RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Clericus - New screenshots showing updated features! LOOK AT THEM, DAMMIT

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio

Peridan: A kingdom untouched by the cruel hands of war or disease. A peaceful nation surrounded on all sides by the Great Sea of Caneria.
Where the most auspicious citizens may claim the title of Clericus.
In recent years, such citizens are seldom found, and the few who remain are but elderly scribes on the brink of death.
Before his death, one such scribe took up an apprentice, a young man named Clark.
Clark earned the title as Peridan was consumed by civil unrest. In such times, as the law states, those called Clericus become agents of the king. They become informants, strategists, negotiators, and sometime knights in the service of Peridan.
A country whose peaceful existence is soon to be compromised.
Rintrah, a neighbouring kingdom and long-time ally of Peridan, has withdrawn from the Canerian Confederacy for reasons unknown, and a man by the name of Kane seems to have gained control of the Rintrah Army, the most powerful military force in the world.
Fearing that war may be imminent, the king summons all with the title of Clericus who are able, instructing them to seek out the sage, a man said to be able to read the intentions of any other being.
When Clark and his friend Kyle, a squire, are the only party confirmed to be answering the call, the king appoints to their service a precocious young mage, Gavin.
The three of them set out to find the sage, only to find that he is missing, and in his place, there is a message from Rintrah...

Spoiler for 'cover' and rating:

Rated M for animated blood, animated violence, disturbing thematic material, and brief sexual material.
I know a lot of people have rated their games M, and a couple of them are actually "mature," but this is an actual forewarning that after the first chapter, things are going to get immensely dark. 

(those appearing in the demo)
Spoiler for:

Clark
Race: Human

The protagonist. More of a scholar than a fighter, and hardly a hero, the uncertainty of the era is effectively his call to action. He firmly believes in chivalry and the practice of courtly love, but has spent a large portion of his nineteen years alone—though exceptionally intelligent, he is utterly confused by the nuances of social interaction.
After witnessing the death of his father at age thirteen, he was left to care for his then nine-year-old sister, and for a period time she was his only company. He befriended an elderly scribe named Robert, who became his mentor. Upon Robert’s death he steeped further into his own introversion, preferring books to human company.

Kyle

Clark’s best and essentially only friend. He is somewhat of a foil to Clark; his courage and adventurous spirit outweigh his desire to learn. In contrast to Clark, several girls vie for Kyle’s affection, despite his best efforts to advertise Clark as the attractive one.
He is motivated by a compulsive desire to be viewed as a hero, possibly stemming from the fact that his family consistently seemed disappointed in him.

Gavin

Race: Elf

A talented, if not naïve, practitioner of magic, Gavin’s parents were once the king’s most loyal subjects. Showing a formidable grasp of magic from an early age, his parents, with the approval of the king, enlisted him in a rigourous training program supervised by the widely revered mage Alistair. He remains a subject of the king and will do most anything to continue his parents’ legacy.

Sarah
Clark's sister. His only known living relative and a central figure in his life, she has become a symbol of hope which drives Clark to persevere. She is known for her kind nature and her often coinciding maturity and childlike candour.

Kirsten
Race: Half-Elf

A friend of Clark’s sister. (Bio pending)

Clemens

He leads a regiment which becomes the first wave of troops to engage in battle with Rintrah. (Bio pending)

Branduf

A thief who struggles to keep his face hidden from the parties he often fails to rob. He is known for his use of monsters in his schemes.   

Lileas

A girl with a love of treasure and knowledge of all of Peridan’s important figures. (Bio pending)

Ballard

Race: Centaur

The most highly honoured knight in the king’s court. (Bio pending)

Kane
Race: ?

Little is known thus far. His identity is uncovered over the first half of the game.

Spoiler for:

A vast area to explore.

The iconic title image.

Battles so fast and intense, it's nearly impossible to take a screenshot which properly showcases them!

A lot can be inferred about a person by looking at their bedroom.

A number of engaging sidequests.

Clark will occasionally zone out, prompting comments from other party members.

A variety of religions are practiced in the world of 'Clericus'. Some are good, some are kinda scary.

Highly atmospheric, both visually and audibly.

Spoiler for:
-Interact with nearly everything--bookshelves, barrels, crates, dressers, wardrobes, jars, even pianos!
-A unique story that unfolds over time.
-Drink alcohol, play cards, have your fortune told--many towns have entertainment centers with several entertainment possibilities.
-A diverse cast of psychologically complex characters.
-The ability to change clothes for certain occasions.
-A character promotion system.
-A large amount of completely original music and graphics.
-Lighting effects and fogs which greatly enhance the game's visual quality.
-The ability to actually conduct conversations with certain townspeople.
-'Cinematic' cutscenes.
-Real-time front-view battles courtesy of a special edit of Cogwheel's popular script

Spoiler for:
Game Creator(s)

Dertt - Concept, Producer, Writer, Mapper, Eventer
[Your Name Here] - Assistant Writer/Mapper/Secondary Eventer (Event help)

Scripts

Ccoa - Universal Messaging System
Leon_Westbrooke - Party Changer
MogHunter - Custom Menu System "Mog Menu"
rataime - Mirrors/Reflections
Cogwheel - Real Time Action Battle System

Event Systems

Modern Algebra - BlackJack

Visual Resources

LandOfShadows - Character sets

Features music by
Dertt/Ross Clark/[ RED ] Vengeance [Screen name, real name, and 'band' name, respectively]
Porcupine Tree
Blackfield
Pain of Salvation
Ghost
The Hollywood Session Orchestra
And more!

Patience. It will come soon enough.

Spoiler for Music:
"Synfidelity" - Dertt/Ross Clark (title screen)
MIDI file of continuous noise (?) - ?
"Yori" - Dertt/Ross Clark
"Hedgehog's Dilemma," from Neon Genesis Evangelion OST1
"The Secular Sect" - Dertt/Ross Clark

Spoiler for Music:
"Synfidelity" - Dertt/Ross Clark (Title screen)
"Buying New Soul" - Porcupine Tree
All music by me is free to use in your own projects, by the way, as long as it's credited to me.

Support my game plz.

Seem interesting to anyone?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:19:24 PM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
It sounds interesting. I like the storyline.

Maps could be better I think. The indoor maps seem a bit empty, and the use of posts is kind of weird. Normally, posts only exist where the wall ends, not every three tiles. The shop, for instance, looks particularly bare, and the library seems like it is also set up in a weird way. Also, in the cave, the walls are a little too square in my opinion. I also dislike the hue changes on the battlers, as it gives your character strange skin colours. It might be worth it to invest the time to edit those battlers for better skin color. All that aside, I like the idea behind the game and I hope to see good things from this project. Good luck.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
It sounds interesting. I like the storyline.

Maps could be better I think. The indoor maps seem a bit empty, and the use of posts is kind of weird. Normally, posts only exist where the wall ends, not every three tiles. The shop, for instance, looks particularly bare, and the library seems like it is also set up in a weird way. Also, in the cave, the walls are a little too square in my opinion. I also dislike the hue changes on the battlers, as it gives your character strange skin colours. It might be worth it to invest the time to edit those battlers for better skin color. All that aside, I like the idea behind the game and I hope to see good things from this project. Good luck.

Yeah. I just went immediately into this project when I first acquired RMXP, and I didn't have much of a grasp on anything for quite some time. Then, somewhere along the line, I made some dumb decision to allow the outside walls of buildings be seen when one was in a building... then, for more reasons unknown to me, I just put each little section of wall next to the other, thus explaining the posts. I'm re-mapping a large percent of the locations in the demo.
I'm also going to fix the skintones.

It's cool that some aspect of it interested you, at least.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Your maps are empty.

But overall, the story sounds intriguing.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio

I'm improving a lot of the maps for the demo release. I've gotten somewhat better at making them... except inside maps  :(

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
New screenshots, showing some new features.

Spoiler for:

This couple's taste in art is way ahead of its time.

More to come. Demo will probably be posted Saturday night at the latest.

[edited for typo]

Is it just me, or is there crazy lack of support for this/interested parties?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 11:44:32 PM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Sorry lol.

Still i like this so far, and the new screenshots are amazing.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Project of the Month winner for October 2008
lol arseface :lol:
Good Luck with the game.
Be kind, everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Sorry lol.

