RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RESOLVED] ATI problem round 2 *ding* *ding* *ding*

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Okay guys, I have searched all over the internet and you are my last hope. :'(

My brother's ATI RADEON 8500 seems to freeze whenever it is drawing 3D models (running games) of any kind and these are the things I know isn't the problem.

• Temperature - If I make it any more cooler it would give you frostbite
  • RAM - 640MB of RAM =/
  • Card fault - I just know it isn't because it was working fine weeks ago and I have not made any hardware changes
So guys, can any of you help me with this really annoying fault?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:04:41 PM by Zeriab »

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
Sounds like a driver/kernel issue. I recommend upgrading to the newest released driver. If you are still having the same trouble try downgrading to a more stable version.

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
The card and drivers are technically stable, as all unstable elements (to my knowledge) have been removed. Thanks for trying to help though.

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Bump.....

It also started when I added a PCI LAN card in it (because the board didn't have a LAN connection), I also noticed in the BIOS there is something called "Voltage Spread Spectrum" which is set to 5.0 and has other choices such as 7.5. This also made me think about the problems other people are the internet has had, saying that it could be the voltage.

Shall I take off the PCI LAN card to check if that makes it stable or increase the spread spectrum?

Rep:
Level 92
The Return of Mandy
On second thought I'm thinking this is a power supply issue. Open up your box and take a look at your power supply. Read me off the voltage in watts. This would make sense considering you installed a new PCI card which is drawing more power from your PSU so when you try and play a graphicly intensive game your power supply can't give power to the graphics card causing it to freeze.

Let me know on your wattage.

Where there are no gold stars, demerits, or infractions. <3

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Found out the problem, the CPU was clocking WAY above it's normal speed. Thanks anyway!