RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Racist?

Rep:
Level 86
 :mex:

I don't know about you people but i find this a little racist against Mexicans
because it could stereotype as Mexicans being beaners with sombreros and their mustache,
and if you put it, it says MEX on it.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
But that's exactly what they are
:taco: :taco: :taco:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
:mex:

I don't know about you people but i find this a little racist against Mexicans
because it could stereotype as Mexicans being beaners with sombreros and their mustache,
and if you put it, it says MEX on it.

Do you have a point?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Lets change it to: "Orange Bean with sombrero and a mustache"
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 08:37:56 PM by Nouman »
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 86
~~~
 :bean:

Then this one could be racist against the English as to that would be common garb of the early/mid 19th century Englishman. Technically depicting women with breasts could be sexist as to not all women have breasts ect..

this is not a flame nor a challenge. All I am saying is we, as western civilization, live in a very protected environment which I do not totally agree with. In all honesty I think the beans are cute, and never had a racist thought run through my mind when I saw it. To me, it's a bean wearing a sombrero with a mustache.
The Pessimist By The Lake In The Forest

Check Out Savarast's Resource Page, I do Requests

Rep:
Level 86
Unquestionable Presence
It's a sad, sad world we live in when an orange bean with a sombrero and a mustache is interpreted as being "racist."

I personally believe it all has to do with the comedy factor. Just because it's a stereotype that has been used ever since the advent of cinema doesn't mean it's racist. I mean, I could have a black guy with lips the size of Texas and the ability to jump really high and be extremely talented at rapping isn't racist, and a white guy who wears lots of gold chains around his neck, makes lots of gang signs, wears a backwards cap and is desperately trying to imitate the black guy, then's a stereotype, and a hilarious one at that. On the other hand, if I have the black guy wearing nothing but a potato sack and picking cotton out on a plantation field, and the white guy whipping him with a cat-o'-nine-tails repeatedly, then that's racist, and just not funny.

My point is, how exactly is an anthropomorphic mustachioed orange bean wearing a sombrero racist and offensive towards Mexicans? Is it the sombrero? Yeah, sombreros are a Mexican invention, and I'm sure millions of them wear sombreros every day. The mustache? There are no laws or regulations against facial hair. The beady black eyes? Beady black eyes are a common trait among all humans, not just those of Mexican descent.

In addition, your point that "it could stereotype Mexicans being beaners with sombreros and their mustache" is completely unaccounted for. If we look at the context of the above example, with the black guy and the white guy, we can determine that it's a stereotype, but it's a funny stereotype. You take a Mexican guy and dress him in ordinary street clothes, then it's just a Mexican guy in street clothes. Now put him in a sombrero and a mustache and have him say "qué pasa" every other sentence, then people instantly think it's funny. And if you think being funny is "racism," then I can't help you.

Rep:
Level 86
~~~
Agreed. I think Saint Arctica his the nail on the head.
The Pessimist By The Lake In The Forest

Check Out Savarast's Resource Page, I do Requests

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Odd that you chose  :mex: instead of :bb:

Also, they're beans. Nothing to get worked up over.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Lol the Mexicans need to get the hell out of my country.

AND THIS ONE IS RACIST AGAINST THE AFRICAN AMERICAN COMMUNITY niggers.
:bb:

Rep:
Level 86

lol, forget about it even though i am mexican and do find a little humor to this

and yeah youre right there just beans. :bean: :mex: :bb: :gib: :sb:

Rep:
Level 86
But that's exactly what they are

that is just racist

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Eh... better lock this since it seems to be resolved. If you have a problem with Ferenn's comment, take care of it via PMs or The Sewers. >:-)
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Just think I should say: I never intended for the Mexican Jumping Bean to be a racist icon, just a joke on the name and an addition to my Bean emoticon set. Any racist undertones applied to it are the result of user interference, for which I could not hope to be responsible.

-end statement :V