RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
ryanleber.com v.2.0 is up!

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
*commencing thx phase
*thx
*thx phase complete

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
something other than quicktime please?! :(

otherwise your music section has been so incredibly inspiring i may just delve back into tabit :)

Rep:
Level 96

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
It's also total BS. Why not convert to flash?

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Uh doesn't Arlen have a Mac?

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
Uh flash is cross-platform.

edit: or even better, make a youtube account, upload the videos to that and then embed in your page.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
I know it is, but the Mac thing might explain why he uses quicktime.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
I'm not questioning why he uses it, I'm questioning why he's not using a more efficient alternative.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
You could resort to quicktime alternative, which supports embedded QT stuff in firefox. Still, would prefer to have my PC clean of anything to do with quicktime, but ;/
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
I'm not questioning why he uses it, I'm questioning why he's not using a more efficient alternative.
The Quicktime format was practically made for internet movies, Malson.
It's only not efficient because you don't want to download a tiny little application to run it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:09:39 PM by M. Night Shyamarlen »

Rep:
Level 96
LOL Okay, so I just converted the video to flash to give it a try. It killed the quality, first of all, and second of all it won't play because, get this:

I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD A PLUGIN TO PLAY IT.

So either way, you're going to have to download some little program to play it, even if you use flash.

Just download quicktime, Malson.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
The Quicktime format was practically made for internet movies, Malson.
It's only not efficient because you don't want to download a tiny little application to run it.

it's not efficient because quicktime is one of the most intrusive and memory-hemorrhaging pieces of software I've ever encountered, actually. either way I took roph's advice and got quicktime alternative so it's all good now.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Even back in 1999, the install base of the flash player was 92 percent of all Internet users.

That page doesn't have newer numbers, and I can't be bothered to find them lol. Quicktime's is much, much lower.

You could encode a high or low quality quicktime movie just like you could encode a high or low quality flash movie, and if you encoded a flash movie FROM an already compressed quicktime movie it would be bad.

FLash 7 uses sorenson video, which is shit, but Flash 8's standard video format is Vp6, which is h.264 based. Quicktime is h.264 based also, so they're basically the same.

Flash is pretty much an internet standard, quicktime is not, no matter how much apple wishes it was.

I can't be bothered to write more lol, nor do I care, QT Alternative works ok.

[edit] [17:28] <Ego> Did you make sure to add that QuickTime player doesn't do anything unique?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:27:22 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
Well I already got rid of my source videos, so it's too late for that, lol.

It's strange, though, that I've never heard of .flv until like 2 weeks ago.

The only 'flash video' format I'd heard of was that, yes, very popular interactive video software thing. Which is not the same as a simple video.

And what unique thing do I need it to do? It's a movie player, I don't need it to be obnoxious and scream at me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:30:44 PM by M. Night Shyamarlen »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
well it's still intrusive but QT Alternative nullifies that problem so debating is pretty much pointless now. At the very least, note that the videos require QuickTime and post a link to it (or the alternative, or both, lol. it's your site).

Rep:
Level 96
Fair enough, I'll put a link in the links section for non-mac users.

Rep:
Level 96
Even back in 1999, the install base of the flash player was 92 percent of all Internet users.

That page doesn't have newer numbers, and I can't be bothered to find them lol. Quicktime's is much, much lower.

You could encode a high or low quality quicktime movie just like you could encode a high or low quality flash movie, and if you encoded a flash movie FROM an already compressed quicktime movie it would be bad.

FLash 7 uses sorenson video, which is shit, but Flash 8's standard video format is Vp6, which is h.264 based. Quicktime is h.264 based also, so they're basically the same.

Flash is pretty much an internet standard, quicktime is not, no matter how much apple wishes it was.

I can't be bothered to write more lol, nor do I care, QT Alternative works ok.

[edit] [17:28] <Ego> Did you make sure to add that QuickTime player doesn't do anything unique?

Back in 1999, the flv file didn't exist as a standalone video file, it existed as a proprietary file you had to download Macromedia's Flash player to play. Flash Video (FLV) files have a .flv file extension and are used from within .swf files. And websites used swf's not because they used flv's, but because swf's were interactive and provided more options for web designers. These statistics you're pulling are flawed because they're not entirely based upon the popularity of flash video, they're based upon the obvious popularity of interactive flash websites.

FLV became a standalone format in 2007 (December) with Adobe's Flash Player 9 release, which explains why I've only heard of it recently. But as for a few months ago when I was making this website, I wasn't aware you could directly embed flash videos on a website. And for good reason, the format as standalone was only a few months old.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:50:44 PM by M. Night Shyamarlen »

Rep:
Level 87
Arlen, I love your "Just Hold My Hand" midi, absolutely love it.

Great job <333

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
I didn't notice this till now D: Awesome stuff. :3
:tinysmile: