RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RPG in visual basic 6.0

Absolutely the one chosen by fadark
Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I'm making an rpg.  I need some good names, story ideas that you are willing to share, good music (must be in mp3 format), or any good resources, I have basically no story right now, I'm just working on getting an engine up and running.  Now while you think this is an easily placeable topic, there is one snag; I'm not using any of the programs listed for forums.  I'm using visual basic, for my computer programming class.  So I wasn't exactly sure where to put this.  If you feel you need to move it, so be it.  I'd like to hear some input of what you think would be good storyline or music wise, don't tell me to make some crazy battle system, as I am new to coding.  Help appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:14:02 PM by biohazard »

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
Well I am unsure on what kind of theme and setting you like, but here may be a plot for you.

It is very early in the morning, and out of a peaceful slumber you hear several knocks at your door. You get up to go to the door, when you answer it, two men quickly grab you. They turn you around and rope your hands and then knock you out.

You awake in a dark dreary dungeon. The scene around you is that off skeletons and rats. You look forward to the other end of the cell. You can see men walking about in the hall through the cell. You hail to them, and they reply. "You will die here. You have no right to be among the living." Utterly confused as to what you may have done to deserve this, you begin to plead for you life. The men do not listen to you.

After 4 days pass, and no water or food is given to you. You start to think it is the end for you. Then you hear from the other side of the cell, heavy footsteps. You could recgonize the footsteps as those of a knights. The footsteps eventually emerged into a large dark figure. He then asks you what your name is. After several minutes of hard thinking, you seemed to have lost all knowledge of your identity. You could only remember your past as a humble farmworker.

The knight then said, you have ceased to exist. You are nothing more than a Earthly spirit. The noble kingdom of Malarok has sent me here to charge you with a special quest. You are to infiltrate the four holy kingdoms of Dunik, Zever, Alionik, and Gushea. You will be able to do this through, possessing people that are closest to the holy obsidians. The holy obsidians will make our kingdom glorious, and wealthy.

The only thing you could utter was, "Why?".

The knight then continued to say, After you died we preformed a ritual, we had to kill 1000 people, and gather the ingredients neccessary in order to preform an unholy ritual. We now have complete control over your descions, and actions. If you dare try to defy us, we have the ability to send you to hell. If you finish the tasks desired, we will allow your spirit free.

"Then I have no choice... I will do as you say."

The knight then added one last thing. There are people out there whos will and strength of there spirit are far to mighty for you to possess now. You need to possess weak people, and strengthen your soul within them. In order to do that, you will have to experience great Physical, and Mental strains within there bodies. I suggest the best way to do that is to enter battle, and experience emotions. Now go...

I hope you like that, I just came up with it now.

The boys are going out for hookers and ice cream. Is that something you would be interested in?

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Actually, I really do like that!  I only see a few obvious problems; Why would they choose a farmer at random to do this with, and I wont use that they had to kill 1000 people, or that they need it for their kingdoms riches.  The number 1000 is a far too overused rpg cliche, and I can probably think of something better than money that they need this for.  As for them picking a random farmer, I was thinking instead they would do this to an enemy general or a good mercenary, only to realize that although you were strong in body, you had no motivation, and your soul is weak, and so the new body you gained through the ritual is nowhere near as strong as your old body.  I'm just brainstorming here, I'd like to hear your input.

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
Go for it, it was all improv lol. I would be honored if you used it though haha.
The boys are going out for hookers and ice cream. Is that something you would be interested in?

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I'll use it ver batum.  Thanks for the idea though, I was going to just go with the cliche starting town, you wake up as an adolescent, etc.  Yours is much more creative.  Thanks.

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
If theres anything else you need writing wise lemme know. Im more than willing to help.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I'm willing to hear any ideas you can think of, nothing is set in stone just yet.  Here is just what I was thinking of for your first idea, and I really like how it's already coming along.
BASIC POINTS:
-You are at war with an enemy faction, and you are a strong general
-Your enemy faction sends out a kidnapping party and they attack you at night and bring you back to their stronghold
-They kill you, and give you a new body, they now have your soul
-Your soul was weaker than your body during the ritual, so your new body is weak when it is first formed
-The enemy faction now has you working under their control, but you are too weak to help them in the war, so they send you to get stronger (see; small quests and basic monsters)
-As soon as you are strong enough, they send you with an attack party to fight your own faction, and you kill former allies because you have no choice.  Your entire ally faction is wiped out. (see; BAWWWW)
-You realize, in this battle, that you cannot be killed, and you confront your masters with a feeling of invincibility
-You were a dumbass, they banish you to hell, and your soul is now in possession of Satan.
-You get stronger and stronger in hell, and you are immortal, so you start a quest to escape
-After fighting through hell and confronting lucifer, you beat him in some sort of riddle or some shit because he is too strong for you to try to fight any other way, you escape, but now your soul is back in your body, and you can be killed again.
-Basically, there was a scene telling you how much long you have been in hell (500 or so years)
-As you get back to earth, you realize that what was once a small enemy faction has become a large empire, and you still hold a huge grudge (see; confronting a large empire cliche)
-You infiltrate the empire, and although you are not immortal, you are still very powerful from your long life of fighting
-You start assassinating people, eventually you are found out and you are forced to flee from the empire
-You find a group much like your old faction, and join them to work against the empire
-You fall in love with some character in your faction
-Empire finds you, kills off person you are in love with
-You go back to hell and trade your soul for immortality for 10 years or however long would be a good plot device, and you make a deal with Satan to bring your lover back to life, in return you will kill off an entire empire
-You basically go on a pissed off rampage across the empire as an immortal, leaving it in shambles and starting a new kingdom
-You have X number of years left, and your kingdom is the strongest and you have flourished, and you have a family with said lover
-You die of natural causes, and this is before 10 years is up.  It falls under God's jurisdiction, and he is merciful because you have destroyed an evil manipulative empire, you were a victim in the past, and you always did what was "right"
-Happy ending and shit, sequel is your son, and you're a voice in his head from heaven, (see; FUCKING NAVI)

The only large part I see missing is a party, but I dont know where I would include that.  Ideas and comments appreciated.

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
Well if your going that way, may I suggest a demon owning system, where every time you visit "Hell" you can  search for demons to own.

Or, find people that are willing to follow you around.

or maybe, There is a faction that is willing to fight for you.

or just introduce diffrent characters into the plot. You can do it hehe, you seem like a creative thinker so yup.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I'm sure I can think of where to put some characters pretty fast.  And It's not really going to be a sandbox type game, after you are out of hell, you can't just trot in again to say hello to old buddies.  I do like the idea that you brought a demon character out with you.  And like I said, the rebel faction that helps you against the empire is where you will get a couple party members.

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
There ya go. So your using basic on this? I think you also said you havent really used it before right? Do you have a graphics engine? Or do you have a program you are using to help you out?

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Basically, I have nothing and no idea what I'm doing.  I have a title screen with music and basic controls, and I'm working on how to get an inventory and a walkaround town working.

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
Cool, perhaps I could take a gander sometime at it? Ive always been interested in trying to learn that sort of thing.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Yeah, add me on msn, and I'll rapidshare what I have and you can see it.  biohazard_king@hotmail.com
This is the main site I'm learning from
http://www.markbsplace.net/tutorials/vb-tutorial/default.htm

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Anyone else willing to help me out?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best Veteran2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I'd love to help. It seems like an interesting project. If I get any ideas I will send them your way. Any idea what kind of resources you are looking for?

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I'm planning to use RMXP resources, as there are already many in creation.  I have a problem that I posted about in the RMXP toubleshooting forum, and it is that I cant get the resources out of postality knights because it cant install on my C: drive, because I dont have a C: drive.  More on that later.  I am putting a .rar of the game I have so far on megaupload right now, I'm just trying to get stuff off the ground, such as the menu and things.  Other cursors don't work at all in visual basic, so those are out, and I can't use MIDI files for some reason, they lose virtually all their quality.  So I'm using mp3s, and rmxp resources as soon as I get characters and maps working, which is the meat of the project.  I have a LOT of variables (I didn't realize how many I would have to have at the start, or how many math equations are needed).  I'll post the .rar here when it's done uploading and I see it works from the download.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Bio, this is the first time I've seen you so civil! :o I don't mean it as an offense. Also, you could also just get the real RMXP and only install the RTP. Then find it in the "Common Files" folder and look for it. Alsoooo... Thanks for the link! ;D I need a version of Visual Basic and some basic tutes. I wanna learn XD Because stupid good ol' ahref won't talk to me about WinMOO.

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Well, I'll try to do what you just said about installing the real RMXP and only the RTP, but I can't see it working.  And the link wont have visual basic, just if that was unclear.  I'm hesitant about upping an editable version of my game at all, because of people just stealing it or whatever without credit.  I'm not saying I have much, but I would rather up an exe.  Meh.  14.7%.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
You've got some work ahead of you, bio. I did the same thing for my final project in computer programing, and it was hard.

Do you know what you're going to do for your battle system?

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
I think I'm going to have a timer based attack battle system, a la rpg maker 2003.  And I don't plan to make this whole game for my final project, as that is due in the next week, and I have no way in hell of creating a full game.  I asked my teacher if I could just create a demo version of the game, so I am going to have it cut off after I show just an example of the maps, talking to npcs, battle system, etc. And I know I have some work ahead of me, the next best game in the class is frogger  ;8

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Status update: I now have the resources from RMXP (Thanks to mastermoo for that).  And here is the download link for the rpg.
-FAULTY DOWNLOAD REMOVED-
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 12:47:49 AM by biohazard »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
oh hey cool, I did this once
made a timer based battle system where you beat the crap out of a Chemistry book in VB
lol, I'll DL and play it

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Randomizer - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Um, the file seems to be missing the form "frmintroduction".

Rep:
Level 94
GAAAAAAAAY
Damn  :mad:.  I'll retry right now.  I just noticed it is in a completely different section.   ;9