RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A question regarding pictures (and hi there~)

Rep:
Level 89
Hi fellow rpg designers and makers,
I am 'Dark Koji', a rpgmaker newbie, as you may notice. I am also an artist-in-training, so if I ever work on a rpg project, it may end up being more 'graphical' than 'fun'... :?

Anyway, pardon my ignorance if this was answered many times (I checked through the first few pages of my search, but no luck there). And I hope this is in the correct forum.

-----
Now for my question.. I was wondering if there is;
an existing way to actually hide pictures in your game folder (be it avatar, icon, animation etc) when you submit a completed-game?
Or at least hide it from the player outside-game?
-----

I asked this because I noticed published work have all resources chuck in their respective folders, and players; like me, can just easily access them and take a peek at what's inside. Curious, I know, but killer-spoilers too.

Therefore I want to know if there is a way around this. Like locking cgs, sprites and not letting players access them from outside the game. Or a complete compilation of the game that turn it into a one-piece .exe file?
I am also using Postality-Knight version, if that matters.

Thank you for reading this, and please do post, if you have any comments to this. :D
My rpg (in-making) : http://junkart.wikidot.com/

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
hmm i think it would be called a security system i would also like to see if one of these exists

Rep:
Level 89
I don't think you can hide pictures.
RPG Heights : A brand new high... http://www.forumsvibe.com/monsterdoog/

pokeball zxmOfflineMale
Astronaut Raticate Banana
Rep:
Level 92
Pineapple Line Colour
With XP, anything can be done. Someone will give you an answer.

Rep: +0/-0Level 91
There is such a thing, and Sorry I don't have a link so just do a web search.
It's called an Encrypter and there are encrypters that will excrypt your entire game including all resources and of course yes it will still play.
------------------------
The Scrolls of Time
------------------------
The final demo of the latest and
greatest action-rpg is here at last!
------------------------
Be among the first to experiance
what action battling in rm2k3
is really like!
-----------------------
Download the demo now at

http://www.bigupload.com/d=4609A0CB
------------------------

Rep:
Level 90
If you are using RPG Maker XP then when you compile your gamedisc you get the option the encrypt game data, this way only audio files are viewable.

I though someone would have been clever enough to have pointed this out already!  :whoa:

I assumed he is not using xp because he seems smart and probbably would not have asked somthing so obvious.
------------------------
The Scrolls of Time
------------------------
------------------------
is really like!
-----------------------
Download the demo now at

------------------------

Rep:
Level 89
Thank you everyone for your help! It does appear to be a very simple task in the end. Seems like I was being over-concerned about the situation...

I have not tried compiling a game yet, so I didn't know there was such an option. Thank you all once again. Problem solved~  :^^:
My rpg (in-making) : http://junkart.wikidot.com/

Ok, maybe i overestimated :roll:
------------------------
The Scrolls of Time
------------------------
------------------------
is really like!
-----------------------
Download the demo now at

------------------------

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
ahh i wouldnt know that because the pk edition hasnt translated the exe file thats created when you compile so it makes no sense

any other ways to do it

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Quote from: ahref
ahh i wouldnt know that because the pk edition hasnt translated the exe file thats created when you compile so it makes no sense

any other ways to do it

Using the encrypt option when creating a game-disk is the best, as you encrypt all your data into a singly file. It will be invisible from outsiders, while being accessible to the game.
There may be people that could decrypt your data and access it, but there's really no reason trying to hide your pictures from them unless you want to consider some kind of streaming solution from the game to a server on the net. Even then they could just leech it from the video output.

Besides the obvious way (when creating a game-disk) to select properties and check hide, but this is not a very good way as it is easily spotted.

Your could encrypt the pictures with a third-party encryption-mechanism. You would also have to implement it into your game. This would however not hide the files, just make them 'unreadable'.

If you really want to cling to stenography you could try using something called ADS (Alternate Data Streams), but I wouldn't recommend using that as some operating systems doesn't support ADS. They will just remove the data. (More exactly 'not copy the ADS with the rest')
Also ADS have some exploitation issues so I won't go into details about it.
Don't use them unless you're desperate.

While there are other ways to do it the easiest by far is just using the inbuilt encryption. (I have not covered all the ways as I don't know all of them)

Rep:
Level 90
~
All I ever found the in-game encryption did was simply add 400 kbs and when you install it theres no game.rxdata :/