Still i like this so far, and the new screenshots are amazing.

Amazing? lol Thanks.

And yeah, after you choose that it stays like this for the rest of the game:

Please Sign In

ARSEFACE       

This demo will be LARGE, by the way, with over two hours of gameplay adding up to what is essentially the first chapter of the game [out of ten].
Five towns, several major characters, and hundreds of people to talk to, items to find, areas to explore, and scattered weird little interactive bits and objects.
Plus a comprehensive look into the political relations between Canerian countries.

Hmmm... still lacking interest in comparison to other titles here. Can anyone suggest a gimmick? lol
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 09:03:08 PM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
I don't know what I'm going to use this for.

Spoiler for:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:19:25 AM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
It looks like something you would use either in chapters (Example: Chapter 1) or for like starting the journey or after a serious boss fight.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
I think I'll make a few pictures of every actor for when I do my psychoanalytic cutscenes. (think the later episodes of Evangelion)

...wow, all this work for something only four people have paid any attention to... :-\
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 10:29:55 PM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Okay, so the demo is to be uploaded in just a couple of hours. BE EXCITED.
OR DIE.
Spoiler for:
double posts make you cool

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
I'll make sure to get the Demo, it better be worth my excitement or die!!!  ;8

Remember Ruzu is watching ^^

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Alright, it's been uploaded. It's probably really buggy, just as a forewarning. Also, I apologise for the size of the file--I have several mp3s of 192+kbps, two of which are over ten minutes in length. The final size of the game is only going to come in around 130 mb, so don't fsck out about that just yet.
Now please, play, comment, report bugs, have fun and whatnot.
I'M LOOKING AT YOU. *moves arm around as if he's pointing at every member of a large crowd*.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 09:58:53 PM by Dertt »

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
* Nouman moves to main section.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Well, downloaded the Demo the story flow in the beginning is nice. But your first mapping still needs to be filled a bit add some different dirt and flowers/plants etc. It'll help with that, also check the fog system for after he trys to go past the first movable(where we control clark) area. Got a certain fog is needed. But still it's pretty good :D

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
flowers/plants etc. It'll help with that, also check the fog system for after he trys to go past the first movable(where we control clark) area. Got a certain fog is needed.

What do you mean by that? And how far along are you?

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
You get an error saying it can't bring up a certain fog system, also i was at the beginning as soon as you control clark  in the first forest. Right after all the maps and talking or more specific, right when you take control of clark and go all the way to the top.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Alright, you should be able to play it now.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Before i start downloading again, is it still the same size or were you able to shrink it down?

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
It's the same size. Sorry.  ;9

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Sorry for forgetting to download this, as soon as i get on my XP computer.

--Edit--

Well, theres a error on the map with Kyle, as soon as you try to leave it "Grass" something is missing.

Not to offend you in anyway, but have you test played your game to check for errors?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 02:11:20 AM by Ruzu »

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Grass?
wtf
Could you tell me exactly what it says?

I've test played it every time I've made a minute change.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 02:35:28 AM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Lol, i would but err i already deleted it.

I'm guessing its a fog kind of thing, its just like the last error.

I would download again but i have bigger game file saved on my computer at the moment.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Ooooh. It's an autotile. This sucks, now I have to go through that whole thing again, lol.
I don't get these errors when I test play it, it's that I'm forgetting which files I need to put in the game folder for what I'm uploading.

Rep:
Level 86
Give him one more.
ooooooo I found the thread! I took a look at the screenshots, and I came across that map you have! That looks awesome and inspiring to me, did you make it yourself? Or did you use a program? Any case, I really would like to know lol! It looks really neat and I like the story!
The boys are going out for hookers and ice cream. Is that something you would be interested in?

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Alright you guys, tonight/tomorrow morning there will be a sneak peek/teaser trailer of this game. It's pretty awesome if I do say so myself.
Clark wakes up in a prison cell to a disembodied voice calling his name...

You cannot know everything. Or can you?
Clericus

Coming some time this year.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Alright a teaser trailer :P

Really looking forward to it. Good Luck, i'm rooting for ya.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
It's uploaded, it's only 20something mb, and it WORKS. I manually put each resource into its respective folder for this.
Anyway, enjoy. I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
That was like reading another book, really nice there.

