RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Console VS PC

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
what the hell does this matter?

I browse gaming forums and all I see is this huge Consoles VS PC war all over the place. 
PC users all seem stuck up and elitist, talking about consoles like some sort of Virus.  And Console users attack PC users, saying consoles are better due to lack of bugs and easier online play or whatever they happen to say.

I used to prefer consoles and controllers, but I'd get bitched at all the time by my brothers over who got to play next, or about some tv show that was about to come on, and it became a huge hassle.  Then I got a good pc and I can now play my favorite games whenever I want (I also find I prefer the mouse/keyboard over a controller, to be honest).

All a console is, is a dumb computer that can't do anything but play games.  I.e. a computer made -purely- for gaming.  (of course, in the eyes of a PC gamer, that's all a computer is too, a machine made for gaming.)

This seems to insult people on both ends.  PC users flame for "comparing my rig to that piece of garbage" and console gamers can't get over themselves and admit that a console -is- a computer, insisting that "no way, it's a gaming console, not a computer, get the shit out of your brain"

And now, I see people raging at the developers for "trying to be a console bitch" when they put matchmaking in a PC game, for instance.  Completely disregarding that it's necessary for that type of game, just raging at "this console shit infecting our PC games" while the consolers find their way onto the forums and rage and flame about how "your PC shit is so buggy my game is working perfectly stupid PC fag."

I'll re-iterate.
what the hell does this matter?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 05:23:13 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
All a console is, is a dumb computer that can't do anything but play games.
I've been streaming videos to my 360 lately.
You can browse the web, check the weather, check the news, edit photos, and all sorts of shit on the Wii.
You can install fucking Linux on the PS3.

Don't tell me that a console can't do anything but play games.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
All a console is, is a dumb computer that can't do anything but play games.
I've been streaming videos to my 360 lately.
You can browse the web, check the weather, check the news, edit photos, and all sorts of shit on the Wii.
You can install fucking Linux on the PS3.

Don't tell me that a console can't do anything but play games.

ok then, that just makes my point even more concrete.  A game system is just a computer.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
I like console games because of the feel of playing a game, I prefer fighters and more physical action games, such as Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, to be on consoles.

The PC, I prefer because of the higher graphic settings for myself, and I prefer more slower paced games or first person shooters, they come more naturally to me on a PC.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
USER. CREATED. CONTENT.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
There seems to be a natural rift between PC gamers and console gamers, I think it is dumb too, but it just sort of naturally happens. In most cases, when a machine(Like a phone or something) goes for the all-in-one approach (Ipod- Listen to music, browse the internet, and play games AT THE SAME TIME!)(I made that up .-.) it usually isn't too successful, but the PC is a all-in-one machine that works. My father (For whatever reason) Seems to prefer PC games to console games, While I myself usually aim for console games (Nintendo fangirl <3). I prefer console games because most of the PC games i own are shooters, And i can't do shooters .-. Other than that, i only really ever use my computer for the internet applications, when i start a PC game up the obsession doesn't keep hold of me for as long, while consoles seem to keep me locked to the screen. That in itself could make the rift. Okay, i lost track of what I was saying(Again). I promise i'll have a clear point next time  ;9

pokeball AdzOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 84
...Lazy....
To be honest with you i would have to say that a console is better for gaming in my oppinion!

Theres's a much wider variety of games for console, where as pc games are nearly of FPS or somthing along those lines.
The games are MUCH easier to play dies to the fact of the controller (I know you can get them for PC but the blow cock.)
Online with consoles aren't full with Elitists calling people n00bs because other people have a life and dont sit on there arse all day playing nothing but Crysis. Online with consoles has a much friendlier community all though you still get some idiots on there.

PC's were designed to do much, much more than play game's and all though PC games can be cool (all though i only like the The Elder Scrolls) a PC gamer goes out and senselessly spends THOUSANDS just to play the latest game that every one is raving about (Just like the did with Crysis.)

Console's are simpler and are ultimatley cheaper in the long run as you dont have to upgrade.

so yeah Console gets my vote.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
You can't mod on a console game without risking a complete screw-up of the game.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I prefer consoles for most games simply because A: a lot of my favourite games aren't sold for the PC, and B: consoles are much cheaper and stay useable for a longer time - every game released for the console will work in the best capacity. I bought my computer in 2005 and wasn't even able to run Oblivion on my computer, and it came out the same year or in early 2006. Point being, games made for a console will run well no matter what.

Anyway, it doesn't make a big difference. I like PC games too, I just don't like having to buy a new computer every time a game comes out. I think they both have strengths and weaknesses.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
ok Adz, I'm not a PC jerk, but everything you just said is screaming inaccuracy and I would feel remiss as a geek to -not- point out your glaring inaccuracies.  That being said, I'm playing devil's advocate.

