RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Voice Narration, Boon or Bane?

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Right, I've tried some narration for an intro (Project Leviathan) and I was wondering :
How far are voice narrations effective in an RM game?
Do they work more like an asset or a liability, do they improve or dissapoint?

I'd say that at the introduction it can effectively add towards the overall impact and feeling of the game, but
what do you think of the use of narration in cutscenes. A number of people told me that most of them prefer
"old-school" reading rather than both listening AND reading, while some other actually hates narration.
There's also the problem of filesizes, they tend to take up some space.

Any ideas on how to use them in an effective and creative way? Opinions are appreciated.

Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
narration is a great thing if the voices are well done.
this means NOT monotone, voices that fit the characters' images, as well as a well done system.

I personally love hearing voices in games, even if it's only for the main characters, as it brings life to the game, and offers a bit more definition and personality to the characters.

Take Tales of Symphonia as a great example of voice work.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
This is my most active account.
I prefer reading unless the voices are done by great voice actors/actresses.