RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Music] Ops Via: The Journey (Symphony #1)

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
So, yeah, here it is. Hot off the presses, so to speak. My first symphony,

Ops Via: The Journey

Originally for our teams game back in the guild wars, I decided to take the 5 or 6 smaller pieces I was writing for the final scene and combine it all into one fully realized idea.

I'm entering this into a competition that's held every year with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. I'm the only non-grad student entering. They pick three winners, and give them each 20 minutes with the orchestra for a quick rehearsal and then a sight reading. But it's the freakin' PSO! They don't need to rehearse, so really they just give you an immediate sight reading. And probably a recording of it. And maybe a grant, I'm not sure. And know what else? John Adams is conducting. John freakin' Adams! You probably don't know who he is, but he's a fantastic composer from Pittsburgh. Big fish in a relatively small pond, but it's still pretty awesome.

Could I win? Who knows. To be honest, I don't think I will. Which isn't to say I don't like this work, I think it's the best damn thing I've ever written. I just don't think my score will stand up to more experienced writers. They take a lot into consideration, not just the music but how it's notated and how well you know how to write and orchestrate for an ensemble that large. I have very little experience with orchestra writing, so I'm sure they'll find plenty of flaws in my score. So if I don't win, big deal. At least I finished it, and if it's not played in this competition, it'll be played next semester by my peers here at the school.

Movements:
I.1. To the Heavens...
I.2. Cut through the stars!
I.3. The shine within reach
II.1. Though the way is shut...
II.2. A glimmer in the distance
III.1. Obliterate shadow and light
III.2. Soaring through oblivion

Anyway, here's the links. Hope you enjoy it.

Finale 2009 file. (Out Dated)
TabIt file.
Mp3 File [UPDATED]

The UPDATED mp3 file was made with MOTU and East West Instruments. Expensive, high end stuff.
Turned out okay, lol.
PDF version of score. (Out Dated)

I'll update this thread with a (real) recording if and when it happens. I hope you enjoy. :)

P.S. The subtitle was not my idea. It was my comp teacher's idea. I think it's dumb, but she thought it would be clever to put something video-game related in the subtitle to provoke interest.

edit: Also, update on the contest: No word. Lol, I lost. Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:07:38 AM by irock »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
This is really great. I was freaked out at first because incidentally I start my second symphony I'm working on out in almost the exact same way with the harp playing a very similar rhythm on Bb. Mine is in 5/4 in the beginning though.

I think everything builds up quite nicely in this and I love your usage of strings. I guess that's because I don't feel I write for strings very well.

I don't really have any criticism, none that I can really think of as of now anyway. I do feel that tubular bells would fit very well in the beginning, and really throughout most of it, but that's more of a personal preference I guess.

But good luck on the competition. John Adams is an awesome composer and it would be great to have something you've written performed under his baton and by the PSO.
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I love it.  The names fit the movements perfectly and it sounds great.  I really can't criticize cuz I wouldn't have a box to stand on, so I'm just gonna leave it at 'good job :D'

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for July 2008Project of the Month winner for May 20072011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Project of the Year2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Cool stuff, love the use of strings and flute. :) Feels as if it's more suited for "music" music rather than incidental music though, but that's probably due to the fact that it's pieced together from multiple pieces.

That's cool that you can make something that long to keep on rolling; I always run out of patience, heheh. Good luck with the competition. :~

Rep:
Level 96
I think I know what you mean, but the way you expressed it confuses me, lol.

Well, whatever, it's episodic, and was always supposed to be. The piece has a clear storyline and progression behind it, so of course it comes through in the music itself.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
on par with any oldschool rpg's score and better than most of the newer ones. :blizj:

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 King of RMRK2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
I loved it, every minute of it
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I love it, and you ;o;
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I'm amazed at how far you've come from when I first started listening to your music back in 2002. You've always wanted to compose for video games, and if you keep writing music of this caliber i'm sure you'll make it happen. C=

Rep:
Level 96
HEY GUYS!!!

I finally uploaded the new version, with better sounding instruments. GO TO MY MYSPACE PAGE TO LISTEN TO IT!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/ryanleber

GO NOW
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:19:38 PM by marlio »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I WENT NOW

EDIT: It's not there ;-;

Rep:
Level 83
I am the Flux
I am so damn envious of you =/ I'm not even at your level!

That symphony is excellent; at first listen I can't really hear anything wrong with it - it's just beautiful!

I must look at the notesheets later!
Let's eat Grandpa!
Let's eat, Grandpa!

Commas save lives.

---

"Filmmusic needs to be more than just convenient." - Denny Schneidemesser