RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Palette switching in RPG's.

Rep:
Level 86
This part of me, I choose not to see.
Good or bad?
I personally think it's bad, but it's the price we pay for getting better graphics in our games. Each 3D model would be incredibly difficult to make and take ages to do, but recolours can take 1/5 of that. I was almost considering using palette switching for my own game, which is a side-view system and since it is quite hard to find monsters for those systems, I have to make them myself. But I've decided quality over speed.
All FF's above and including FFX had this feature. Even off my head, I can name over 10 in the three that have been reused.
So, what does everyone think?

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Yeah, pretty much all FF's below FFX used this, too.
So did Chrono Trigger.

I dunno, I don't think it's really a big deal.

But play Okami. The enemy designs are incredibly original, and there's absolutely no palette switching.

It's little things like that that make Okami such a good game.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Pallet switching is double edged. Do it right, and people won't notice it- sometimes they'll appreciate it. I enjoy finding a favorite enemy in a stronger form later in the game, complete with a new and doubly threatening paint job. Of course, OVER do it and you'll just make your game look half-assed.

Moderation is key.

Rep:
Level 86
This part of me, I choose not to see.
The only palette switching I remember in FF8 was Tiamat and Bahamut, and they were supposed to be the same monster/GF...

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
honestly it's not really a big deal.  In the end the monsters still die ;)

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon