RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Web Design.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
xD yeah I figured.  ;D

anyways. I got (for the most part one problem left in layout) both the IE and FF to look pretty good. problem is I can't get them both to look good at the same time =/
there is a :

Code: [Select]
margin-top: 183px;

for the div content. now in FF it looks great, everything lined up and such:(the gray box is a flash vid don't think it's a mess up xD )
Spoiler for:

...in IE not so great, the "main" div, the one with the text looks like this:
Spoiler for:

now, when I remove:
margin-top: 183px;

here is FF: (messed up)
Spoiler for:

Here is IE: (perfect)
Spoiler for:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:55:48 PM by Nouman »
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
oh dear this is the part i hate about web design everything is interpreted differently :( im no good with making websites work in all browsers yet i havent even opened mine in IE yet.

i will have a look though

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
well you would think the easy way since its one problem in the CSS sheet making the difference, to have IE open it's own style sheet, and in this one the margin-top is removed....I tried that, and IE didn't read the one specified for IE, instead reading the normal one.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
thanks ahref, but I figured this problem out as well.

neat little hack for hiding the code to IE so no need on another css sheet

http://www.webcredible.co.uk/user-friendly-resources/css/hacks-browser-detection.shtml

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
alright next task (or a previous one) the search bar.

I figured it would be best to explain this project to you guys so you get a better understanding.
I'm making a site for the county I live in. Full 360 information on the site about the county. This place is the fastest growing in southern cal.

- Offers Every business it's own page on the site to do :
  - List product sections (electronics...)
  - Description of business
  - Picture
  - Contact info including an address linked to Google map's with pre-filled end location.
  - Special deals, like a sale flyer on the site and such.
  - Jobs needed. this is huge because their is already a site doing this in my county called SCV jobs but they freaking charge 300+ a month!!!!!! I would offer all the stuff listed for 50$ a month or less. (if I actually decide to make this site more then a learning project)

site has:
-Tourist Info
-shopping info
- Jobs section
- business ad's (not like OMG THEIR EVERYWHERE, but instead a "spotlight" section)
- maybe online resumes
-hopefully special coupons to attract people to the site and get discounts on stores listed with the site.

so It is a pretty LARGE site with ton's of categories and such. I was looking around and started seeing "content managers" would I need one? or are they not needed?

so I need a Search bar for now.

~ thanks for reading, if you have ideas and such just reply I'm open to anything :D

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Content Management System, more often abbreviated to CMS. The current top dog is kinda of a draw between Joomla and Drupal.

They're basically site systems that run entirely online. There's no making pages on your PC and then uploading, you write and (to some extent) design / post stuff directly online.

I used to run Joomla for my own site, though switched to just writing it myself mainly for practise, but also cause it seemed kind of cumbersome for a site as simple-ish as mine.
bringing sexy back

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
there are some great simple CMSs around that are designed for smaller websites i used to use one i suggest you avoide though (phpcomasy- full of security holes[most of which i fixed for the devloper bu t she ignored]). I began to recode mine too after silver starting doings his :P. My old one used mysql aswell which was a real pickle when trying to backup

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
alright been trying to get the problem silverline pointed out, but I keep failing at my attempts. If anyone can take a min (or how ever long it would take someone who knows this stuff) to look and fix what I am doing wrong. I do have a problem specifically as well.

I know that I really need this one to be answered since I will be using the same teqnique for building websites with that sort of layour.
(content on right, navigation on right, header and footer)

the one specific problem is :

only in IE does it not line up. :/

if yuo are wondering what the
html>body #leftside

is, it makes that info only for FF, the ones without it are for ie and ff both, but if it has one div with that in front and another w/o it it means the one with it is for FF and the one w/o is for IE.

Thanks to anyone that helps. :D

« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 04:10:45 PM by Nouman »

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
well, 0 downloads xD
anyways just posting to say I got it to work :D
....had to re-do all of the code xD but it works :D

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Personally I'd take time to learn what you're working with until you're comfortable before making stuff for other people.

