RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RPG Maker 2003... Illegal? O___o

Rep: +0/-0Level 86
Digital_Bits by any other name is just as deranged
(Okay, there was a thread for this below, but it's... dead now. o-o)

Alright, so I have a quick questions here:

I have the downloaded version of RPG Maker 2003 from the Downloads section of Crankeye. Is it or is it not legal?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just saw this, and now I'm confused too. X_x

(EDIT: Sorry if this is in the wrong place. If so, please move it to the correct board. I think my brain... might've shut-off when I was putting this here. D: )
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 01:28:05 AM by Digital_Bits »
Who says you have to be sane to make an RPG?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Yes. You're going to be arrested and fined $50,000 by Enterbrain.

Rep:
Level 88
Paradoxial failboats are cool.
It's illegal,(they charged money in Japan) but no one has ever gotton sued by enterbrain. Even the guy who translated Rm2k to english and gave it to everyone for free did'nt get sued.
The message below is false.
The message above is true.

That's wonderful. [-_-]

Well, back to working towards getting Flash then.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
That's wonderful. [-_-]

You will only be fined if they find out, and they will only find out if you tell them. You are fine. Don't worry. Look at it this way, there's no where to buy it in English legally (I think) so it's not really stealing.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

That's wonderful. [-_-]

You will only be fined if they find out, and they will only find out if you tell them. You are fine. Don't worry. Look at it this way, there's no where to buy it in English legally (I think) so it's not really stealing.

Yeah, I guess, but still. I'm not really into illegal downloads.

Hopefully I can get the Japanese version (yes, I'm one of those crazy nerd-people who's planning on learning Japanese [o-o]) at some point.

Thanks for answering my question.

Rep:
Level 88
Paradoxial failboats are cool.
That's wonderful. [-_-]

Yeah, I guess, but still. I'm not really into illegal downloads.

Hopefully I can get the Japanese version (yes, I'm one of those crazy nerd-people who's planning on learning Japanese [o-o]) at some point.

Thanks for answering my question.
I think it's only illegal if your stealing money from the company. With Rm2k3, you aren't stealing money.
The message below is false.
The message above is true.

Rep:
Level 86
I, me, my... you?
So basically, on every single moral ground, you are stealing and it's illegal. Do Enterbrain care you're stealing their outdated, non-profitable product? I seriously doubt it.

Yes, it's a bad, illegal thing to do, but you're not going to bankrupt Enterbrain, either.
Pretty simple, huh?
Working on: Oh my, Gradion! (A post-apocalyptic adventure)
Currently Playing: Lunar Knights, Cave Story

My plan was, the first few games or so would be free-for-download, but eventually I'd like to actually be making games for sale. Not necessarily using RPG Maker 2003, but something else, probably.

Fine. I'll keep working in RPG Maker 2003. [=x=] At least until I can get the official Japan version. XD

Rep:
Level 86
My opinion is as long you don't sell your game then its legal cause your not getting profit of there program so there not losong money anyway typacly speaking ofcourse  :P

Rep:
Level 84
<Jesus Saves>
o_o; Last I heard (and saw in multiple forums), Enterbrain is no longer backing RM2k3, which should somewhat increase legality (as far as just owning the software goes)... but I don't doubt it's still illegal to sell / distribute, especially games made with them  :police:

ハープダープ

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 09:11:21 PM »

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Jet Set Radio
My opinion is as long you don't sell your game then its legal cause your not getting profit of there program so there not losong money anyway typacly speaking ofcourse  :P
Oh no, you can sell your game. Just you'd had to give them credit. Aveyond is RPG Maker XP game that is being sold. However, they created everything from scratch (sprites, music, scripts) which enabled them to sell their games. You can do the same with your game if you make everything from scratch, otherwise you'd have to ask the creators of the script, music, etc. for permission.

If RPG Maker 2K3 isn't be backed up anymore, then I don't think Enterbrain will give a shit. However, they may get a little upset about finding RPG Maker XP for download, but they will get incredibly pissed if they find VX.
- My company P:
Detectives

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Aveyond was sold legally since they paid for rmxp as said in EULA
and yeah they don't care about rm2k3 anymore

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Whether Enterbrain sues or not does not change the fact that it is illegal. (The English version that is)

You can talk about that the likelihood of Enterbrain suing you increases severely if you sell your RPG Maker 2003 rather than distribute it for free. This does not change the illegality of it, but it does change the amount of money Enterbrain can get from suing you.

Rep:
Level 84
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
Whether Enterbrain sues or not does not change the fact that it is illegal. (The English version that is)

You can talk about that the likelihood of Enterbrain suing you increases severely if you sell your RPG Maker 2003 rather than distribute it for free. This does not change the illegality of it, but it does change the amount of money Enterbrain can get from suing you.

Until there's an official English version (which isn't going to happen) it's (technically) not illegal.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll

Until there's an official English version (which isn't going to happen) it's (technically) not illegal.
So I could download a game and translate it to german or something and whoever downloads the translated copy isnt doing anything illegal right :V

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
No.
It is illegal. (in most countries. There might be some odd country where it's not illegal >_>)
It might be in practice impossible or infeasible to sue outside of Japan until an English version comes out.
Their incentive for dealing with the problem until their is an English version is low since it spreads knowledge of the program and the majority of the users would not have bought the Japanese version either way.
This does not change the illegality of it.
It is not very difficult to understand. It only becomes difficult when you are considering patents and what can be done to enforce the rights in practice.

*hugs*
 - Zeriab