RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Top 10 Video Game related soundtracks

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
10. Xenogears - Creid : I'm not a big fan of Japanese singing, so I only listen to half the tracks. But that half is amazing.
9. Final Fantasy VI - Grand Finale : Of all the FF games, VI has my favorite tunes. This was the first VG soundtrack I ever bought on ebay, and it has a special place in my heart.
8. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura - OST : A string quartet is the theme on this album, and strikes a harmonious balance between somberness and fierceness.
7. Chrono Trigger - Brink of Time : I liked this cd for a while, but I kind of got sick of it. It has great songs on it though, and the remix of Secret of Forest still gets stuck in my head.
6. Dracula - New Classic : I've been looking for symphonic Castlevania music for a while, and Halo just showed this to me. I would probably rate it higher, but I've only listened to it once so far.
5. Romancing SaGa III - Windy Tale : Kenji Ito writes some of the best string parts, and this album is perhaps the best. If it doesn't make your heart ache, then you must not have one.
4. Secret of Mana + : One track. 45 minutes. Pure awesomeness. I can listen to this over and over. If I had one complaint, it would be that there isn't a Secret of Mana + 2.
3. Chrono Cross - OST : If you've heard it, then you know why its so high up on my list. So incredible that it doesn't need an orchestration or a remix.
2. Star Ocean II - Arranged : Take ten tracks from Star Ocean II, mix in odd time signatures, add a few (long) jam sessions, and you get this album. Every song is solid, and I could listen to this forever.
1. Wild Arms Alter Code F - OST : This is a unique soundtrack, mixing fantastical themes with "wild west" style themes. It works perfectly. I just can't understand why the other Wild Arms soundtracks don't even come close.

What are yours?

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
Ouch, I actually found this rather difficult.

10. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - I'm a little reluctant to put this on the list, but I do so mostly for the fact I find myself listening to it a lot.
9. Chrono Trigger: Brink Of Time - At first I didn't really like this album, but it's been growing on me. I often find myself hearing one of these songs in my head.
8. Vagrant Story - It's unusual for a video game soundtrack to be dissonant, as most players' (or listeners') musical tastes won't enjoy it, or even be mature enough, but this does a wonderful job, and has some really beautiful moments, without having to resort to Uematsu style copy/paste melodies.
7. Final Fantasy Tactics - As with the Vagrant Story OST (along with the same composer) this one is much more grand than what Final Fantasy fans may be used to. Unfortunately, for me anyway, it always lacked something, or never built up the way I felt it should, which I know is part of dissonance, but it's dissonant almost in a bad way, otherwise it would be rated higher.
6. Mario and Zelda: Big Band Live - What could be better than classic Mario and Zelda songs being played by a band? Well, a lot actually, but that's beside the point. The album is fun, and actually very well done.
5. Final Fantasy VI OST - For someone who spends a lot of time doing arrangements of Final Fantasy music, I've come to realize two things. One, Nobuo Uematsu is severely overrated as a composer and can't arrange or select decent instrumentation to save his life, and two, this soundtrack is brilliant, and transposes very well to live orchestration.
4. Dark Wizard Symphonic Suite - The game Dark Wizard is very obscure, let alone this symphonic soundtrack. The music from the game is probably some of the best video game music that has been written, if it weren't for the fact there were only a handful of songs. These played by a small orchestra are great. Too bad I was only able to find it in low quality.
3. Dracula: New Classic - Castlevania music is great, especially the music from the NES and SNES days, and hearing it orchestrated is even better. I only wish it was COMPLETELY orchestra, and that there were a couple more songs from the SNES Castlevania 4.
2. Final Fantasy VI: Grand Finale - Like Holk, this was the first video game soundtrack I ever purchased, and it's a great one, although not as great as it could have, or should have been. The song selection was a little poor, which is mainly why it's only #2 on my list.
1. Chrono Cross OST - What really needs to be said about this? It's great, enough said. "Another World" is one of my all-time favorite video game songs. I've never really been a fan of "Radical Dreamers" though, and I actually don't just not care for it, I actually severely dislike it. Too bad the one arranged album of it isn't very good.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I love Radical Dreamers, I find it odd that you don't. I don't like Japanese singing though, so I only listen to remakes of it. I found this one, and its pretty sweet I guess.

This one appeals more to my punk roots, but the arranger can't seem to understand the concept of palm muting still taking up beats at the beginning.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 04:56:17 AM by Holkeye »

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Musician2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]2011 Funniest Member2011 Best MusicianMost entertaining member on the IRC2010 Most Missed Member
The Japanese singing is part of it. It's not because I don't understand Japanese, it's just that the vocals are usually incredibly annoying. As for non-vocal versions of it, I don't know. I just don't like it. :S
:tinysmile:

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
2. Star Ocean II - Arranged : Take ten tracks from Star Ocean II, mix in odd time signatures, add a few (long) jam sessions, and you get this album. Every song is solid, and I could listen to this forever.
<3 SO2. Its one of my favorite games.

Anyway, In terms of soundtracks I find FF9 to be one of the better ones, Castlevania games also have some good music.

<3
Rep:
Level 90
Does the Dance Dance Revolution Soundtrack count? I love the songs they cramp in there  ;8
I also love the Kingdom Hearts one...
And I also like Ragnarok Online one..

I don't have a top ten, I can't remember my fav ones right now =/

~Winged

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
4. Dark Wizard Symphonic Suite - The game Dark Wizard is very obscure, let alone this symphonic soundtrack. The music from the game is probably some of the best video game music that has been written, if it weren't for the fact there were only a handful of songs. These played by a small orchestra are great. Too bad I was only able to find it in low quality.

3. Chrono Cross - OST : If you've heard it, then you know why its so high up on my list. So incredible that it doesn't need an orchestration or a remix.

I also love the Kingdom Hearts one...

Rep:
Level 87
Suuuch a hard question, but without a doubt I would have to put Chrono Cross at number one. It is among some of the best music I've ever heard in a game.
Poke!
Can you dig it?

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I can say that Ar Tonellico has some kick-ass soundtracks. They sound techno and still really RPGish.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 94
Ferenn, I downloaded the 2 "Legend of Ar Tonelico Hymmnos Concert" albums, and I'm digging them. Good find, brother.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Wow, you found the albums? Sweet! Where? I only found partial songs at blue laguna  ;9

Ar Tonellico rocks!

Rep:
Level 87
This topic has inspired me to hunt for the OST. Having heard a lot of the tracks I can easily say this OST is very nice. Makes me want to go out and get the game, honestly. o_O
Poke!
Can you dig it?

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
Talking about Ar Tonelico? Yeah, the music rules! Recomended for everyone who makes an RPG or wants music to listen to. 'Cus the music have words. Sometimes. Definately a #1.