RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
I found a cool ABS

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
oooh!
Alien's being bad!

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 87
????
so many post in 1 day dont know why my awsome abs for 2k3 in tuts place was turned down

Rep:
Level 89
Let's attack agressively.
oooh!
Alien's being bad!

Is it a surprise to you?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
well, it doesn't help that the majority of people who customize their games to this extent look for scripts first and eventing second
(they see scripting as an easy fix, and eventing as actual work)

Is it a surprise to you?

keke

Rep:
Level 87
????
Eventing is easy a couple 100lines for a abs isnt bad then its just copy and paste=)

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
yeah I know, it's much easier than scripting
if I can avoid it, I don't script, but if it needs to be scripted, then I go for it

Rep:
Level 87
????
If you have patience you can do anything with eventing

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
yeah, but at some points, it is simpler to script it

Rep:
Level 87
????
Yeah the only thing i can script is a thing wear you bump into and event
if its variable set to 2 it battles id 2 in troops

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Almost true.

No matter how hard you try though, you won't be able to display a Hero Name that the player entered using Enter Hero Name without that one little (tiny) scriptlet.

(In an HUD for example or another event system where you cannot use Show Message command. Obviously, you can use \n[actor id] in a message box).

There are a lot of things you can do with scripts you can't do with events, but events do enough that you can easily make a great game with events alone

I like eventing more than scripting anyway. Much easier to debug.

Rep:
Level 87
????
you can make hero name display above messege when you talk make a picture with the hero name on it=)Edit:oops didnt read your post properly
if you guys dont mind can you join my forum?
awakened.freehostia.com/index
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 03:44:49 AM by BECKY1111 »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
he didn't mean that
he meant a custom name, in an HUD as he gave the example

not over a message

Rep:
Level 87
????
Make hud by events=) oh yeah from enter name input  :P

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
yeah the HUD can be done, but the custom name can't be displayed on the HUD with only events

Rep:
Level 87
????
i heard some guy say you cant do damage display by events (for event abs)
Thats nonsence!!just make an animation with numbers =)

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
yeah, damage display is easy. Just split the variable and use show picture. To make it fancy, You can make it float upwards with move picture.

Some things are impossible, like modifying the major features like message display (i.e. letter-by-letter systems, AMSes, etc...) and some things are incredibly tedious, but you can do most things with events. It's just often easier with scripts.

Rep:
Level 89
i heard some guy say you cant do damage display by events (for event abs)
Thats nonsence!!just make an animation with numbers =)

making a HUD system on event is easy....just use pic and variable

Rep:
Level 97
yes, it is very easy, but my point was that if you allow the player to choose the name, it would not be possible to display the name the player chose. Well, it would be, but even if you limited character input to 6 letters, it would be like 2000 conditional branches to check every possible combination of all possible letters.

Rep: +0/-0Level 88
Now, im not sure but couldn't you use the end event processing command to kill the monster unless you wanted it hidden, but personally i dont like to use too many switches
Current project. GAIA
http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,19136.msg240888.html#msg240888
Overall    05.00%
Graphics 01.0%
Music      00.05%
Story      15.00%
Gmeplay 02.00%
JOIN!!

Rep:
Level 87
????
im buying a translater so i can translate the spanish
theres a tutorial on it.. An its not swicths its self switchs

Rep:
Level 89
it uses self swiches and variable.....but the tutorial really helps you on doing this ABS so you can do it how you want...

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
If this can be converted---into english

Rep:
Level 89
i just need to know the excat language (this is spanish but from another place) so i can translated

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
Yeah, I tried to use Babelfish, but it didn't do it probperly!!

Rep:
Level 87
????
i tried that to  ???