RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[EPIC] BRAID - The God of all Games is here, retro and modern.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
BRAID
Is it unexpected that the best game ever is an independent game? (XBOX 360)
http://braid-game.com/news/

Braid is played by solving physical puzzles in a somewhat standard platform game environment like Super Mario Bros. with jumping and enemies. The main innovation is the player's ability to reverse time and "rewind" one's actions, even after dying. The game is divided into seven worlds, including an overworld in the form of the main character's house. The worlds are entered through doors in the house. Each world has its own time-based gimmick such as objects that don't rewind with the rest of the universe or "ghosts" of the players previous actions that appear after rewinding, resulting in complicated puzzles. Each stage contains puzzle pieces that must be collected to create images that tell the story, as well as to unlock the last stage.

Though the environment is composed of relatively simple objects, the art is very elaborate and whimsical. The worlds and backgrounds were designed by David Hellman, who was responsible for the art in the critically acclaimed webcomic A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible. The character visuals were originally created by Edmund Mcmillen, but were later redrawn by Hellman "to better match the now-predominant style of the backgrounds".

Spoiler for The Reviews:
Xbox World 360 reviews Braid: 10.0
August 6th, 2008

It’s among the best games of the generation, and is unquestionably and immediately the best game ever to have been released on Xbox Live Arcade.

1up.com reviews Braid; score: A+

Nick Suttner of 1up just posted his review. Here’s a quote:

Braid is made truly divine with emotional depth and a bittersweet humanity — a monumentally relevant game…

Eurogamer reviews Braid: 10/10
August 5th, 2008

Eurogamer has reviewed Braid and given it a score of 10/10, saying:

Braid has filled my head with so many ideas, so many opinions, so many emotions that wrestling them all into a coherent critique is like trying to strangle a swan made of jelly.

And then also:

Braid is beautiful, entertaining and inspiring. It stretches both intellect and emotion, and these elements dovetail beautifully rather than chafing against each other. Still wondering if games can be art? Here’s your answer.

Eurogamer give ten out of ten review, say:
I almost never give out full marks, generally reserving that honour for retro games that have proven their worth many times over, but Braid has me in its spell. Judged purely as a game, it’s cunning, ingenious and endlessly surprising. ...But there’s so much more here, a desire to create a game experience that is more than mere technical craft.

Also, XBOX World give ten out of ten review, too, and also say:
In a world without Mario and Valve and the Bethesda hit factory Braid is indeed the best game ever made; in this world, it’s among the best games of the generation, and is unquestionably and immediately the best game ever to have been released on Xbox Live Arcade.

Spoiler for Screens:

Spoiler for Videos:

Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
So it's a game that should probably be freeware, or at the most one of those games you never pay for because nobody gives a shit about them.  Basically, it looks like a platformer with time distortion?  whoop-de-fucking-do.  Guess what, it's already been done in goddamn Game Maker, and how anyone could think it is the best game is fucking beyond me.  Utter shit, nobody will care about it, it will disappear into bargain bins.
EDIT: I'll admit it looks to be fun, and probably a good game, but I stand by my previous statement.
EDIT2: Checked other resources, everyone is orgasming over this game.  I don't understand why it is so amazing at all, but I plan to now back it as amazing also.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:35:09 AM by Biohazard »

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Maybe you should actually play it before judging it. :V

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Maybe you should actually play it before judging it. :V
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I don't own a 360, woe is me.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
I don't own a 360, woe is me.
The blog mentioned that there will be a pc version, though the exact date is unknown.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 88
This looks to be fun. I won't be presumptuous enough to cal it epic yet, because all I've seen right now is some pretty art and a little time distortion, but it certainly looks fun.