I really can't complain about anything either, it was nice, the story flowed out at a nice and smooth rate.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Alright, to those who are interested, a second trailer will appear around the end of next week. This is going to be a more orthodox trailer, with a little narrative about the plot and a brief introduction to our two main heroes and our initial villain.
I say initial villain because... well, let's say the final game will hold an interesting surprise...

Special thanks to Zylos for the encouraging message, and of course Ruzu, for the positive feedback.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:42:40 AM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 86
Om Nom Nom
I COULD BE YOUR MAPPER!!! reply me if you want to..

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
I'd have to see some of your work first.

Rep:
Level 86
Om Nom Nom
HERE ITS IS!
Spoiler for Cobalt Mountains:
HERE IS ANOTHER:
Spoiler for Floralia Town:
DOES IT LOOK GOOD?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 07:02:09 AM by Acezon »

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Those are some pretty nice maps Acezon. Also i can't wait to see your next trailer Dertt.

Rep:
Level 86
Om Nom Nom
Hey, Dertt, what now? Will you accept me?

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Alright, it's a week later than I said it would be, but I've UPLOADED THE TRAILER.
THE TRAILER IS NOW ONLINE.
I want some feedback on this, too... from more than one person (no offense, Ruzu  ;8 )

Here's the link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A5DI6BU0
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:14:50 AM by Dertt »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
"Unable to find file Audio/BGM/01 Synfidelity"

Methinks you forgot something!  :D

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
OH FUCK

Here, just put this in the BGM folder:

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
"Unable to find file Graphics/Fog/Bedroom"

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Son of a BITCH

I'll just re-upload the whole thing if you can wait five to ten minutes.

...Wait a second, the map that fog is on isn't even in the trailer.
WTF

Well, test playing it again, there was a sprite missing anyway... It's uploading. I'll post again when it finishes
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:11:32 AM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
OKAY A WORKING TRAILER IS ONLINE.

I'm going to update the other post, and the original post.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A5DI6BU0

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Much better! Now then...

I thought it was an excellent trailer! What I think impressed me the most was the overall lighting of your game. Few are the games that actually do that. Good work so far, Dertt!

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Thank you! Have you watched the teaser? It's pretty good.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Would you please upload somewhere other than Megaupload?  Please?  I cannot download from there.  (I've actually tried the Firefox plugins.)

Sorry.  :/

Rep:
Level 86
Looks cool keep it up Dertt.
Monkeys work better than zombies.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Thanks.

I updated the screenshots in the first post, just to show that this game's visuals are rather sexy now, and a far cry from the shower'a'shite they once were.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
The new screen shots are rather nice, but i question to know why the Young Noble Sprite is selling drinks. lol oh well it could be used for other things so just ignore everything behind the Nice.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
The new screen shots are rather nice, but i question to know why the Young Noble Sprite is selling drinks.

And the nun is running the BlackJack table.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
o_o ooooookay, weird Nun lolz.

Rep:
Level 87
Code Geass = Best show EVER XD
Project of the Month winner for May 2008
ah, I likes xD

I've been wanting to comment, but I wanted to wait till I've tried something of yours first, sorry, I havn't been able to find the time yet x.x

But the new screen shots do look nice, btw, your world map is really kick ass XD

how did you get the choices to show up in a box ???

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
how did you get the choices to show up in a box ???

Ccoa's message system. It's cool that you're interested, since your own game looks brilliant.

o_o ooooookay, weird Nun lolz.

In Bearsden's mead hall a little kid is serving drinks as well, and Bearsden's BlackJack parlour is run by a little kid.
I didn't want to actually use the "bartender" sprite as a bartender for the mead hall, so I went cycling through all of my character sets until I landed on a random child. I then decided it'd be amusing if all such occupations were held by "unlikely" characters.
Then, if you think about it, in the middle ages many of these jobs (like handling drinks in a tavern or for the king's subjects) were carried out by children. 

