RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Nintendo DSi (iDS :V) (2008 in Japan, well into 2009 for everyone else)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsi.html

Quote from: Reggie
Reggie: "Our event today is all about games. That will occupy the bulk of our presentation today. But there are a couple of hardware related issues to discuss as well. In Tokyo last night, Mr. Iwata unveiled a third iteration of DS, called DSi. And here it is." [Reggie lifts up the handheld.]

Built-in Flash memory. Downloadable games are now possible and they can be saved permanently to the DSi. New DS Shop will launch. Among the first games available on the service will be redesigned versions of the two Brain Age games.

DSi also includes a camera and music functionality. To appreciate these functions, "you have to understand that we didn't set out to create the world's best camera or the world's best music player," says Reggie. Plenty of other players in the "red ocean" market. Want to create new types of games using these devices.

On the camera front, the DSi has not one, but two different cameras. One faces forward from the hardware. The other points back at the user. This allows a full range of unique functionality. These cameras work hand-in-hand with image editing software. You can share your edited photos with other DSi users.

Songs will be stored on an SD card. DSi will use the AAC format so you "can easily move songs from your computer to your SD card to play on your DSi." DSI has built-in software enabling users to control attributes like pitch, playback speed, audio filters, etc. "You may have a piece of music where you don't want to listen to vocals -- only instrumentals. The audio filter will allow you to do that." You can fast forward through podcasts, etc. You can record your voice through the built-in microphone and change your playback speed.

System will lose the GBA slot, but is fully compatible with the 600-plus DS games available.

Built-in Opera Nintendo DSi web browser that will run faster than the previous web browser, "and so will the WI-Fi connections," adds Reggie.

As far as 2008 is concerned, the DSi is strictly for Japan. "We will not see the product here in North America until well into calendar 2009," says Reggie. He notes this is because the DS Lite continues to sell at a phenomenal rate in America. In August alone, DS sold more hardware than had ever been sold in that calendar month.

Nintendo has sold a total of 22 million DS units in America.

Reggie talks Wii storage solution. Can now store downloads directly SD Card. And the process of storing on SD card will "become dramatically easier," says Reggie.

Reggie: We will ship more DS units into retail in the October-December quarter than we did last year. We will ship significantly more Wii systems into retail during the same period versus last year.

"Will this finally be enough to meet demand? My answer: talk to me in January."

Even before Nintendo announced it, the DSi has been the talk of the town. According to our Japanese correspondent, the DSi will be 12 percent thinner, and will get rid of the GBA slot entirely. The DSi will also include two built-in cameras (one reportedly VGA resolution) and music playback. The DSi will also add an SD slot and internal storage (we don't yet know how much) to enhance its multimedia capabilities. The screens are now slightly larger at 3.25 inches.Photos can be synced to the Wii Photo Channel.

Nintendo is also launching the "DSi Shop" to sell content directly over WiFi. The DSi will include a free browser application. Prices for the store, which are also tied into the Wii Nintendo Points, will use 0, 200, 500 and 800-point tiers. Until March 2010, 1000 Nintendo points will come bundled with the device.

Nintendo is calling the DSi a "third platform," implying that it's not competing with the DS -- though as a history lesson, the DS was originally a "third platform" against the now-retired Game Boy Advance.

The DSi will launch November 1 in black and white colors. It will cost ¥189,000 (approx. US $178). We won't fault you for misreading this as "iDS," given the very iPod Touch-esque additions.

Spoiler for PIX:

Discuss.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 08:05:02 PM by Irockman1 »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Pretty sweet, but you would think that Nintendo would be forward-thinking enough to realize that the SD slot will make it even easier to pirate games. With the old model, you had to buy a 3rd party product to insert the SD card. Now they're providing it for us.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Pretty sweet, but you would think that Nintendo would be forward-thinking enough to realize that the SD slot will make it even easier to pirate games. With the old model, you had to buy a 3rd party product to insert the SD card. Now they're providing it for us.
I hadn't even thought of that. =o!

I'll probably be getting this. I lost my 1st gen DS ages ago, and the last game I've bought was Animal Crossing Wild World. @___@

I suppose it's a good time to get back into handheld gaming. :]

I

I

I

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
goddamn I have to buy ANOTHER now?
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
that...actually looks like a worthwhile upgrade from the brick.
I'm surprized.

However, I don't think we can run home brew from the SD card.
you need to run the .nds file, and I still think that needs to be done from a cart.

the ability to store pictures and music would be nice though :)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
If there making it seperate from the DS/lite then i doubt it will run the .nds files :/

Though it looks nice, ill stick to my lite, and see if they can offer anything more than a camera.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I will purchase this.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I think if it didn't run .nds, it wouldn't play ds games because .nds is the game filetype.

removing the GBA slot pisses me off, i'd have to carry a gbasp and a dsi to play both, i understand they probably put the sd card slot there though. Awesome though this should drive down the old DS(not the lite) used price once it comes here.

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
Most likely replacing the GBA slot with buyable GBA games on DSi shop.

Personally, I don't see what the big issue is with the removal of the GBA slot except for screwing up pokemon. I don't know many people that play GBA games on their DS. GBA games suck =/

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
oh yay yet another DS to buy
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Most likely replacing the GBA slot with buyable GBA games on DSi shop.

Personally, I don't see what the big issue is with the removal of the GBA slot except for screwing up pokemon. I don't know many people that play GBA games on their DS. GBA games suck =/
CASTLEVANIA ARIA OF SORROW FUCK YOU BUDDY

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 102
If there making it seperate from the DS/lite then i doubt it will run the .nds files :/

Though it looks nice, ill stick to my lite, and see if they can offer anything more than a camera.

DSware service for downloading games.
3.25" screens, both touchable.
MP3 playback.
SD Card slot.
Smaller.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
With the SD card slot, I doubt you'll have to wait long for someone to make a GBA emulator for it, and then you won't need the GBA slot.

Rep:
Level 102
"As far as 2008 is concerned, the DSi is strictly for Japan. "We will not see the product here in North America until well into calendar 2009," says Reggie. He notes this is because the DS Lite continues to sell at a phenomenal rate in America. In August alone, DS sold more hardware than had ever been sold in that calendar month."

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I don't give a damn about the DS Lite. Who's going to buy it when the DSi is going to be released? They did the same things with the Gameboy Micro.

"Hey guys, we have this new thing called the Gameboy Micro! It plays Gameboy games! Oh, but we also have this thing called the DS. It has a touch screen, and plays DS AND Gameboy games. Take your pick. =]"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 07:49:41 PM by Irockman1 »

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
The first thing i thought when i saw this was

WTF is this supposed to be?

but it looks cool.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
when does nintendo stop the innovation and catch up with the graphic world?

either way, looks neat.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
So if both screens are touchable, does that mean they will be making games only work for this and not my beautiful old DS now?

:mad:
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 102
So if both screens are touchable, does that mean they will be making games only work for this and not my beautiful old DS now?

:mad:
I think the dual touch screen thing was just a rumor. ;o;

Rep:
Level 89
i wonder if they can make it more durable than the ds lite.
I looks cool but how long will they keep updating the same system.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest MemberMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2010 Most Missed Member

either way, looks neat.

When graphics actually make more of a difference than innovation.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 102

either way, looks neat.

Both combined would make an even bigger difference. tbb

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest MemberMost entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2010 Most Missed Member
They can't do two things at once.
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

either way, looks neat.

you read my mind

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Walking Billboard
Rep:
Level 87
Lol i just thought of the Decline of Video Gaming advert for the DS

Spoiler for:
LOL

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
With the SD card slot, I doubt you'll have to wait long for someone to make a GBA emulator for it, and then you won't need the GBA slot.
Well played holk, well played.