RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
New Computer [Resolved]

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
My parents are buying me a new computer for Christmas, and my Dad wants me to go with him to look at them. I don't really know much about the specs, other than a lot of RAM is good, and I need a fast processor. I need some help searching through what is out there, so here's a list of a few things that I'd like it to do:

~ Play current games smoothly. For example: Oblivion, Source, Neverwinter Nights II, etc.

~ Run Garritan Personal Orchestra.

~ Have enough HD space for my huge music, movie, and game collection.

Kyriel has recommended this, which comes with:

Spoiler for:
#  19" Dell SE198WFP widescreen LCD monitor
   Presents 1440 x 900 resolution, 600:1 contrast and 8-ms. typical response rate
#    Intel Core 2 Q6600 Quad-Core processor
   Delivers the processing power to efficiently run today's demanding software
#    3 GB of DDR2 system memory, 667 MHz
   Offers excellent performance for today's demanding applications
#    320 GB hard drive
   Provides plenty of storage space for documents, games, music, photos and videos
#    DVD+/-RW drive
   Lets you burn and play DVDs and CDs for entertainment and data backup
#    19-in-1 digital media card reader
   Reads the most popular memory card formats so you can transfer photos, music or documents
#    10/100/1000 Gigabit network interface and 56K modem
   Connects to the Internet via DSL, cable or dial-up service
#    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition with Service Pack 1
   Makes your total computing experience more efficient, more secure and more fun

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:12:10 PM by Holk »

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Musician2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 King of RMRK2013 Funniest MemberFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
I rarely use Garritan anymore, but when I did, I had less than a gigabyte of RAM and it stell ran pretty well unless I tried to load a full orchestra. And what Garritan means by a full orchestra is literally loading 2 clarinets, 3 trumpets, etc.; exactly the number of instruments you want, rather than loading just one of each. So really it's not as heavy on RAM as they make it out to be. Well, depending on what quality you're going for. But I always had one sample of each instrument loaded (and the brass requires overlays) and it sounded pretty good.

tl;dr: You'll have more than enough RAM to run Garritan.

Garritan does have a few drawbacks though, as far as quality.
*The oboe sounds like shit.
*Not much percussion
*The percussion sounds like shit.
*French horn isn't that great, but it's alright.

That being said, the piano and solo string instruments are beautiful. Though, you may want to think about someday adding this (1|2) for more percussion. Obviously if you did that would be further down the road considering the high price, but still.

Yeah, uh, that's all the help I can offer. :3
:tinysmile:

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
newest processors are the i7 line, and why not built it yourself :)

ton of fun, and will teach you something too. what was the price of that dell listed above?
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
newest processors are the i7 line, and why not built it yourself :)

ton of fun, and will teach you something too. what was the price of that dell listed above?
[01:43] <Kyriel> someone asked me why I don't build computers for people anymore
[01:44] <Kyriel> I told them that I can't compete with dell's value
[01:44] <Kyriel> their margins are so low, they can build a better system than I can,

$998.00

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Well you saw what I built for you with $800 =)

And dell makes their machines sound good, but they'll be cutting alot of corners that the average user won't notice. Most users only care about the screen, CPU, memory and hard drive space.

You probably don't know that 667Mhz memory is shit. They will put the weakest and cheapest PSU possible inside there. They will use the most outdated chipset (and therefore cheapest) possible that they can to go with that q6600. I could go to newegg and build something for that $900 there that would not only have more of everything and last alot longer, but also give you some change. Building it yourself is a much better option, it's not that hard really.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
After much looking and questioning of my friends, I have decided to go with nearly the setup that Roph had proposed.  Here is an image of the parts.

Comments?

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
dual cores are on their way out especially with their i7 line, but its a solid machine I suppose.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Buying a quad core (with the intention of actually having a use for those cores, almost all of the time 3 of nouman's cores will be doing nothing at all) now is akin to buying an athlon 64 when they first came out.

If you bought an Athlon 64 when they first came out BECAUSE it was 64 bit, now that 64 bit vista is available (and still you might argue not ready; almost all the computing world is still in the 32 bit era) you'll find that your Athlon 64 is a bit weak for the task, and you'll need a new 64 bit capable CPU to get your mileage out of it.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Buying a quad core (with the intention of actually having a use for those cores, almost all of the time 3 of nouman's cores will be doing nothing at all) now is akin to buying an athlon 64 when they first came out.