Rep:
Level 87
so unfair...I don't use it...can't find it either, it's no longer on hbgames.org, could you link me to somewhere else I can find it? D:

Also downloading the game now ^_^

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
so unfair...I don't use it...can't find it either, it's no longer on hbgames.org, could you link me to somewhere else I can find it? D:

I'll PM it to you once I'm able to figure out what the hell happened when my laptop updated Firefox.
I'll also upload some screenshots of the menu and the new title screen.

Hope you like the trailer or whatever Clericus-related thing it is you may be downloading.

Rep:
Level 87
I jsut watched both the teaser and the trailor....

They were very good. I'm more interested in this project for sure. I got a few shivers down my spine as well, you did a good job on it. heh, not much to say but alot to say? good job, I'm going to be playing the next demo XD

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
I jsut watched both the teaser and the trailor....
I got a few shivers down my spine as well

Mind if I ask what parts induced those?
That's probably the biggest compliment this project has received.

Rep:
Level 87
the overly exaturated and dramatic booms of characters changing, the words popping up on the screen, idk, I really bought into that. It was a bit off but at the same time it was just what it needed.

They did their job well, I got to know a bit about the main character, saw him interact with the sub character, the lancer, and even a little humor with the knight thing.

The antagonists were flashed in, and it's unclear, it game me some excitement. At first when I looked at the project, the rtp and the off colors did turn me off a bit, but looking at the two trailers, this thing's really got a style of it's own.

If I had one thing I would say to improve, is probably the mapping, and change the window skin. The window skin, actually, yeah, I didn't like it at first, but in all seriousness, it really is unique. Hm...Tacky, yes, thats the word, it's superbly tacky. I bought into it, good message, good presentation, overly dramatic and so much mist on the path that it gives just the right amount of suspense and enough of a explanation that it gives interest. The tacky colors just makes is enjoyable, I enjoyed watching em'

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Haha, the colour scheme of the windowskin is meant to reflect the sky in the title graphic and game icon.

A blessing
Rep:
Level 91
<3 Back.
Wow!  Screenshots looking so much better!  <3

But I am not very fond of the gradient used for the windows.  :(

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
What's so bad about it?  ???

Rep:
Level 86
Ur awesome Dertt.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio

Rep:
Level 87
yes, lol.

You've inspired me, I wanna make a real teaser now too :tpg:

Rep:
Level 87
Oh, wow. That looks phenomenal. Maybe I should move to XP when I'm done?

Good work! ^5

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Wow, thanks you guys!

I'm going to spend the majority of Monday restructuring old maps and reworking old events, so hopefully I can have a serious demo before February lets out. I'll be sure to post some screenshots of the revised maps.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Alright, unlike the rest of these people, I'm going to be frank and give you some negative comments.

1) I've only downloaded the trailer, and I don't plan to download the teaser. I was disappointed.
2) Pace was horrible. If that was the opening scene, scrap it immediately. It moved way too fast, we don't know anything that's going on. Even games which have no huge opening scene, and just throw you in to the action, make it clear what's going on.
3) Your facesets are the worst I've ever seen. You make them so big, they make it hard to see the map, and in some cases, characters.

Overall, the thing was too fast, and not well presented. It needs to move much slower. Do some work on your cutscenes.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed you played around with some words I said, remove that quote you have in your signature, I've never said that about your game, only a screenshot.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 04:08:26 PM by Falcon »

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Okay, that was entirely negative, and failed to even offer suggestions as to how I could improve. It comes across less like criticism and more like you outlining a thesis on why my game sucks. Also, usually people have some sort of discretion or respect for the effort that went into the product, and briefly discuss some aspect that they enjoyed.

2) Pace was horrible. If that was the opening scene, scrap it immediately. It moved way too fast, we don't know anything that's going on. Even games which have no huge opening scene, and just throw you in to the action, make it clear what's going on.

If you're talking about the part where the messenger hops up and says "I'm going to tell you about stuff," there is no context to that, it's just part of an intro sequence that explains the story. It's not in the story itself.
In the actual game, immediately after "You need a cause to serve," a series of pictures is shown, at a moderate pace, along with a narrative about the story.
It's just like how in some games, the backstory will be related to the player somehow, and then the real opening scene starts.
I have a sort of suspicion that you may have actually downloaded the teaser, in which case, I explained the context of that earlier in this thread, and it actually takes place at the beginning of chapter two.

