RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
how can i make my whole game on on big map?

Rep:
Level 84
is it possible to make a whole game on one big map.

plz help

PS: i am new at the forum

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
:taco: :taco: :taco:

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
Yes it is, but it might run slow due to the amount of events. You can get scripts to counter this however. Also, the size of map will eventually be limited, so the game you create might not be able to be too long because of them.

Rep:
Level 84
i ment is it possible to make a runescape like game with one gigantic map

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
I guess so but like I said, there is a limit to the size of the map. It depends on how big you want your game to be.

Rep:
Level 84
yes i know that the limitation is at 500, 500 but is there any way to make a map bigger than that

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Rpg maker loads the entire map as you enter it, Runescape, however, only loads parts of the map. That's why when you're walking "Loading" pops up in the middle of the screen for a second. Scripts can't expand the editor itself, only the way the game runs. Though, it is possible to make a series of maps that appear to be the same map, using events. Zeriab wrote a tutorial on doing it. Hopefully he'll come to the rescue. .-.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
Yeah you can transfer without fade and if you get everything right (both parts of the map you will be able to see from both maps identical), the player won't notice the change. Except there will be a little pause, which might cause problems.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Yeah you can transfer without fade and if you get everything right (both parts of the map you will be able to see from both maps identical), the player won't notice the change. Except there will be a little pause, which might cause problems.

That would only make it more and more like Runescape.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88

Isn't that what he wants? Or are you making some comment about the pause? lol, I've never played it myself so wouldn't know!  :blizj:

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox

Or are you making some comment about the pause?
yes

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I once made a little demo where I made 9 maps seem as one map: http://zeriab.plesk3.freepgs.com/root/events/BigWorld.rar
Please note that the positions of events will not be retained when changing map. You are not able to see that effect in my demo.

I believe there is a maplink script out there although how it exactly it works I do not know.

*hugs*
 - Zeriab

Rep:
Level 84
thanks Zeriabs but i thought i could do almost everything in eventing it turns out i cant do much

so could you plz make a tutorial on the teleportation events

thanks ;)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 07:20:43 PM by even821 »

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
If you are indeed going to have the whole world work as if it's just one map and it is a fair size then I recommend you requesting a custom map system script. This especially holds if you estimate that 1000x1000 is not enough.
You would need a much more scalable structure with caching and cutting corners the right places.
I'm not saying you can't do it properly with events (I can't). I'm saying that it's an area where getting a script specifically for the purpose would be the best way to tackle the problem.

On a side note: I may make a tutorial about transferring between maps (teleporting) some time although no guarantee.

*hugs*

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I'll make one for VX and link to it in a little bit. My game is based off the seamless transition from map to map.

Rep:
Level 84
ok looking forward to it

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
why would you want to?
I mean...as you can tell, it's significantly difficult compared to just making multiple smaller maps.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
that is what i did ._.

(make a lot of smaller maps I mean.)