RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[GM] Midis messing up...

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Rep:
Level 96
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
When I upload a Midi into GameMaker it sounds like crap...  ;9

MP3 - Media player - Sounds Good
MP3 - GameMaker  - Sounds the same

Midi - Media player - Sounds good
Midi - GameMaker  - Sounds like crap, parts are missing, and there is a ringing sound.  ;9
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:44:53 AM by modern algebra »
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
That's because, for some reason, GM uses its own Midi player, which seems to differ even in executables between computers.  I hate it...most of the MIDIs I make end up sounding like crap too, so I end up having to export to wav or mp3 if I don't wanna sit for hours tailoring the song to GM's pickyness.

MP3's and WAV's will sound the same on all machines because they're a set sound, like a recording.  Midis rely on the computer's synthesizers, which differ from machine to machine.  Which is stupid but a sad and hard fact for gamers...

Want a personal sig like this? Ask Firerain:
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,20203.0.html

Rep:
Level 96
GIAW 14: 2nd Place (Hard Mode)2013 Biggest Drama Whore2013 Zero to HeroParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Aren't WAV and MP3's way bigger... is there another format I can use?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Don't ever use wav, unless its for sound effects. MP3 is probably your best bet, but yes, your filesize will increase drastically. That's part of the reason I registered, external resource loading.

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
There really isn't any other, except ogg vorbis (.ogg), which is a "small" filesize but sometimes distorts the sounds because of the compression.  I'd stick with wav's and mp3's. 

if it's music STAY AWAY FROM WAV, the file size will kill your game.

Rep:
Level 96
I like the sound of this .ogg... how would I turn something into a .ogg?
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Rep:
Level 86
1+1=fun but 2+2 now thats just crazy!
Thats easy get a program called Audacity it allows you to change .wav and .mp3 into .ogg files also lets you record sound and import multiple sounds to make better sounding music, for example if you had all the parts of a song in single files you could combined them into one and have a great sound, and the best part is its FREE!

Edit: O and you should use .wav for sound effects and .mp3 for music, but don't use gamemakers media player for .mp3's because it increases the size of .mp3s for some reason so just use the import music feature.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 03:04:03 PM by qaz12301 »
Ah after trying to join about 50 times the It finally worked wow if only the game maker games here were less BASIC, but hey the rpg maker games are the best!

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
YES  get audacity.  best freeware audio program I have yet found.  Though to export to mp3 you need lame_enc.dll, which can be easily googled.  I've not yet needed to use .ogg (cuz most of my games get interrupted and then lost in other issues), but for your purposes, if it's a large game or lots of sounds or both, go with ogg.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
You can also snag lame from Winamp's program folder, if you have Winamp.

Rep:
Level 88
wrath of winter
I had Winamp once but that was about two years ago before our (at that time, only) internet computer crashed.  I never really liked it...some of my MIDI files kept getting messed up cuz Winamp and Windows Media Player use different synthesizer sets.

So, Banisher, any luck in the past two weeks?

Rep:
Level 96
So, Banisher, any luck in the past two weeks?

Yes.

I forgot about this topic...  ;9
Oh, and my name is Boe...  ;D
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&