RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED] Help with Change Actor Graphic - RMXP

Rep:
Level 87
I want my character to lie down when he's going to bed.  Problem is SOMETIMES when he lies down, for a brief moment it'll show a DIFFERENT image from the chosen support set, and then change to the correct one.

First I turn him to face the right way so when I change the graphic it chooses the correct image of the 16 in the support set (or it SHOULD).  I even added a wait for move's completion, which didn't help fix the problem, and finally the Change Actor Graphic.

Bed has a Player Touch event that sets a switch; the events are in an autorun common event (hoping to stop any keypresses from registering for the duration) that's conditioned by that switch.  Have tried just moving some of them to the Player Touch event but it's made no difference.

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 10:50:40 PM by shaz »
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Try this:

Set Move Route: Player
  Direction Fix ON
  Stop Animation OFF
  Move Animation OFF
  Change Graphic (appropriate image)

Rep:
Level 87
had a go, but it's still not working.  It's still flipping between them.

I have to duck out but I'll spend some more time with that when I get back.  Thanks for the help.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Post the event you have?

Rep:
Level 87
hope this is readable...

Spoiler for:

Doesn't seem to make a difference whether the event is set to autorun or parallel process.  The event on the bed simply turns the switch on.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Maybe just try to put a "Wait for Movement Completion" after the move event for good luck? :P

Rep:
Level 87
already tried that ;)  no go.  Also took the whole thing and put it on the bed event instead of as a common event and still no joy.

Rep:
Level 97
And the bed event just calls that common event?

I'll do a test soon.

Rep:
Level 87
no, the common event is either a parallel or autorun process (I tried both - I wanted autorun to take movement control away from the player - but there might be a better way to do that) that is dependent on the switch.  The bed event simply turns the switch on (and it's turned off at the end of the common event).

Rep:
Level 87
wait, you are trying to make it so when the player moves onto a bed, he lies down immediately raither than "walking" onto the bed ans then changing graphic?

hmm...sounds to me like you should just change the event a bit, and make it so the player actually pauses, then jumps into bed and goes into a sleeping position. what im saying is, is that sounds like one of those things that is really hard to imitate on a tile-based game.

Rep:
Level 87
I did add a Wait for Move's Completion but it made no difference.

I'm getting him to go into a lying position ok.  It's just that sometimes when he does, it's not the correct graphic that's chosen - it's the one below, or the one to the right.  And it stays that way for a moment, then changes to the correct image.

I assume it's got to do with the way the character is facing, or which of the 4 "walking stages" is being processed at the moment he issues the "lie down" command.  And all I can think of to have any control over that is to use the Wait for Move's Completion and to make him face in the right direction for the graphic I want, before I actually use the Change Graphic command.

Rep:
Level 87
hmmm...maybe u could edit or create a character graphic to be nothing but your chosen character sleeping? then it would have no choice.

Rep:
Level 87
I'd actually considered that, after all other attempts have failed.  But I figured SOMEWHERE out there someone must have tried to do the same thing, and possibly ran into the same problem... 

I will do that though, if I can't get it sorted - it looks terrible the way it is now.

Rep:
Level 87
Solution was to split the graphics change between the player and the actual event.

Set player graphic to none
Set event graphic to sleeping player character
do the dim screen, music, lighten screen stuff
Set the event graphic to none
Set player graphic to whatever's appropriate

Works a treat!

Thanks Zeriab for the final solution.