RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
ISP changing (currently on Virgin lol)

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
In a way, this is one of the reasons why I haven't posted in a while.

Anyway...

Virgin has finally hit our connection; throttling it to dial-up speeds whenever it smells P2P connections. Me and my Dad torrent nearly all the time, so I thought it would be a good idea to reccommend a new ISP (be) since we couldn't do what we actually got this fast 20MB/s connection from Virgin for in the first place.

He is always a bit paranoid when it comes to things like this, especially when I say what we could do, so he gave me a few reasons why he does not want to change ISP:

• It would mean getting a BT phone connection again.
  • He will lose his TV service/
  • It's a stupid idea.

Ironically, he normally just watches the shows and movies he torrented on TV anyway.

While I am typing this, he is trying to download a 720p movie at 10KB/s, while also making it virtually impossible for anyone else to do anything on the connection.

So, can anyone give reasons why we SHOULD change ISPs? This should get my Dad to think about it instead of just insta-rejecting the idea.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Because being less frustrated leads to a happier life.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
im with virgin and i still download at like up to 500kb/s if they knew youd been pirating you would have got letterz

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Tried enabling protocol encryption? Or thought about usenet?

Be kick ass, lub them :3

BT Aren't so bad (for just the phone service), just stay away from their broadband. We just use the basic 5 channels & freeview here, enough for us, so than handles TV.
bringing sexy back

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Tried enabling protocol encryption? Or thought about usenet?

I enabled protocol encryption right after we started using our clients.

Be kick ass, lub them :3

BT Aren't so bad (for just the phone service), just stay away from their broadband. We just use the basic 5 channels & freeview here, enough for us, so than handles TV.

Exactly what I said to my Dad, £10 line rental on top of be unlimited will STILL be under the cost of Virgin Media's £30 mark per month. We hardly use the phone at all anyway, so I can't see the phone bill being stupidly high.

Oh and my Dad has never heard of usenet, so he will not try it at all. :tpg:

It seems like he needs some evidence (even though he has a lot of it) that shows that it would be a wise move to change ISP.