RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Programming question.

Rep:
Level 86
Are there anyone here who knows much about Ruby or Ruby on Rails. If so Could someone tell me if they are a good alternative to Perl, Java, and PHP. Thank you.
Monkeys work better than zombies.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I know a tiny bit about Ruby because of RGSS, but you shouldn't really be asking if it's a good alternative. It's probably best to see what you can do with it and see if the programming language style suits you.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I know Ruby specifically for use with RMXP, so I couldn't tell you much otherwise, sorry

although Java is simple and PHP is very powerful, and there's a lot of resources out there, so I'd stick with those personally

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
It all depends on what you are going to program for, what your objective is.  Web applications, games, etc.

Rep:
Level 86
I dont know yet, Ive just been surveying a lot of programming languages, and have stopped at these choices. I love to look at Ruby syntax, and im hearing a lot of good things about Ruby on Rails.  Although the others are more established, and more resources available. Theres a lot of diffrent things I want to do, but im just at a toss up on which to learn.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Well, if you are just interested in learning, then choose whichever you prefer.  :)  You can start with one, then go with the others, one by one.  :)

Rep:
Level 86
I might, im just not confident enough in my learning abilities hehe. Im trying really hard to learn something alone, but its really hard to learn by yourself, I hope I can find a partner to study with.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
I know it's hard, but you can do it.  ^^;  I am into the same dilemma.

Rep:
Level 86
Thanks for the vote of confidence. So what are you trying to learn by yourself?

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Hah!  So many things...  Not only programming.  But I've been learning PHP by myself for about two years.  Taking my time.  The key is practice.  And I have not practiced enough.  That is why it's taking so long.  But I've progressed a lot!  And knowing at least one language is a great advantage to learning other languages.  The basics are usually the same.  However, I don't know much about object-oriented programming.  Some of the languages you mentioned are object-oriented.  Ruby and Java, if I am not wrong.

Rep:
Level 86
Your right, they are OO. Good luck with the PHP, if you ever want a study partner let me know, I can help you practice or something.

pokeball MazOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 85
I've never used Ruby myself, since I do not really have much time to learn new things at my hands. Besides after I finish my 8hrs day at work (which I spend writing C for WCDMA base stations) last thing I want to do is programming :/

But I have firends who do web publishing for their work, and all of them say that Ruby is far simpler, safer and better than php for example. But they also say that if you choose ruby for your site, then you'll limit your options what comes to finding a host for your site... Not all hosts support ruby, while almost all do suppoort php for example :)

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
OLD TOPIC IS OLD. STOP NECROING THIS BOARD.

pokeball MazOfflineMale
Rep:
Level 85
Sorry, I honestly did not notice the dates, and since these boards seemed to be quite active, I thought these posts were more recent. (Besides these topics were interesting ones). Sorry, won't happen again. (And I would have PMed this reply to you, if I knew how you was... Aprill fools of arlen however did it quite hard ;) )