RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Gah! I hate writer's block.

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Has anyone else ran into writers block when doing a game? I would assume most people write the storyline down first. But I do things a little weird. I get a general idea of where a iwant to go and I just flow with my ideas while making a game. Like that 'stream of conscousness' writing style.

So back to my point what do you guys do to relieve writers block. Soul refrain 3 is the first time I've run into it with a game. Any suggestions? I made some progress on the game yesterday. But I need to fill in about an hour and a half's worth of storyline.... *Grovels* Help me *grovels*

Rep:
Level 91
well everyone got their own ways
my way to step out of the block is to simply stop thinking about it..
play a game... do something with your friends.. see a movie.. watch tv... sleep..
it will be gone at some point ~_~

sometimes stories just get stuck, no matter what you do it becomes stupid, in that case i usually erase about 10% of what i did so far and rebuild the story so it won't get stuck
holy shit my sig was big!

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
You're right, not thinking about it works very well. I figured some stuff I can put in there while I was sitting in Prof.Westwater's class.

I don't know if it will fill up as much time as I need. But it's a start. Basically I just need enough time for lvl 10 characters to hit lvl 20. Which should be one 1 1/2 hours. The Soul refrain series having short games is what I like about the series, I don't have to stress too much on making a 40 hour epic.

Rep:
Level 89
Waah
Sometimes I write a story to work after and throw up some messy drawings over the areas/maps,
Sometimes I just work on what pops up in my head.
Though I haven't had a writers block yet.

Or well, maybe one, if a 2 mins block counts.

Rep:
Level 89
When that happens, I just take a break from it. Do all your normal things outside RPG Maker XP, and bring a pad of paper and pencil with you around, or whatever.

Then your mind will just jog an idea and you can write it down. Or better yet, look through myths and legends. That always helps me, and people like games based off of mythology, but with your own twisted idea of it.

I'm pretty good when it comes to storyline and characters. I can't tell you how many stories I've been writing ^.^. My friends are always asking for more. Maybe I should have a thread where I can help people to develop storylines. I put a thread for help on one of my earlier games, and found that I was better off just figuring it out myself.

MANMACHINE
Rep:
Level 91
God of Dicks

Rep:
Level 90
jsut to post try to make it like a ff8 style were u go into a diffrent charecter for no reson like a dream then after u make a short dream your writes block should be gone .
Yay i got a zoo sort of

Sailor Man
Rep:
Level 95
So about that money...
Uhhhhhh.... I finished Soul Refrain 3 about two weeks after I made that post. :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:

Just hit ADP and down load it. I might as well whore the game out. The link to ADP is in my siggy.....
 :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o:  :O_o: