RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Game titles: What not to do.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I was looking through some of the threads that people made about the games they're creating, and I noticed a few trends. Don't hate the messenger.

1. There are a lot of games being made based off already created game franchises. Predictably, there are a lot of Final Fantasy sequels, prequels, and branch offs. Why don't people try to have some original ideas? And, ok, so your Star Ocean spinoff has some innovations. Awesome. Why wouldn't you just make your own story? I really don't care if Radix meets some lame wooden character that you created.

2. Most of the titles are very cheesy and contain cliched/overused words. I'm not going to give specific examples, as to put down people and their work, but here are some overused RPG words:
     Dragon
     Eternal
     Crystal
     Magic
     Fantasy
     Tales
 And so on and so forth. When I see a RM game that has the word "Dragon" in the title, I skip right past it.

3. Most titles are extremely pretentious, especially for games that people work on for like 2 weeks and then forget about or give up on. If it takes longer for me to read the title than it does to beat the demo, I don't even want to waste my time. Again, no specifics, but:
     The Preternatural Asphyxiation Part I: Dilapidate Requiem
     Venerated Champion: Darkness Chapter
     Eternal Crystal Tales Of The Magic Fantasy Dragon
     Analingus Andrew and the Malfeasant Coprophile - Act IV: Epinephrine Anal Plugs (Beta Version)
Naming your game something long and obnoxious doesn't make it better. Oh, and seriously. We're never going to see the completed "Part I". Don't make it sound like there will be a part II.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 06:44:19 PM by Nouman »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Holk, you just succeeded in making me laugh harder than I have all week.

The Preternatural Asphyxiation Part I: Dilapidate Requiem
     Venerated Champion: Darkness Chapter
     Analingus Andrew and the Malfeasant Coprophile - Act IV: Epinephrine Anal Plugs (Beta Version)

that just made me laugh my ass off.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Even if I didn't really find myself laughing I do agree with everything you've said
:taco: :taco: :taco:

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Anal Plugs lol.

But you're right, there are such words used often.
So from now on, instead of dragon, add Prophet/Heaven/Dreams/Dungeon etc.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)

Thank you for being a member of this place.

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour
Totally move this topic to the rpmaker part of the forums.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Favourite Staff Member2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
Yeah, this could totally be a sticky in Game Creation General Chat

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Keys of Saeus. :)

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Mr. Mooooojooooooo riiiiiiiiisiiiiiiiiiiin'

That has nothing to do with anything.

Anyway, Analingus Andrew is an awesome name. He could totally be the ass to mouth mascot in a safe sex video.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
lol, thanks guys. I don't know why people make these ridiculous names. Maybe it makes them feel more powerful.

Move it to another section if you want~

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Pretentious Monotony: Cacaphony of the Derelict

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
lol Eternal Crystal Tales Of The Magic Fantasy Dragon
Thank you Holk :3
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Favourite Staff Member2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
That's an awesome list.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
AWESOME POSSUM KICKS DOCTOR MACHINO'S BUTT!

Rep:
Level 97
I'm Awesome.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
lol, I love how he reminds us of that

Rep:
Level 97
I think my favourite was either "Beyond the Beyond" or "Divine Divinity"

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Irritating Stick

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Ok holk, i'll listen to you.

So, i'm gonna name my game :

Dragon Tales Of The Magical Crystals of Eternity
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 94
Ok holk, i'll listen to you.

So, i'm gonna name my game :

Dragon Tales Of The Magical Crystals of Eternity

I think you've not only missed the point, but ended up on the other side of the world from it.

Ps. Dragon Tales is already a game, lol.

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Come on Holky, you're fighting for nothing. These titles are classics.
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 97
Make it Dragon Tails. People love puns.

Rep:
Level 87
Gate of Light ;8

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
Tales of Crytsal Dragons? =D
Arlen is hot.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Slash Bulk ;8

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
Knight of Light Crystals
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Macrophallic Epicaricacy I: Schizothemia

Rep:
Level 84
im making a game called mocha
http://www.seskaa.webs.com

i love to piss you off go ahead get mad....:D

Rep:
Level 91
Am I still cool?
I'd like to see "The adventure of the knight who met a king and got a sword and fought the dragon who was bad and rescued the princess and then saved the world by looking at a crystal in a cave and then fought a long and impossible boss because the maker is probably new and even if not is a poor game designer"

I'll bet that game has tons of plot twists.

Interested in playing these complete games and checking out more? Go to my website!

Rep:
Level 84
What about
 - All My NPCs

That is not a joke, I am making a game and that is the name.

Rep: +0/-0Level 85
everything you said up there is totally right, i laughed a little on the long titles thingy, but i think all you said up there really is true. even me seeing a dragon on the game title bores me.

Rep:
Level 84
I'm am God of Light
Yes about the names...
Mine was going to be Voyage of Silence.
That good, something you'd be interested in?  ???
Thanks,
-Raiden ;)

Click here to feed me a Rare Candy!
Get your own at Pokeplushies!

Raiden.
I am the God Of Light.