I find this to be an immensely attractive prospect.

Rep:
Level 94
I think he's trying to say that there's absolutely no reason to have one, and by the time there is a reason, the current ones will be outdated.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I think he's trying to say that there's absolutely no reason to have one, and by the time there is a reason, the current ones will be outdated.

Not really, with new software on the way (such as 10.6, windows 7 should follow) multi core use will be included. By that time, that dual core will be puny. If multi core's don't work, then what would you even need two cores, right?

Rep:
Level 84
Both Mac OS X and Vista are programmed for multi-core systems, they're just not yet optimized uniformly on the API level - with the release of OpenCL for Snow Leopard, Apple is going to beat Microsoft to the punch yet again. ;)

P.S., OS X has been coded for multi-processor systems since it was first released back in 2001 - adapting the code for multicore processors was simple.
"Why must we continue to fight amongst ourselves, and thereby further pollute the Earth?"
-Casval Rem Deikun

"So I be written in the Book of Love,
I do not care about that Book above.
Erase my name or write it as you will,
So I be written in the Book of Love."
-Omar Khayyám

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Both Mac OS X and Vista are programmed for multi-core systems, they're just not yet optimized uniformly on the API level - with the release of OpenCL for Snow Leopard, Apple is going to beat Microsoft to the punch yet again. ;)

P.S., OS X has been coded for multi-processor systems since it was first released back in 2001 - adapting the code for multicore processors was simple.
At least you can play games on a Windows PC.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
At least you can play games on a Windows PC.
~ Play current games smoothly. For example: Oblivion, Source, Neverwinter Nights II, etc.
Game Set match

Mac vs PC discussion averted.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:05:35 AM by Strike Reyhi »

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
There's plenty of things on Macs you would need more powerful processors for.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1215&Itemid=66

But holk wants to play games. :3

Rep:
Level 102
Uh XP came out in 2001 also, and also supported multiple CPUs or Cores?

NT Before that also did, therefore MS beat apple to it? Who cares anyway.

I find this to be an immensely attractive prospect.

Read the next part. Nobody nowadays is running Vista 64 and taking advantage of 64 bit computing on an old single core Athlon 64 3000+.
bringing sexy back

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
My only bit of advice is to avoid Dell like a plague.

Dell knowingly sells bad hardware, which will break
they modify hardware to require that you use their in-house drivers, which are less efficient than the official drivers
their customer service is essentially "reformat your computer and reinstall windows"

and you can get a much better value either building your own, or going to another company.

I.e. Listen to Roph :3

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
i bought a dell in 2006 and its still running fine :D i dont see the problem with them

however wouldnt by from them again now. as they are overpriced :P

Rep:
Level 94
Sent the order out about two hours ago.

I got what I had listed in that screenshot, only got a 1TB HD, and a 22" widescreen monitor, too.

Rep:
Level 102
What kind of hard drive and monitor did you get? :O

Rep:
Level 94
I got the same HD that you did. When I went to send my order out, the 500GB one had sold out. My dad was like, "Fuck it, just get the big one." So, I did.

The monitor is a 22" Acer widescreen.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
why not a faster hardrive for the OS and OS only? Personally, I wouldn't want to be stuck with one drive holding ALL my data, but just be sure to back it up I suppose.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
A drive for documents and a drive for programs works nicely its the current setup on my system(mostly because my second hard drive had too many start up and shut downs it was impacting on its health).

1TB is a bit excessive dont you think.(my school has 12TB but bleh)

Rep:
Level 94
why not a faster hardrive for the OS and OS only? Personally, I wouldn't want to be stuck with one drive holding ALL my data, but just be sure to back it up I suppose.

I'm salvaging the mini-HD from this computer. It's 12GB, so it's enough to run the OS, if I wanted to do it that way. We don't all have rich families, Nouman. Anyway, I'm starting to get the feeling that you're just being disagreeable for it's own sake.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?

I'm salvaging the mini-HD from this computer. It's 12GB, so it's enough to run the OS, if I wanted to do it that way. We don't all have rich families, Nouman. Anyway, I'm starting to get the feeling that you're just being disagreeable for it's own sake.

before finishing up your sentence I figured through this and IRC you had developed something against me, then I read it through. How was what I said being disagreeable? I though I'd pitch in some advice and you didn't send a rebuttal to actually start a disagreement but yet jumped to the conclusion I was disagreeing.