RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
CPU Speed vs Graphics Card

Rep:
Level 89
The Knight Sabers Shall hunt thine adversaries.
If i have a P2 400MHz pc and a 128 mb video card, will that prevent lag?

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
ermm let me think

processors work out things faster it is the faster things get worked out
video cards just do the graphics

and RAM(random access memory) is used to store values and stuff the more ram you have the faster your pc is in my case i have 128mb RAM which is quite slow

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour
For PRGXP, your computer will come to a crawl with that specs.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I have not investigated this matter, but I don't think RMXP utilizes hardware acceleration.

Rep:
Level 90
i say u need manly ram more ram the better and a fast cpu graphics well if u want good graphics get a good card if not well u get the idea.i used rpgxp on my old dell computer that has 64 ram and a slow graphics card and it runs at 28 fps(frams per second) and it isnt slow it didnt crawl at all :P also i use blender3d on it and nothing nothing is diffrent just how the polygons look due to the lack of strong graphics.but everything needs ram the more the better.
Yay i got a zoo sort of

Rep:
Level 90
~
If you're processor is too slow your computer can't handle much RAM.  I have a 1.3 GHz Celeron and the maximumamount of RAM my computer can take use of is 512 MBs which I have :/

Now you could have a simply old video card as long as it supports 32 bit and 1024 x 768 (or just 640 x 480 for the game)

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour
OKay okay, I thought it would :^^:

I love Firerain
Rep:
Level 97
=D
I got 512 i think or was it 256..no i got 1 128, 1 256 and graphics card with 128 which i put a week ago..finnally my 3 yr old cool spiderman(sucks) game worked.. so it turns out to me 256
Arlen is hot.

Rep:
Level 92
I wonder how some of you concludes that more RAM is needed.
I have a 256 MB video card. What does this say about my amount of RAM?
Perhaps that it is unlikely for me having below 256 MB RAM.

It's primary your motherboard that determines the amount of RAM you max can have.

Anyway if you have a lot of RAM most of it will generally sit unused  :roll:

Rep:
Level 89
The Knight Sabers Shall hunt thine adversaries.
its not the video card were talking about tho. that RAM is the system RAM. the higher it is, the more powerful applications you can open. BTW, 512 MB is not enough for video editing.

Rep:
Level 90
ram is a bunch of bull in my case i have used programs thay say it uses 300 mb of ram on bothe my desktop computer(246 ram) and my laptop(64 ram) works fine so ram really isnt anything exsept in games ..
Yay i got a zoo sort of

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
I have an Athlon on 1.86GHz and 512 RAM (384 +128), the graphic card uses 128MB of my RAM, but itself it
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 92
Quote from: loonygamer
If i have a P2 400MHz pc and a 128 mb video card, will that prevent lag?

Quote from: loonygamer
its not the video card were talking about tho. that RAM is the system RAM. the higher it is, the more powerful applications you can open. BTW, 512 MB is not enough for video editing.

You say you have a 128 MB video card. That means your video has 128 MB RAM. This not the same as system RAM.
Did you mean that you have 128 MB system RAM and a video card?

Quote from: Blizzard
The graphic cards today are much stronger than the CPUs. Keep that in mind.

That depends on the task. Remember what you wrote earlier. Graphic cards are not very good for video editing. There are better items and techniques for that. After all a quick responds time is not as important as having the overall time when compilen the movie greatly reduced.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Video editing has nearly nothing to do with the graphic card. It is the CPU, that calculates and computes the effects. I was more refering to games nowadays. In the earlier days, only CPUs had coolers, but now even graphic cards have. Also look at the their power use. Today we have graphic cards, that need 100W (!!!) and more.
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

Rep:
Level 92
Then my suspicion was right. I just wanted to be sure.