. one thing i want to put emphasis on again is skill subsets, because I'm sure you dont want skills from from command to be in another (btw, sacred earth bonds has a great example of the attack based skills and the magic based skills).

As for the turn based stuff, you'd either have to go RM2k, which is lousy when it comes to seperate commands versus RM2K3's, which has what you need there. However, you seem strongly in favor of turnbased and commands with specific, so you're either going to have to either use a CBS, use another maker and learn scripting (both of which you'll probably need help making, regardless of which you choose). Though to be honest, I would try making ATB flow of battle work for you. just something to consider.

Now about your system toward advancement. Now im sure you're well aware of the seed type items for boosting stats, and skill book type for learning new moves. However, you said that you wanted to take out weapons. However, I wished to point out that they can offer you yet another way to advance stats which in turn, can help some skills be better, depending how the skill is set up. well, that's just how I'm seeing it. if you have any more questions or want demos of how to make some of this stuff work/possibly work, let me know, but just a reminder; RM2K3 does not do Turn based battles by default.

Since I only surf around the indernet in work, I'm always in a bit of a hurry. I read your explaination but forgot about it later LOL!  :tpg: It could save me a lot of trouble had I remembered it!

I know RM2k3 doesen't have turn based battles by default, so I need help to modify it. I have worked a lot in that game to remake it to another version. If you know how I can make it turn based, please help.

Rep:
Level 84
alright, heres a few ideas you can toy with. first, theres the wait/active function. while this will only stop enemies while you're picking an item or a skill, its probably the easiest method.

the only other thing i can think of is going custom, but i really think you should just try setting it to "wait" and see if you can maybe mod the DBS with some events to make it closer, though not true turnbased.

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
If you're actually trying to make a Pokémon game then there is a very good Pokémon game-kit out for RMXP (or maybe it is RMVX, I forget) that contains chipsets, charsets, scripts for battle systems and menus etc. with it. I'd recommend using that. If all you want is a turn-based system then use RM2K as it will save you a lot of trouble (turning RM2K3 into a turn-based affair would be very, very difficult.

As far as I know, there is no way to really change the battle system of RM2k3, as RM2k3 doesn't have a script editor like RMXP.

You could, in theory, try and do something with events, but that could be a long, hard process.

What? Before RMXP came out there where several games that had custom battle systems made using events. In fact, there still are. People now are so obsessed with RGSS it is sickening, especially since most people just rip-off other people's scripts and don't bother learning how to actually use RGSS.

Rep:
Level 88

What? Before RMXP came out there where several games that had custom battle systems made using events. In fact, there still are. People now are so obsessed with RGSS it is sickening, especially since most people just rip-off other people's scripts and don't bother learning how to actually use RGSS.
I've learned different now. I never really knew what people could do with RM2k3. Although I can honestly say I have no idea how you people manage those systems, so I'll just stick to what I know.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
custom menus in eventing is a lot of picture work and custom battle is a lot of picture work and battle control commands.  It's not impossible, it's just difficult.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
It's...

Spoiler for:

Not...

Spoiler for:

Difficult...

Spoiler for:

These are all map-based and simplistic, I know, but they function and do what they are there to do. And that is all a custom system really needs to do; fit in graphically and function properly (Admittedly, that last screen is old, the difference in font has now been fixed...)

Still, to make a Pokémon system it would be better to use the RMXP Pokémon kit just because it is there, ready and waiting. I just can't remember where that was hosted...