3) Your facesets are the worst I've ever seen. You make them so big, they make it hard to see the map, and in some cases, characters.

Save for one of those, Kieran's, I didn't create those or even really alter them except to change the colour of Clark's wardrobe and hair. Those are the size that Naramura made them; however, they could easily be resized or maybe just moved further down on the screen.
You could have simply said you felt that I should make them smaller.

Overall, the thing was too fast, and not well presented. It needs to move much slower.

Trailers are supposed to be fast-paced, with quick cuts to the next clip. I took my cue from movie trailers, which are all presented exactly like that.
The teaser, which is an actual scene from the game, moves at a fairly slow pace.

EDIT: Also, I've noticed you played around with some words I said, remove that quote you have in your signature, I've never said that about your game, only a screenshot.

Alright, I've removed it. I didn't mean to "play around" with what you said.

Rep:
Level 91
Okay, that was entirely negative, and failed to even offer suggestions as to how I could improve. It comes across less like criticism and more like you outlining a thesis on why my game sucks. Also, usually people have some sort of discretion or respect for the effort that went into the product, and briefly discuss some aspect that they enjoyed.

If you don't know what's wrong, how the fuck are you supposed to correct it? I personally didn't find much I liked in the trailer. I'm not going to lie and say I found something I didn't find. I have very high standards, unlike the rest of this forum.

Also, if you can't find out suggestions, learn basic english my friend :P . If I say the game is too fast, how do you correct it? Make the game slower.

If you're talking about the part where the messenger hops up and says "I'm going to tell you about stuff," there is no context to that, it's just part of an intro sequence that explains the story. It's not in the story itself.
In the actual game, immediately after "You need a cause to serve," a series of pictures is shown, at a moderate pace, along with a narrative about the story.
It's just like how in some games, the backstory will be related to the player somehow, and then the real opening scene starts.
I have a sort of suspicion that you may have actually downloaded the teaser, in which case, I explained the context of that earlier in this thread, and it actually takes place at the beginning of chapter two.

Unless the file named Trailer is the Teaser, then I have the Trailer.

Save for one of those, Kieran's, I didn't create those or even really alter them except to change the colour of Clark's wardrobe and hair. Those are the size that Naramura made them; however, they could easily be resized or maybe just moved further down on the screen.
You could have simply said you felt that I should make them smaller.

I don't mean resize them, I mean move them to a place where they won't get in the way.

Trailers are supposed to be fast-paced, with quick cuts to the next clip. I took my cue from movie trailers, which are all presented exactly like that.
The teaser, which is an actual scene from the game, moves at a fairly slow pace.

I can understand that, but it was way too fast, to the point it was confusing, and you couldn't understand what was going on.

Alright, I've removed it. I didn't mean to "play around" with what you said.

No worries man, I'm sure you just misunderstood. I lol'd at the new quote you have from me XD

Rep:
Level 86
Just take what he said and move on Dertt, no use to argue, I have seen what it can lead to lol.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
 :mex: k.

The pace of the trailer doesn't reflect the pace of the game, though.
The teaser sort of does, but it probably sucks, too, lol.

The thing about the faces is that they were originally right above the dialog box, but then when I put in name windows, they were moved up considerably. One of the things I was going to do before the demo release was go through and move all of them back down.
I'm also wondering whether or not I should make it so that the window appears above the head of every NPC, or if such effects should be reserved for cutscenes.

Rep:
Level 86
I personally think that they would work on cutscenes well.

Rep:
Level 91
You should remember to make the demos reflect the pace of the game, otherwise people will get the wrong impression :P

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
The demo will.
The trailer doesn't, but that's... because that's what trailers do. It's in their nature.  :P

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
*Compulsory double-post to bump topic so that passers-by can see it's been updated*
check in the first post u guyz
Also, check this out.

Edit: I just remembered, it's supposed to say "Do You Know What It Means To Die For Your Country," not "Do You Know What It's Like et al."
But I still think it looks pretty cool.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 10:59:15 PM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2014 Most Unsung Member2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
The font is a bit too hard to read on that background. Try a different colour maybe?