Even if that just means you're only making simple stuff for others, at least it will work ok =)
bringing sexy back

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
 :) that's what I'm doing xD
(except that oak hill one I used frames on  ::) )
the one I've been making and asking for help on is a fake site to get me started. I am also working on a fake flower shop site.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
 :)
Another question xD

How can I make a comment page.
what I mean is like on crankeye.com you see the news, then see the # of comments left and then you can visit the comment page. I want all of that good stuff, but + a leave comment box. How would I go about doing this.

Thanks.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
do you mean a news system or a guestbook. eitherway PHP is once again your best option

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
ok lets say I post a new's bullet.

TITLE
BLAH BLAH
                   comments (2) Date: Blah

so when they click comments it goes to a page with only the one news item with the two comments and at the bottom a input form. with:
Name:
Email:
COmment:

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
news system :) id recomend http://cutephp.com/ if you dont want to write your own if you do then try a google search for " simple news system php"

:)

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
thanks much :D
i'm going to try and do it myself (since most seem to use msqldatabase, and I have never touched one I should try first.) but if I fail I'll use cutephp :D

Rep:
Level 102
On slyph I use this: http://winged.info/

It supports comments, though I disabled them.

For This, it's actually done using special features built into SMF.
bringing sexy back

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
:D
sweet. I'll that one as well.

here's the mock up for Jalksons site w/o any coding to the news section in the center. It's all coded except that, the comment thingy is fake to xD it was just a design for it all.
but now I'll try and add one of these and see which works best.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I can't wait to see the comments work.  ;D

Rep:
Level 102
Oh right, if you're making it for jalkson then the best option would be to use his install of SMF.

Before anything else in the pages (you'll have to use PHP), include the "SSI.php" file from SMF's directory. Then when you want news to appear, just do this:

ssi_boardNews(84, 10);

The first number (84 in that) is the board ID you want to pull news from, and the second (10) is how many posts to pull.

Here's the source code of this thing. A little crowded but you can spot me doing it in there =)
bringing sexy back

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
woah.
I'll attempt that one as well. But i'm going to check with jalkson if he want's it this way, or the normal news post and reply on site way.

again (lost count?) Thanks tons.

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
i now use a blog for news :) it seems to make more sense well in a strange way 

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Alright I used one I found on google instead.

Here is the link to progress on the system:

http://www.rmrevolution.trap17.com/home.php

so far the only current problem is i'm trying to display the news item when you click comment, and I don't know how to make it show only the selected news item. But that's not anything I can ask here since I am using a totally different script.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Hey silver is it possible to show only a certain item to the admin's / mod?
I know you gave me the code and it works great to restrict the whole page, but what I mean is showing the whole main page to everyone but:

Home
Downloads
Links
Contact
(Hidden to normal users) Admin (only seen by the same people we had set up last time)

if ($context['user']['is_admin'] or $context['user']['id'] == 2) {

I tried using that over a certain area and got errors every time, so I am asking if it's possible or not?

Thanks.

Rep:
Level 102
You have to think about the order of your scripts and where stuff gets included.

It's no use checking if somebody is an admin or whatever, if at that point in the script you haven't yet included the SSI file, since the script won't have access to all that info yet. The very first thing you should do is always include the SSI file. With my larger sites (not just a giant one script thing like that crankeye thing) I use a common settings file (that would contain the SSI file also), that's included on every page.

Also going off that code you showed me earlier in IRC, you don't seem too familiar with some of the basic PHP stuff (multiple nested <?php's and ?>, which would stop anything working). Using an editor (I use Notepad++) helps you keep track of stuff like that (what language you're writing in, nice syntax highlighting, what brackets (if any =o) you're in and last of all wether or not you're inside PHP tags.

I think that's about as much as I can say since you didn't paste what the error was =p
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 06:19:34 AM by Roph »
bringing sexy back