RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED] Speed up PCI Express without replacing motherboard?

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
In my room I have a spare PC with a graphics card capable of x16 in PCI Express (ATI Radeon X1550 IceQ), so I thought I would test the speed of the video card. After some testing I noticed that it wasn't going the the speed it was supposed to be running at (transfer rate at 700MB/s), this led me to the conclusion that the motherboard is not capable of x16, even though it can take a x16 card.

I have checked the BIOS to see if their is a setting that will allow me to change the speed of PCI Express, which it didn't. I then remebered that I didn't update the BIOS for this motherboard.

So I was wondering; could updating the BIOS allow change in PCI Express speeds?

Note: I don't know much about PCI Express so be nice. :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 03:22:46 PM by CorTez Chubbs »

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php

Download, install, save info to htm, upload
bringing sexy back

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Here you go.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Bus PCI-Express
Device : Radeon X1300 Series
Version : 1.0
Port : 0
Link Width : x16 (max. x16)
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s

The X1300 isn't that powerful, it doesn't need the full 2.5GB/s and so won't use it if it doesn't need to. Basically, it's not that the card is being bottlenecked, it's that it's weak-ish   ;)

Also I'd recommend an upgrade to XP on that thing =o
bringing sexy back

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Hmm...it said it was an X1550 on the box, but okay.

Thanks for your help Roph and I'll see if I can find my XP disc for my spare. :D

+rep