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
The text in the background is hard to read on the map, or the text in the foreground is hard to read atop the underlying text?

Rep:
Level 87
I think he means the "Do know know..." Part, it's just a bit hard to read, had to squint a bit though XD

Rep:
Level 86
"Transmission Booting"
 :mex:Holy Crap.
Wow.
WOW.
"End Of Transmission"

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Any chance of seeing the demo soon?

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Oh, sorry for the lack of updates, everyone. I had to postpone production for a second in lieu of schoolwork. Spring Break is now upon me, though, and production is to be resumed.
Now everyone shower me with encouragement so that I remain somewhat motivated.

Also, if anyone would like to offer suggestions regarding plot structure, character development, side quests, or minute facts on Peridani culture, please PM me asking for a more complete (ie: spoiler-laden) game bio, which I will then send to you so you may review, revise, and/or repudiate it.

k

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Double post!

Alright srsly you guys. I need comments.

Also, here are a few of the new weapons in the game:

Rep:
Level 86
Ok, my last comment was kinda random.
You're doing an awesome job on this game. Keep at it.
Maybe for a sidequest you could have:
NPC: Town Soldier (Or Something Like That)
Summary: Kill 5 Wasps.
Dialogue: Soldier: Hmph? You're \n[1], right?
                             I've heard about you from the other guards.
                             Apparently you're quite the hero. Prove it.
                Soldier: Go into the forest (or something like that) and slay 5 wasps.
                             Bring me their stings and I'll acknowledge your "heroic" status.
                 Show Choices:
                    Accept Quest
                        Soldier: Great, then! Off you go.
                    Decline Quest
                         Soldier: Yeah, I thought so.

Quest Reward: X exp.
                         X gold.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Thanks.
I just put a soldier in the first town who issues a challenge to kill five wasps.
That's kind of short and simplistic, though. Is there anything relatively big that you'd like to do?

Anyway, there's now a section of the game where you play as Kieran,

and I've implemented a new character, Alessa, who is of a new class called Acolyte. Acolytes can use both swords and spears, and her battler actually changes according to which of the two you have equpped:

There's a new item obtainable through side quests called "Asp's Nectar," a very potent liquor. When you drink it, the screen becomes foggy, your status changes to "Drunk," and there are a number of humourous side effects. For example, when the player's status is "Drunk," an old man may appear as a young woman, and what is normally a dog appears as Arshes, but still only barks when you interact with it.
There's also a Sobering Mixture, in case you're between towns or something and have no bed where you can sleep it off.

I'm currently re-mapping every town and moving every face graphic down closer to the dialog box, in addition to regular mapping, writing, and eventing, but if the demo's not out by the beginning of may, you can literally sue me.

And sewiously, our hero's path is currently kind of discombobulated; I've only worked out the major plot points with no real idea of how the journey itself should go. You see, this is my first time making a game, and as such, I'm not really sure how to write it. I'm writing it like a novel, developing the story as a series of major events, whereas videogames are all about the paths between the plot points.

Thanks once again to everyone who bothers to check this thread when it's updated.

Rep:
Level 86
Awesome Acolyte Sprites :D
Nothing major to add... Just the little side quest.
I Lurv Teh Drunk Idea :3

Rep:
Level 87
wow, that is a VERY nicely organized sheet of weapons, good job. And a great change of Avi XD

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Thanks.
And yeah, but every time I look at it, I can almost hear Angie yelling at me.

I'm thinking about actually making Clericus more story-based than gameplay-based. What do people think of that idea?

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Nice stuff Dertt, since I like lot of things about this project i'll add one to my siggy.

Thanks.
And yeah, but every time I look at it, I can almost hear Angie yelling at me.

I'm thinking about actually making Clericus more story-based than gameplay-based. What do people think of that idea?

I think it's a good idea, also different creation style for different people. If it works for you go for it.
Also I like the weapon sheet it's really cool.

Rep:
Level 87
The one who shot the sheriff AND the deputy!
Project of the Month winner for May 2008Project of the Month winner for June 2008
Just watched the preview. It was pretty good.  :) The only thing I recommend is to work on mapping. But you have already stated that you're doing that. Haha.

