RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
AMD or Intel?

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
 I was just wondering, which CPU do you think is best? I dont care about the fact AMD is cheaper just which is better?

the last CPU i had was the Intel 2.4ghz core 2 quad Q6600

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
an AMD Dual Core 2.0ghz processor is the equivalent of an Intel Dual Core 2.4ghz on a lot of game system requirements.

if that means anything.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Uh what

You can't just say "An AMD dual core" or "an intel dual core". A Pentium D (dual core) at 4Ghz will be outperformed by a wolfdale core2 duo (dual core) that runs at 2Ghz.

Similarly a Phenom X2 (not released yet, though) at 3Ghz will outperform an Athlon X2 that runs at 3Ghz.

It all comes down to IPC.

Your Q6660 is a (65nm) quad core that runs at 2.4Ghz. A 65nm Phenom X4 9950 which runs at 2.6Ghz will perform about the same as it.

The Phenom II is coming out soon, which is both runs faster and has a higher IPC, and will be the best CPU for the price in my opinion. Intel has a new architecture out called Nehalem, and these are the "Core i7" cpus, but they're super expensive, plus you'll also need a new motherboard, memory and so on to use them.

A Q6600 should be fine till like 2010 at least, CPUs aren't the performance bottleneck in games anymore, your video card is.

If I was building new I'd go for AMD and get a socket AM3+ setup with a Phenom II in it. But since you're on intel and socket 775 you'd have to go for a new 45nm quad core to get better performance. Just keep your Q6600 and overclock it =o
bringing sexy back

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
Uh what

You can't just say "An AMD dual core" or "an intel dual core". A Pentium D (dual core) at 4Ghz will be outperformed by a wolfdale core2 duo (dual core) that runs at 2Ghz.

Similarly a Phenom X2 (not released yet, though) at 3Ghz will outperform an Athlon X2 that runs at 3Ghz.

Your Q6660 is a (65nm) quad core that runs at 2.4Ghz. A 65nm Phenom X4 9950 which runs at 2.6Ghz will perform about the same as it.

The Phenom II is coming out soon, which is both runs faster and has a higher IPC, and will be the best CPU for the price in my opinion. Intel has a new architecture out called Nehalem, and these are the "Core i7" cpus, but they're super expensive, plus you'll also need a new motherboard, memory and so on to use them.

A Q6600 should be fine till like 2010 at least, CPUs aren't the performance bottleneck in games anymore, your video card is.

If I was building new I'd go for AMD and get a socket AM3+ setup with a Phenom II in it. But since you're on intel and socket 775 you'd have to go for a new 45nm quad core to get better performance. Just keep your Q6600 and overclock it =o

you should say numbers and letters that make little sense more oftern its somehow pacifing.

I had some guy the other day who commented on his processor being better because it was 2.1ghz and my laptop is 2.0ghz. I pointed out that his was a centrino and not a dual core.

Is it me or do you see more AMDs on the cheaper or refurbished computers?

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Uh what

ill just stick a big ass fan on the top and Overclock it to 3.3 or something :3

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
Currently, in my opinion the intel architecture is leading the game. Currently I would recommend the Intel core i7 extreme 965. Intel's current architecture is blowing AMD out of the water. The new architecture supports faster memory access, hyper threading, support for both graphics vendors, etc. Have a look at this article from CNET to get a better picture: http://reviews.cnet.com/processors/intel-core-i7-965/4505-3086_7-33366836.html .

I'm just waiting to see what AMD's big plans are to catch back up.  :)

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
crankeye get out of here  :mad:

Or stay :D
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 87
~Be Cool~
AMD can run more things. Intel is faster.  Simple terms really =]

I'd go AMD =D

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
lol, what? I don't know anything about computers, and I know that you're wrong.

Rep:
Level 87
~Be Cool~
We can argue all day. Its true =] 

Our tutor said so lol!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
We can argue all day. Its true =] 

Our tutor said so lol!

of course your tutor is an expert in computers, yes?

Rep:
Level 87
~Be Cool~
Yes 'coz I'm studing Computer Engineering =]

He just said, AMD can handle more things at once, while Intel is proven to be slightly faster.

Thats what I'm quoting on  :blizj:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
can handle more things at once, meaning multiple processes, right?
as opposed to "can run more things" which sounds more like certain programs only work on AMD processors.

Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Yes 'coz I'm studing Computer Engineering =]

He just said, AMD can handle more things at once, while Intel is proven to be slightly faster.

Thats what I'm quoting on  :blizj:

Though the new i7 improves upon both of these?

Rep:
Level 87
~Be Cool~
can handle more things at once, meaning multiple processes, right?
as opposed to "can run more things" which sounds more like certain programs only work on AMD processors.

Multiple Process indeed.   Not sure about certain programs thought.

The i7 is bound to be better. COnsidering it just been released and is mainly for DDR3

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
COnsidering it just been released

new doesnt mean good. see vista for more information.

Rep:
Level 87
~Be Cool~
LMAO!!!!!

You have a solid point there manz. Kudos.

Well i7 apparently is the way forward for the new era.   :blizj: