RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Monster Hunter- Like game.

Rep:
Level 87
I don't know how many of you have played it, but there is an awesome game out there called monster hunter ( to see it, search it on youtube or google or wikipedia). I was wandering if anyone thinks or knows of a way to make a game simillair to it? Right now I have an idea.
-Find a good, simple, intuitve abs script
-Figure out how to make a on screen map (script) and areas to work =P.
-Get monster ai to work properly (make rathalos's shoot fireballs, etc.)
-Get items to work right
-Get sharpness to work right
-Get carving to work right
-Get crafting to work right
Crap.
Well, since I have absolutley no clue, anyone have any ideas for some of this? I'd love to make my own MH game.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
With the volumes of scripts out there for RMXP, I am sure you will be able to implement a lot of those features. For instance, there are plenty of crafting scripts, including one in our database by Leon Westbrooke. An ABS: I would recommend BlizzABS @chaosproject.co.nr. It includes a minimap if I am not mistaken. The AI is also good enough to handle what you are asking for I believe. I do not know what sharpness or carving is, nor do I know the way items are supposed to work, but I suspect that there are similar scripts out there.

This isn't really RMXP discussion though - moving to New Projects (I know that this might not be a project, but part of the purpose of that forum is to bounce ideas on a new game off of people, so... ->)

Rep:
Level 88
Monster Hunter is cool. Also, just cause I want to say something, Sharpness is basically weapon durability. As it goes down the attack power goes down. Carving is getting items from enemies.

Anyway, I wish you luck on this. I love Monster Hunter, so I'll look forward to this.

Rep:
Level 87
Thanks you two, and sorry for posting it in the wrong board (yes, this is a project). I'll look around for Blizz Abs, and I'll try and figure out a sharpness-like attribute or something. Also, I'm really new to abs, anything I should know for the more complex ones?

Also, a little more help ( I know i'm asking for alot, but I am really interested.)
Okay, so in the game mosnter hunter, you pretty much want to be the best hunter ever. You live in a small village and their is a village chief who gives you quests. These quests are in different areas (Forest and Hills, Desert, Swamp, and Volcano) and in these areas are smaller areas, which are marked on a map like areas1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, and 10.Your weapon has a sharpness limit (for simplicity, I'll make it go up to green- full attack power) and the weapon get's duller (weaker) as you hit monsters more.Also, some areas require a certain item to maintain either stamina or health (cool drinks in the desert and volcano, hot drinks in the caves in the swamp and desert). And after you do a certain thing in a quest, the game rewards you with itmes and money, and you can carve the monsters you defeat. Some quests require you to defeat a certain number of smaller monsters, defeat a large "Boss" monster, or simply deliver items back to your starting area (or camp). In the camp is two boxes- a blue one that gives you items that you can use on the quest, but that you lose after the quest is completed, you fail the quest, or you abandon the quest (in which the game resets you to before you accepted the quest). These are called supply items.

So, my questions are:

1. Is it possible to make a "Sharpness" through events that I'll have to use as in abs?
2. How could I make supply items?
3. How could I make a map spread over many maps (not needed)
4. How coud I implement cool drinks and hot drinks?
5. Anyone know if there is any place at all I could find monster hunter characters (battlers if I can't get abs working right) or mp3's?
6. Is it possible to get paperdoll in an xp game?
7. And lastly how could I make a rewards screen?

Thanks for all the help, it is GREATLY appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 09:39:57 PM by Rathalos888 »

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
for number 3 you could just make everyhing in a World mp like land, then for each sector of each area, just build it like a town, put in 10 litle sectors that you enter, each leading to areas 1-3.  This is as I understand from your description, I haven't played Mnster Hunter.

Also, for 4 you could put a timer on and set a parralel process to reduce your helth, wait, reduce hp, wait..... after the timer reaches 0.  Then a switch item (the cool drinks) that resets the timer.  (Again, from my understaning I think you mean you only have so long before you ge too hot in the volcano and start getting hurt / dying and need drinks to keep you cool)

Hope it helped at least....