Another thing you might want to do (It's not important though. XD) is make the faceset backgrounds transparent, or add some kind of frame around them.

Other than that, it was great. I really like your story. I'll add one of your support bars to my sig. :)
I SUPPORT:

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Thank you! Finally... you're awesome.

Which maps seemed like they needed help?

Rep:
Level 87
The one who shot the sheriff AND the deputy!
Project of the Month winner for May 2008Project of the Month winner for June 2008
I'd say probably the battle field and that cave with the mage guy and the darkness animation. The battle field really only needs some more stuff around like rocks, dirt, maybe some plants.
I SUPPORT:

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Ah, alright. Those two maps will actually appear in the demo, but I was focusing my remapping on towns and building interiors, so I guess I'll give some attention to caves, battlefields, and the like.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Updated logo:

Rep:
Level 97
The logo looks really good.

Rep:
Level 87
niiice, good job, that looks great XD

Rep:
Level 86
This part of me, I choose not to see.
That logo looks both bogus and excellent ;)

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
Oh wow, did you make the logo yourself?

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Yes indeed I did.

As perhaps one or less of you may know, Clericus is currently on hold because of a problem RMXP is having reading certain project data. If anyone knows a way to deal with such a problem, please, please, please visit my thread in the RMXP Troubleshooting section.
...please?

That is all for now.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
It's ALIVE!

"Odd that something so deep in a forest would have writing on it..."

Rep:
Level 86
Excellent mapping!
Looks interesting. Did you make your own message system?

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
No, that's Ccoa's UMS. I just developed my own system of displaying face graphics.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
oh hay, wait, what's with the whole 'badass awesome quest' bit eh?

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
oh hay, wait, what's with the whole 'badass awesome quest' bit eh?

EVERYONE ELSE IS DOING IT BECAUSE IT'S BADASS AND AWESOME

:V

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:12:56 PM by Dertt »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
that's BAG's thing >:(

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
It appeared in the RMXP projects forum several times before the current guilds even formed.  >:(

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
It appeared once on Falcon and Modern's game, and they're both in BAG >:(

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
It appeared once on Falcon and Modern's game, and they're both in BAG >:(

Twice. Once on Falcon and Modern's game, and once on Falcon and Modern's joke game.

Edit: BUT IT DOESN'T REALLY MATTER. WHY DON'T WE TALK ABOUT MY GAME?
A big update is coming soon.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
double toast!

Topic updated.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Somebody reaffirm that I'm making this for a reason.

NOW OR TASTE COLD STEEL.

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!
This is interesting. ;8
New screenshots are really pleasing to the eyes, especially those lighting effects. Real nice.

Don't give up, and continue.

Rep:
Level 85
Falcon strikes like a Hero.
Awesome! How did you make that game?
Do u hav a yahoo messenger? pm me
Falcon strikes like a Hero.
http://www.grinix-inc.co.nr/

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Dertt, give me one good reason why I shouldn't kick your butt?  :tpg: Because that battler looks Hot!!!!!

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Dertt, give me one good reason why I shouldn't kick your butt? 

...because I wuv you?

Edit: This post will eventually contain something relevant.

K. I've done a series of preliminary sketches for new character art which will be used during certain cutscenes.

I'll give you a preview of Clark:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 04:30:32 PM by Dertt »

Rep:
Level 89
2012 Best RPG Maker User (Story)Project of the Month winner for May 2007Project of the Month winner for July 20082011 Best RPG Maker User (Story)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)2011 Project of the Year
I like the style of that. :) Not generic and has a nice feel to it!

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Thanks, Reives.

Well, I've finished the outline and begun colouring it.

I started on my desktop computer, which has different monitor settings than my laptop, which is what I'm posting from, so looking at it now, something sems kind of off about the colour. Tell me if it looks strange to you.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
>_>

[shameless plea for support and feedback]

Shadow Knight
Rep:
Level 91
Ruin that brick wall!

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
Face is turning out great, Hair, well Gotta wait for the final product.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I don't usually comment on games but I have to say the screenshots of the church, swamp and prison are P-I-M-P.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Bump.

I've gotten back to working on the game. Chapter One should be out before the end of February!