Theres's a much wider variety of games for console, where as pc games are nearly of FPS or somthing along those lines.

ok I call bullshit on this one.
I've seen FPS, RTS, TBS, RPG, 3rdPS, Racing games, Fighting games, Sports Games, and anything else you could think of on PC.

The games are MUCH easier to play dies to the fact of the controller (I know you can get them for PC but the blow cock.)

I'll call bullshit here too.  First off, most PC gamers will probably find the keyboard easier to play with than a controller.  If they don't, they can use an Xbox 360 controller if they want, or some top of the line gamepad as well.  They don't blow cock if you spend more than $10 on one.

Online with consoles aren't full with Elitists calling people n00bs because other people have a life and dont sit on there arse all day playing nothing but Crysis. Online with consoles has a much friendlier community all though you still get some idiots on there.

again, bullshit.  you're right, they don't sit their ass all day playing nothing but Crysis.  they sit on their ass all day playing nothing but Halo 3.  And the communities are just as filled with elitist assholes as each other.

PC's were designed to do much, much more than play game's and all though PC games can be cool (all though i only like the The Elder Scrolls) a PC gamer goes out and senselessly spends THOUSANDS just to play the latest game that every one is raving about (Just like the did with Crysis.)

A good gaming computer (for a few thousand dollars) will last you a loooong time.  It's more than just to play one single game.  Crysis can be run on low spec on computers that cost less than a thousand dollars.  I've seen it done.

Console's are simpler and are ultimatley cheaper in the long run as you dont have to upgrade.

less like "don't have to" and more like "can't"

Also don't forget the television, if you want a good one for your console you better be ready to spring some major cash.  Bringing the console cost up to...about that of a decent computer.

The games also seem to cost more, seeing as you have HUGE name brands all over the case, i.e. the company name (Bioshock PS3 went for $60, I got it through steam for $50 I think)

Consoles also can't get patches, user created content, or mods, without voiding warranties, or needing special hack chips which are quite expensive to buy, and install (and heaven forbid you should mess up and have to buy the console all over again)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:12:12 AM by NAMKCOR »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Most of this war is a war of arrogance and ignorance. Modern console games are becoming more like PC games in nearly every way. Console people are usually biased because the first games that they played were on a console, and PC gamers the exact opposite. A game is a game, and this is an immature thing to take a side on. There are obvious positives to both, and an equal amount of negatives. Not only is it a matter of personal preference, but who really gives a  shit, anyway? Fanboys. Those are the only people that really care. Fanboys and children. If you strongly oppose one gaming medium over another, you are one of those two.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Most of this war is a war of arrogance and ignorance. Modern console games are becoming more like PC games in nearly every way. Console people are usually biased because the first games that they played were on a console, and PC gamers the exact opposite. A game is a game, and this is an immature thing to take a side on. There are obvious positives to both, and an equal amount of negatives. Not only is it a matter of personal preference, but who really gives a  shit, anyway? Fanboys. Those are the only people that really care. Fanboys and children. If you strongly oppose one gaming medium over another, you are one of those two.

thank you Holk, I'm glad someone agrees with my main point in all of this.

pokeball AdzOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 84
...Lazy....
@ NAMKCOR

well if i wanted to upgrade my PC i could as i am qualified and am an MCP aswell.

The only decent games other than black and white and the elder scrolls on the PC ARE FPS have you ever seen a decent sports game on the PC? i know i haven't.

I would also find it hard to spend more than $10 on a game pad due to the fact im British if i were to buy one it would be aroud £15.

Also on the Crysis thing on live, i got confused with what i was saying >.< and agin with Crysis i have NEVER seen it able to run on a low spec puter that cost less than £500 so i call bullshit on that one!

Yes you can get mods and patches for consoles i.e the 360 you can download them from the pc and send them to your hard drive. It's not hard. Also the PSP you can hack them and never have to spend another penny buying games, so bullshit to your mods and patches theory. $50 for Bioshock? In the UK its possible to get it for £20 (around $40) so i don't know where your getting your games from but you're being screwed.

And WHY would you by a T.V. ONLY for your console that would be plain stupid! I play the 360 on a standard tube T.V. nothing special about it, no HD, it's not a plasma screen and it still looks good so no your comment on the T.V. is void if you ask me, even IF you dont think so it still is as it has ALOT more use's than just for a console.

AND if you strongly agree with Holk why are you arguing back? That's just a tad bit contradictive.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
The only decent games other than black and white and the elder scrolls on the PC ARE FPS have you ever seen a decent sports game on the PC? i know i haven't.

I haven't played a decent sports game on a console either.
sports games suck.

I would also find it hard to spend more than $10 on a game pad due to the fact im British if i were to buy one it would be aroud £15.

my point still stands.  good controllers cost more than $10.  I dont' care what currency you use.

Also on the Crysis thing on live, i got confused with what i was saying >.< and agin with Crysis i have NEVER seen it able to run on a low spec puter that cost less than £500 so i call bullshit on that one!

£500 means nothing to me.  I don't know pounds.
Also, I never said a low-end computer can run it.  I said a computer that costs less than a thousand dollars can run the game on low spec.  As in with quality settings -turned down-

Yes you can get mods and patches for consoles i.e the 360 you can download them from the pc and send them to your hard drive.

Go play some custom TF2 maps on those matchmaking servers then.

It's not hard. Also the PSP you can hack them and never have to spend another penny buying games, so bullshit to your mods and patches theory.

And then you can't get support for the PSP because you did something that is technically illegal.
So I suppose the 360 is getting all those TF2 patches.  You know, the ones with the extra achievements and weapons?  I know the PC is... Wait, you're not?  What?  The 360 doesn't get patches?

The only 'patch' a console might get it something to fix glitches.  Devs don't patch in extra content for consoles the way they do for PCs.  And as Halo said.  User created content.

$50 for Bioshock? In the UK its possible to get it for £20 (around $40) so i don't know where your getting your games from but you're being screwed.

I got it when it first came out, when it costed more than a used copy on the shelf.  I also bought it through steam.
edit: the price doesn't even matter, I don't even remember how much it costed.  All I know is it costed less than it does for consoles, which was my point.

And WHY would you by a T.V. ONLY for your console that would be plain stupid!

Well cable sucks why would I want to buy a TV for that? .-.

AND if you strongly agree with Holk why are you arguing back? That's just a tad bit contradictive.

ok Adz, I'm not a PC jerk, but everything you just said is screaming inaccuracy and I would feel remiss as a geek to -not- point out your glaring inaccuracies.  That being said, I'm playing devil's advocate.
That being said, I'm playing devil's advocate.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:38:01 AM by NAMKCOR »

pokeball AdzOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 84
...Lazy....
cos we dont get cable, we get satalite and freeview and its actually good!

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer

I played Crysis for a weekend and haven't touched it since. Also, the people on Xbox Live are horrid compared to anywhere else. People on PC games tend to be nicer because most of them are older than 15.

well if i wanted to upgrade my PC i could as i am qualified and am an MCP aswell.

Gee I can upgrade my PC and i'm only qualified to be an Abraham Lincoln impersonator, it's not like you need a degree in theoretical physics to do it.

NAMKCOR pretty much said the rest.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I like my good old PC. I have all the games I need and more.

Oblivion
 Emulators (SNES NES GBA GB PSX)

I watch TV on it (torrented episodes of shows I like) and movies.

500$
2 processors running - AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
2.00 GHz Performance Rated at 4.19 GHz
System RAM 3.9 GB
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 64-bit
ATI Radeon X1270 (ATI Radeon X1200 Series (0x791F))
DVD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20F ATA Device
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE

Yes you can get mods and patches for consoles i.e the 360 you can download them from the pc and send them to your hard drive. It's not hard. Also the PSP you can hack them and never have to spend another penny buying games, so bullshit to your mods and patches theory. $50 for Bioshock? In the UK its possible to get it for £20 (around $40) so i don't know where your getting your games from but you're being screwed.

I have a PC that cost me just under £400, and i can run crysis on high :/

I dont know how you think £15 is allot for a PC controller, and sports games on PC?

Most Sports games that are on Console are on PC

And about Bioshock, he said for the PS3, it is possible to get it for 360 for £20 from places like gamestation, but it is brand new on PS3 and going for around £35 still ($70)

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki

I played Crysis for a weekend and haven't touched it since. Also, the people on Xbox Live are horrid compared to anywhere else. People on PC games tend to be nicer because most of them are older than 15.

Gee I can upgrade my PC and i'm only qualified to be an Abraham Lincoln impersonator, it's not like you need a degree in theoretical physics to do it.

NAMKCOR pretty much said the rest.

Agreed.

I think a PC is a lot more bang for you buck since you can torrent pretty much any game hours after it's release, compared to 60/50$ for a new console game. You can watch pretty much any television show for free (legally too), watch DVDs for less tahn the price of a DVD player...and plug your consoles into your monitor (provided that it has the hookups), so you got the best of both worlds. =D

@Irock: My machine that's almost 10 years old in some departments can run linux too.  :tpg: