RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Grid Inventory Feedback

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Okay, so I've started working on a new Grid Inventory Script and was looking for some feedback on the current design. I will make a VX version once this one is completed and bug free.

Anyway, comments? critiques?

Also, if anyone wants to design a graphic pack to be released with the script then that would be awesome. See Recruitment for Item/Armor/Weapon Pictures for details on what I'm looking for.

The grid can expand, of course, to as much as the user wants it

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
The grid could, in my opinion, be a bit bigger (Bigger as in more zoomed in on). It might be just me but I find it to be a bit too tiny, lol ;(

Other than that it's looking neat. Good luck with it.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
The grid area and character sprite area looks too empty. Perhaps add the character names over/under the sprites? I don't know what you could do with the grid area, besides make it bigger.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
The grid size can be enlarged by the user if they so desire. It's like 6 x 9 there, but could just as easily go to 18 x 15 or anything. I wanted to set the size of each square to a maximum of 32 however for standardizing graphic sizes. I agree that it looks very tiny though - I'll have to set a default a little larger I suppose, so that it doesn't turn anyone off.

Irock, you're right about the character area being too large. I'm not too sure what I'll do about that. I wanted it to be sufficiently large that it could be adapted for large party scripts, so that it could show 8 actors if need be. I also wanted sprites larger than average to fit it. This may however be unreasonable. I think I will take your suggestion and reduce it vertically. Do you think it needs to be reduced horizontally as well? I will get back to you soon on what it looks like after the vertical reduction.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I think I love you. :3

Also, Irock, I love your avatar too. :3

Rep:
Level 97
OK, I reduced vertical size of the top. Better?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 06:30:49 PM by modern algebra »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I like that size. Question. Does the grid have to be a square?

Or can it be like:

[][][][][]
[][][][][]
[][][][][][]
[][][][][][]
[][][][][][]

Or would that grid structure end up having to look like:

[][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][]
7x4

If so, I take it a prime number of slots is out of the question?

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah, sorry - it does have to be a rectangle. So yeah, any prime number is impossible unless you have a single column (2x1, 3x1, 5x1, 7x1, 11x1, etc...)

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Hah, yeah that'd be odd. Also, is there an importance to the colored backgrounds of the items in the grid? I see that the weapons are red, armor is yellow, items white. Is it just categorized like that or would that be customizable for objects like: Weapons/Armors/Items etc, red background meaning unusable at the moment, yellow meaning something like you meet the minimum requirements to use said object and green or something meaning that the object is very usable, but you more than likely have better options.

Rep:
Level 97
It's categorized by item type yeah. The colors used are customizable though, so you make items any colour, not just white. As for usable/unusable - there is no colour-coding system for that in place. I think it's more important to colour code by type, especially for people who opt to use icons instead of pictures for their weapon graphics. The way it currently works is that when you press enter on an item, a menu comes up with a number of options - if it is not usable (or equippable) that option will be greyed out.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Well. It sounds very cool. Also, I think I'll attach some things for a graphic pack in that other topic later when I'm less busy to do it.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
As a suggestion, maybe you could add in the option to use your own graphics where the character sprites are? A whole bunch of games use facesets, and those could possibly look okay in that place.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
it's looking good so far, and I agree with Skanx.  Face sets would be nice.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
not that i need it for anything, but would it be possible for the player to buy an item from a shop that would allow them to increase the amount of slots? much like the different size attache cases in Resident evil 4.

Rep:
Level 97
@Strike - yes

@Rasse & NAM - I already allow people to choose different graphics for their actors with the script, but with the size I reduced it to it will make it a tight fit for most facesets, and since sprites are default I think I should use that size. Do you think it would be a good idea to allow the user to choose how tall the actor window is though?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 09:59:42 PM by modern algebra »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
What's going on in upper right corner window? Is that a piece of parchment or like a brown sack? I think that window looks odd since it isn't aligned with anything in the column.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
modern allowing the window s
Do you think it would be a good idea to allow the user to choose how tall the actor window is though?
that'd make it a bit more versatile so it'd probably be a good plan.

Rep:
Level 97
What's going on in upper right corner window? Is that a piece of parchment or like a brown sack? I think that window looks odd since it isn't aligned with anything in the column.

It's a sack, but that's a graphic the user can choose. That window is for the "loot" inventory. Or chest, or whatever. Basically, if you get too many items and want to throw one away, it goes to that inventory. It could also be any other type of inventory though, so if you're accessing a chest for instance, you can take stuff out of it and put stuff into it and its permanent.

Also, I moved things around a little bit because I thought the alignment looked off too. I'm not going to change it, because it is a necessary window, but I think this layout makes it less odd looking.

And I am allowing the user to change the height, but only between 96 and 128 - the Info window couldn't handle anything greater than 128. <96 is OK too, but not if they are using default sprites, though actually, it will shrink them accordingly.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 02:52:07 AM by modern algebra »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Very cool, I like that newer layout much better.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
looks very nice, Modern.

I'm glad you're working on this script again :D

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Hey, does the transparent colored background need to be apart of the image file? Or is that customizable in game?

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
I finished the graphic package. It's about 7Mb in size (zipped), 20Mb (not zipped), and over 250 images. I'll post a screen shot here of a mock inventory with these graphics.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:50:48 AM by grafikal006 »

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Those are really neat :o
Looking good, modern ^_^
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 84
Wow, i was wondering if I'd ever see anything remotely like this. I hope this gets a release soon.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
How's this coming along MA? :)