RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Real-Time Strategy vs. Turn-Based Strategy

Rep:
Level 88
Which do you think is better? I want reasons. I'm a huge fan of strategy games, so I'm wondering what you guys think.

Me, personally, prefer RTS. I love games like Warhammer 40000, Command & Conquer, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander, ect.

I do like Fire Emblem though. It's the only TBS that I've ever liked much though.

Discuss! ;D

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
I don't like strategy games at all, and I felt the need to post in this thread to let you know.

Carry on.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
TBS, because I say so.  Advance wars and FE ftw.

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
Depends on the scale.
Games running on the scale and compexity of the Civ series probably wouldn't be very fun in real time, as almost everything in that game takes precise pre-meditation. However, I guess Sins of a Solar Empire runs on a pretty huge, detailed scale in real time...I was thinking of checking it out.

However, on smaller scales, I really prefer RTSs, although some...such as Company of Heroes and Tiberium Wars are too fast paced for me to simply open up and play. To seriously play TW (mind you, this means against medium AI for me) I have to think about build order beforehand and actually concentrate...which means no looking at all the shines on my tanks... =P
The same goes for Company of Heroes. I have to put myself in a really geared-up mindset to even compete against that game's EASY AI. Those sons of bitches take over the whole map if you dont do something in the first few minutes...

Of course, thats just because I'm used to turtling in slower-paced RTS games, specifically the Age of Empires series. Dawn of War is also one I really enjoy, as it's sort of medium paced. Not quite as much of a resource-gathering "lets mass units up n' stuff" RTS like AoE, but not as "You have to pause the game to plan" as Company of Heroes.
Then again, maybe I'm just not very good at those games. = P

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
RTS.
Not like TBS', RTS governs a fourth dimension : time.
Well it adds complexity to the game and is more action-ey than TBS'.
TBS' are more strategic howver, it requires more thinking than RTS, soehow.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I can't stand RTS at all since the time is involved. TBS requires more raw thinking imo although that may naturally not be the case ~____~
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 88
@Lord Dante: Tiberium Wars is too fast..? I can beat things on medium without too much difficulty. And yeah, those tanks have lots o' shines. :P

One of the reasons I like RTS is because it puts pressure on you. You have to make a decision NOW. TBS just doesn't have enough pressure for me. Also, RTS is more realistic. War doesn't take turns.

Also, has anyone played World in Conflict? There's some pressure for you. :o

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
ons I like RTS is because it puts pressure on you. You have to make a decision NOW. TBS just doesn't have enough pressure for me. Also, RTS is more realistic. War doesn't take turns.
The cold war did.  Every turn was >end turn.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Zero to Hero2013 Biggest Drama WhoreParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
@Lord Dante: Tiberium Wars is too fast..? I can beat things on medium without too much difficulty. And yeah, those tanks have lots o' shines. :P

One of the reasons I like RTS is because it puts pressure on you. You have to make a decision NOW. TBS just doesn't have enough pressure for me. Also, RTS is more realistic. War doesn't take turns.

Also, has anyone played World in Conflict? There's some pressure for you. :o
Well, it's fast in that you have to quickly execute a specific build order (at least in my experience, at least in Multiplayer) in order to win. What I found was that most players at my "level" used the tactic of sitting in the base as GDI and teching up to mammoth tanks with rail guns, then flattening my base. Maybe I should play more, and I also beat the Medium AI pretty well, once or twice.
I suppose "fast" is more fitting for a game like World in Conflict (which, actually, is pretty fun) or Company of Heroes (just downright intense). The word I'm looking for for CC3 isn't so much as word as the phrase, "single-minded". Despite all of the fun, intricate strategies EA set up, in the original CC3 the only tactic I've seen (and it works) is the aforementioned "Boom". In most, teching up to the highest tier would take long enough to mount an effective rush. However, with the right structure, a player can get a startling amount of firepower in a short amount of time.
Some may argue that this in itself is a kind of strategy, but I really prefer games that require thought while playing. That being said, I also realise that build-order and sharpening skills for maintaining a good economy in the Command and Conquer series is part of the gameplay, whereas mashing units together is what gives it its appeal. I think that CC3 would benefit largely from some balancing improvements.
Or, maybe I just suck and need to get better. Who knows.

Rep:
Level 88
I sorta agree with you there. Mammoth Tanks are quite unfair at times. C&C3 isn't my favorite RTS. If you can stay alive long enough to make a large group of tanks, you've pretty much won.

World in Conflict was great, just way too short. Have you ever played Multiplayer on that? That gets pretty hard. Even against computer players.

Great way to sum that all up. :tpg:

Rep:
Level 87
I have to say that I prefer TBS to RTS, but that's probably because I've played more TBS games than RTS games.

RTS games I've played: Age of Empires 2, Age of Mythology
TBS games I've played: Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation, Luminous Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

So yea, I guess I'm more biased towards TBS games. But they both have their good points.

TBS: Causes you to think tactically, pushing your brain and giving you a challenge.
RTS: Kind of the same as above, although you have to think faster and there aren't any turns, giving you less time to think.

TBS games FTW, in my opinion. ;8

I am epic, you are not.
Rep:
Level 93
Defender of Justice
I sorta agree with you there. Mammoth Tanks are quite unfair at times. C&C3 isn't my favorite RTS. If you can stay alive long enough to make a large group of tanks, you've pretty much won.

World in Conflict was great, just way too short. Have you ever played Multiplayer on that? That gets pretty hard. Even against computer players.

Great way to sum that all up. :tpg:
=P

But yeah, I actually just downloaded the demo to see if I'd like it. Its really fun, just hard. It really reminds me of the Battlefield (FPS) series, because you can die quickly and yet still score highly as long as you do your job. Also, I always end up playing Armor, but thats probably the easiest to play as.
I never win, and I don't know why, but I swear its the fault of the bots. = P

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
I think there are some good arguments here, but some TBS require lots of fast thinking. You may have all the time in the world. However, you still need to plan very far ahead, and you can never be sure of what the opponent is going to do next. You may be screwed the next second.
There is a lot more pressure in TBSs to me.
Whereas in RTS, you can see what the enemy is doing at all times.
I personally prefer Warcraft II over most TBSs and RTSs, but I think I like TBS more. Advanced Wars is just so amazing.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
I love all strategy games, they both make you think

Rep:
Level 89
Depends on the scale.
Games running on the scale and compexity of the Civ series probably wouldn't be very fun in real time, as almost everything in that game takes precise pre-meditation. However, I guess Sins of a Solar Empire runs on a pretty huge, detailed scale in real time...I was thinking of checking it out.

However, on smaller scales, I really prefer RTSs, although some...such as Company of Heroes and Tiberium Wars are too fast paced for me to simply open up and play. To seriously play TW (mind you, this means against medium AI for me) I have to think about build order beforehand and actually concentrate...which means no looking at all the shines on my tanks... =P
The same goes for Company of Heroes. I have to put myself in a really geared-up mindset to even compete against that game's EASY AI. Those sons of bitches take over the whole map if you dont do something in the first few minutes...

This is the same with all games RTS related both multiplayer and against anything over medium AI. I just suck at these games for some reason even when im doing good. Boe knows.