RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Holk's Movie Reviews II

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I did one of these a while back, and I suppose it's time for part II.

In Bruges- ***
This story follows the time that 2 assassins hide out in the Belgian medieval town of Bruges. (Pronounced like "rouge") I saw previews for this a long time ago, and thought that it looked pretty funny. What I didn't know when I went into it was that it was also a pretty serious drama. There were a few parts that stuck out in this film, such as why the main character is so distraught on this little trip, and the scene with the midget. As a whole, though, I felt that so much more could've been done with the plot that was chosen. I really did want to love this movie, and I liked it a decent amount, but I can't make myself give it more than 3 stars. If you're in the mood for a tragecomedy with a fair amount of gore, then I do recommend you check it out. Just don't expect the comedy to be too extreme or too abundant.

Vantage Point- ****
During a peace summit in Spain, the president of the USA is shot, and a bomb is set off. This film is shot in the "Go" tradition, meaning that you see the same 20 - 50 minutes from 8 different points of view. Some are shorter, and some longer, but what it equals out to is one twisting mind-fuck of a movie. The soundtrack is reminiscent of The Rock and Metal Gear Solid, making me think that Harry Gregson-Williams scored it, but upon further research I found that it is the debut orchestration of someone named Atli Örvarsson. It turns out that Hanz Zimmer was the consultant, so you can see where I would've made the mistake. Anyway, this movie kept me interested until the very end, and I highly recommend it.

The Mist- ****
Ok, I have to admit something. I'm a big fan of Stephen King's books. I think he has a way of writing that makes it simple for me to picture myself in the story he's telling. Conversely, nearly every movie based on one of Mr. King's books is excruciating to watch. Some of Mr. King's dialogue doesn't convert well to the screen sometimes, the screenplays somehow get all fucked up, and the endings are never the same as the novels. That being said, I thought The Mist was excellent. It's damn close to what Mr. King intended it to be, and the ending is pretty heartbreaking, if I say so myself. I've always been a fan of big apocalyptic monster filled movies, and this one didn't disappoint in the least. I've read the novelette that this was based on a few times over the years, and I strongly recommend checking it out. The soundtrack is almost non-existant, which actually works really well in the movie. It sort of makes an outlandish situation more realistic. In real life, if this shit happened, there would be no exciting music to get you pumped up. You'd just have to make due with what you have. Again, if you're a fan of movies like War Of The Worlds, and Cloverfield, you'll most likely be into The Mist.

The next one will be coming sooner than this one did. I promise.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 King of RMRK2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best MusicianFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
The soundtrack is reminiscent of The Rock and Metal Gear Solid, making me think that Harry Gregson-Williams scored it, but upon further research I found that it is the debut orchestration of someone named Atli Örvarsson.

Actually it's not his debut, he's done a few other things before this but this was his first major movie he worked on. That's hardly relevant to anything but being the movie soundtrack buff I had to say something. :)

The Mist- ****
Ok, I have to admit something. I'm a big fan of Stephen King's books. I think he has a way of writing that makes it simple for me to picture myself in the story he's telling. Conversely, nearly every movie based on one of Mr. King's books is excruciating to watch. Some of Mr. King's dialogue doesn't convert well to the screen sometimes, the screenplays somehow get all fucked up, and the endings are never the same as the novels. That being said, I thought The Mist was excellent. It's damn close to what Mr. King intended it to be, and the ending is pretty heartbreaking, if I say so myself. I've always been a fan of big apocalyptic monster filled movies, and this one didn't disappoint in the least. I've read the novelette that this was based on a few times over the years, and I strongly recommend checking it out. The soundtrack is almost non-existant, which actually works really well in the movie. It sort of makes an outlandish situation more realistic. In real life, if this shit happened, there would be no exciting music to get you pumped up. You'd just have to make due with what you have. Again, if you're a fan of movies like War Of The Worlds, and Cloverfield, you'll most likely be into The Mist.

King is my favorite author and The Mist is one of my favorite stories by him. It was one that I could always see turning out to actually be a decent movie, rather than the garbage most of the other movies are. The odd things is, even though there are tons of movie versions of his works, they've kind of slowed down recently. Only a few were made in the past few years that I can think of. But in the next two years there are something like ten new King movies being made, including a remake of IT for television, which I'm both anticipating and dreading, as I don't think they'll be able to do better than the original. But hey, this isn't quite relevant either, and since I haven't actually seen the movie version of The Mist yet, I don't really have much to contribute lol
:tinysmile:

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
I have yet to see In Bruges.

Vantage Point didn't really keep me interested that much, although the story was decent.

The Mist was okay. The ending was pretty intense.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Counsel2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
The Mist, in my opinion, was fucking fantastic. Best adaptation of his work imo.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Just watched Vantage Point, meh =/

Mist next =)
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award

Lol, still watching
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 102
Fucking damn, I hate this nutty religious bitch
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
lol, did you like it? I thought it was a great movie.

Rep:
Level 102
Finished, I didn't really like either that much =(
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Brits have bad taste in movies.
That's why Jason Statham abandoned you

Rep:
Level 94
Brits have bad taste in movies.
That's why Jason Statham abandoned you

Ugh, you can have him back.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
I enjoy Jason Stathams movies.  :-\