Proud owner of,
http://www.majorrpg.com
Check my website out!
Thank you!

Current Game Project:
Name: Silent Hill - Time Lapse
Percent done: 2%
Genre: Horror

Rep:
Level 84
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
I'd like someone to make a "Game Titles: What to Do" thread, I think it would be helpful (if not as funny). I'd consider doing it, but I feel like my current project's title is flirting with cheesiness as it is. And hypocrasy is a crime if you are even acused of it. *Sigh*

Very apt in any case, Holk.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Just don't do what this thread says and you'll do fine. Make it unique and creative.

Rep:
Level 84
Oh, absolutely.
But there are some fun tips to create capturing titles. Like...
  • Fragmented prepositions (To Kill a Mockingbird, Until I Find You)
  • Adjectives following nouns as to suggest action (Paradise Lost)
  • The work's motto or theme (All's Well That Ends Well)
  • Alliteration (Palace of Pleasure)
  • Commands (Look Homeward, Angel)
  • Second Person (The World Ends With You)
The last two are especially powerful, as they specifically address something (even better if it is the reader. . . as in "you"). Supposedly titles with direct address are better for marketing.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Wow, I suggest you really do make that topic. That sounds great~

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I like your new av and sig rasse :3

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
Heh thanks, it's thanks to Irock though. I suck at av/sigs.

._. Irock<3

Rep:
Level 84
Wow, I suggest you really do make that topic. That sounds great~
As you wish, http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,32255.0.html
Thanks!

Rep:
Level 84
we made a fun little rpg name generator with help from this post & replies :D it makes crappy jrpg names. usually all awful just to laugh at

good post Holk. sick of seeing all same names too
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 11:39:20 PM by SolstICE »

Rep:
Level 94
Who is radix?

Rep:
Level 83
Yes.
I'd like to see "The adventure of the knight who met a king and got a sword and fought the dragon who was bad and rescued the princess and then saved the world by looking at a crystal in a cave and then fought a long and impossible boss because the maker is probably new and even if not is a poor game designer"

I'll bet that game has tons of plot twists.

What about "The extreme game where the knight goes to a bar and his friend comes in and says there is a dragon killing everyone and he goes outside with a rock and throws it at the dragon which then roars at the top of his lungs then flies away and the knight for some stupid reason gets knighted and the king is killed by a cheese-puff."

Best. Game. Ever.

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
Nothing personal.
    • Second Person (The World Ends With You)

Isn't that a Nintendo DS game?

Rep: +0/-0Level 84
    Hey iv'e always been really good at making original story and if i'm tracking too close
    to some other game some one usually informs me so i'm not worried about that

even names i feel i'm good at but one problem iv'e always had because iv'e never put forth
    the time is titles. . . .

so for my new game i have a small list and i was hoping if some people could inform me if they are cheesy or not (Which they probably are) so here we go (FYI: Neverender is a place in the game and if thats cheesy im willing to deal with it because towns people can be stupid some times):
    Nights in the Neverender
    Forever winter nights
    Forever snow
    Cold Knights of the Neverender
    The White swords

And if some need a small back ground to determine if a names cheesy for some reason
    Summary: A small town forced to fight off vicious dragons wolves and other northern winter creatures, So this small town has several men and women train from when they are kids to grow up and defeat these monsters, but Tragedy falls as your father along with three other parents of your friends go off and die from one horrific beast, So as you grow you try to replace your fallen parents and in a chain of events find your self reaching your skills farther than just your winter wonder land. . .

also sorry if that sounded a bit cheesy too

Rep:
    Level 86
    Sonic Dog -> Light Spear -> Overlimit -> Slash
    Forever winter nights

That sounds a little bit like Neverwinter Nights, but other than that, there's not much wrong with those titles. I would probably suggest rearranging/deleting words, though, but maybe that's just because I tend to prefer shorter titles. I actually think a simple Neverender would suffice; people probably don't know what it means/is, and it sounds ominous enough to draw them in.

Alright thanks but does it affect the title to add in small things like the or of
    basically is there a difference between
    Neverender
    and
    The Neverender

Rep:
    Level 86
    Sonic Dog -> Light Spear -> Overlimit -> Slash
    As long as you don't overdo it (The Splended Knights of the Neverender who always are of the Fight), articles work. Heh, articles actually add to the effect sometimes, too (Last of the Mohicans). Maybe experiment with that. Picking a title is like photography: take a bunch of pictures & then pick the best one.

Rep:
    Level 94

Nights in the Neverender - No
    Forever winter nights - Neverwinter Nights
    Forever snow - Not bad, but a bit generic
    Cold Knights of the Neverender - No
    The White swords - Zelda

"Forever" is a generic word to use in any title, and Neverender is a Coheed song.

really huh never knew that and i thought i knew most of their songs
    well alright like the guy before you ill test and try and see whats the best i can make

Raped by DrSword
    Rep:
    Level 83
    Dance with the enemy
    Contestant - GIAW 10Contestant - GIAW 9
    Darkness of the Crystals: Wisdom Chronicles

^Cheesy name, that

Rep:
    Level 82
    Part of this balanced breakfast.
    Wow. That was funny.

Ah, you won't have to worry about any of that in the game I'm currently creating. In fact, I can't even think of a title at this point. I usually save the titling for last. Kinda like most authors with their books. It's more fun that way. But so I can distinguish from one another, I gave it a working title. That working title being 'Taurus'. Why? Because that is the name of the town you start in.

...but, yeah. I see that a lot in RPG titles, too. And you know what else is funny? Japanese titles. I take Japanese class, so I know what I'm talking about. I once saw an RPG called "Shichimenchouken: Sword of the Seven-Faced Bird". They got that part right. But you know what's so funny about it? Shichimenchou...it means Turkey. Yes. In Japanese, Turkey is literally translated as 'seven faced bird'. Why? I don't know. I just had to laugh at the title because it looked like a person who knew almost nothing about the Japanese language made an entire game based around Japan.
    "Maybe your imagination just smells like popcorn."

Rep:
    Level 85
    I am the wood of my broom
    2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
    Oh man that game, kinda sad that it was named Turkey O_o

Rep:
    Level 82
    Part of this balanced breakfast.
    Blade of the turkey, more accurately. It's incredibly hilarious when people who know only the Japanese words 'kawaii' and 'sugoi' (most people think it just means 'terrific', but in proper context it means 'terrible') try to use the language.
    "Maybe your imagination just smells like popcorn."

Rep:
    Level 81
    it's time to poke
    I always thought "Legend" and "Chronicles" were severely overused, too.

Rep:
    Level 89
    Legend is over used, even in commerical games. I have not seen to many Saga ones.
    « Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 09:45:06 PM by Mad Klown »

Rep:
    Level 74
    A Fairy Very Wise
    How about...

"Fairy Tail(Yes i know i wrote "tail") I:Darkness of Springvale"

And no. that between the Brackets is Not part of the Name.
    If it was , God help us.

But anyway. That name Up there is a One hour Worth of thinking.
    Take this Advice: "Meow" :3

Rep:
    Level 96
    2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
    Bumping, just because the article linked on the first page caused me to make this.

:nham:

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
    The Irish Insanity
    Not entirely sure if this is the right place for this but.. Well, never know until you try.

Anyway.. I was thinking of 'Death Wish' for a game title, but I changed my mind a bit and decided 'Dark Wishes'. Are either of those names good for a fantasy RPG with a storyline that vaguely revolves around wishes?
    SJ.Wolfe - Resident Lurker

Rep:
    Level 71
    Current project: Legend of Chaos (RMXP)
    After reading this topic, I'm having doubts about the name of my project: Legend of Chaos...

So, any comments about it, or any advice to make a better name?  :P

Progression
    Story: 13%
    Characters: 25%
    Classes: 25%
    Map: 0%
    Demo: 0%

my name is Timothy what's yours
    Rep:
    Level 79
    Hello
    2014 Most Missed Member2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
    Well, it could be a lot worse:
    i.e. "Eternal Tales of the Magic Chaos Dragon Legends - Act 1: Fantasy of the Eternal Crystals"
    So yeah. Short and sweet, only one stupid word in it. Although, it would help to know what the game's about. Chaos Legend doesn't say much, but don't put the entire plotline in the title.
    it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
    Level 94
    Now that Pacman has basically rehashed my first post, you should know what not to do.

Rep:
    Level 79
    Hello
    2014 Most Missed Member2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
    Sorry Holk. ;9
    It's just that your words are so wise...
    I have to use them myself.

Rep:
    Level 71
    Although, it would help to know what the game's about. Chaos Legend doesn't say much, but don't put the entire plotline in the title.

Well, since I don't want to spoil the plotline just yet, I'll send you a PM with the information. Perhaps there you can help me out a bit!  ;D

Progression
    Story: 13%
    Characters: 25%
    Classes: 25%
    Map: 0%
    Demo: 0%

Rep:
    Level 71
    There goes Lost Dark Fantasy of the Ancient Runes of Mana...

Rep:
    Level 79
    Hello
    It should not have been there in the first place.
    Usually, I'd never play a game that has more than one conjunctions or prepositions in it. Try to make a title that wouldn't take the player the amount of time it takes a snail to move a parsec to say. My current project has a single 4-letter word title. Lost Dark Fantasy of the Ancient Runes of Mana is not only painfully long and annoying (like some of my posts), it doesn't say much about the game. I think the point is to get some ambiguity out of it, not only ambiguity.

Raped by DrSword
    Rep:
    Level 83
    Dance with the enemy
    How about... Chronicles of the Dark Crystals Part I: Dragon Chaos?

Rep:
    Level 94
    How about... That joke was already made in the first post?

Raped by DrSword
    Rep:
    Level 83
    Dance with the enemy
    How about... yes it was.

Rep:
    Level 71
    Doesn't make it any less worthy.
    So...

Magic Fantasy Tales of the Eternal Crystal Dragon

Small Bat Dev
    Rep:
    Level 76
    2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
    Tales of the magical epic hyper kawaii super crystal dragon guardian.