RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[REQUEST] Dungeon tutorial

Rep:
Level 89
OK i used the search button, but i didnt find a dungeon tutorial for a large scale dungeon, if someone could perhaps make one or send me a link to one i would be very greatful, thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 08:50:56 PM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 87
I'd really like to see this too - I'll have a need for a dungeon soon.
Always remember you're unique.
Just like everybody else.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Have you seen the one for a small dungeon? If not, go to the tutorial index. If not, just repeat that all throughout the map.

Rep:
Level 87
I don't see it in the tutorial index.  There's one topic there started by Darklord, but he's removed the tute.  Am I searching for the word dungeon?  I must be blind - you don't happen to have a link, do you?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Lol nope. I suggest you play around with the tileset and work it just like all other maps you may make. Start with the outline (the autotile that makes the space) and then add walls where necessary. If your thought processing works like that, you can just make one room and then add on hallways and more rooms. If not, just draw a sample on paint and plan things out. Then just add some of the events you may put and some decorative stuff. :P

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Dang, moo beat me to it. But all of that is very helpful information

Something else to think a little about what the dungeon is like. Narrow or Wide? Rooms or Halls?

And when you think you have enough scenery, you don't, just find some more places to put things.

Rep:
Level 87
I actually found a demo someone had done with a dungeon - it was showing how to have "random" rooms - leaving room 1 through the far door could send you to any one of 6 other rooms.  Nice demo, and I'll be using the idea.  I'd make my dungeon look a little different, but it's given me a good example to start with.

Don't have the link handy now, but I think it was in the Tutorial Database.

Communication begins with understanding
Rep:
Level 89
Project of the Month winner for October 2007
I have a link. It's a link to my tutorial, on this site :=:

http://rmrk.net/index.php/topic,18735.0.html

With this, you can make a big cave map, and small cave maps.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
I actually found a demo someone had done with a dungeon - it was showing how to have "random" rooms - leaving room 1 through the far door could send you to any one of 6 other rooms.  Nice demo, and I'll be using the idea.  I'd make my dungeon look a little different, but it's given me a good example to start with.

Don't have the link handy now, but I think it was in the Tutorial Database.

WWOOOOO, I think that was mine.
Also, you don't HAVE to limit yourself to six rooms, you could have ten, or TWENTY

Rep:
Level 87
yeah - I'm thinking I'll track what rooms have been visited too, so there's no chance that you'll run into the same room twice on a single trip.  I believe with yours it's possible, though very unlikely, that you COULD get the same room 3 times in a row (it's just a random number between 1 & 6 - doesn't check to see if that number has already been used)

Black Shadow, I've seen your tute and learned a few good points from it too, but the one I was referring to was actually a dungeon map, not a cave, and was actually an RMXP project to download and pull to pieces (which of course I did ;))

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Cave, dungeon map, the concept should be the same. Actually, the concept should be the same for every single tileset you come across. That's how people make tutorials and are able to make nice looking maps without the use of tutorials and with non-RTP sets.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
As for not running into a room two time in a row, just make sure the random room number does not include the room you are in, as for not ever running into that room AGAIN, that's tough, it would either require a script alot of extra switchs.

Rep:
Level 87
No, I did it.  Used 11 rooms, just popped each room number into an array (script event) as it was selected and checked each time a new random number came up to see if that room has been visited (is in the array).  On the way back through, removed the rooms from the array so if you turn around and head in again you can revisit them, not necessarily in the same order as before. 

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
My suggestion..
Use small areas maybe some rooms in between and.. allot of different ways you can go on :D

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Wow, you PIMPED MY TUTORIAL, you deserve rep+

Rep:
Level 87
lol thanks (for the rep) - not every day someone calls me a pimp...

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
I don't quite understand what you did though, send me a PM of a screenshot, K THX.

Rep:
Level 87
sending you a link to the project.  I'm still fumbling when it comes to attaching screenies & files to PMs!