RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Event-based Crafting

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Hey guys. I've decided to make a crafting system. This really isn't a very hard thing to do with scripts, but I decided I'd make it out of events instead, because I am cool that way. Anyway, point is, I want to know if the interface I've chosen is any good. So, I have included a simple (incomplete) demo for you guys to try out and tell me if you like. Only the first level events are set up properly so that you can actually make stuff. The second level is set up to show what COULD be made, but none of it is set up to actually be made yet. Levels 3, 4, 5 are not set up at all yet, so don't bother looking at those.

Anyway, feedback is appreciated. Give me suggestions to make it look better, etc... You guys are the ones who will eventually be playing my game and so I want it to be nice and pretty for you. Okaaay then, screenie and the demo is attached:

EDIT:

Don't buy the bat fang necklace recipe. There is a glitch that occurs. And I forgot to allow the items for Studded Headband and Lace Shirt to be made, but everything else works fine.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:46:33 AM by modern algebra »

If Ham didn't taste like Ham, I would hope it tasted like turkey
Rep:
Level 88
>:O
I talked to the guy and bought 99 of everything.  I got this error when I went to the tailoring menu.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Yeah, don't buy the bat fang necklace recipe. I just realized it causes a glitch because I used the wrong syntax for checking how many batfangs you have

Rep:
Level 88
Okie.  Is it set up so it's a random chance of making it?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 07:50:48 AM by Jalkson »

Rep:
Level 97
Kind of, there is a levelling/ experience system to making it. I haven't gotten around to putting notification of levelling in yet. Basically though, if you are level 0 Tailor, you have 50 % chance of making Level 1 item, if you are Level 1 Tailor, 75% and if you are Level 2 or over 100%. I might make it more ccomplicated later. I'm planning on having the items you can tailor being significantly better than items you can buy, and also once you reach high enough level you can own a shop.

Anyway, what did you think of the interface, how would you improve it?

Rep:
Level 88
I like the interface, very nice.  I think it's an awesome idea also.  How long have you been working on this?

Rep:
Level 97
Just started yesterday sometime. And thank you. The hardest part is just trying to think up good items.

Rep:
Level 88
Sounds a little WoW inspired.  :P  Just started yesterday?!  *bows to eventing mastah*  I'm still barely figuring out variables.  :tpg:  I've spent all my time learning to map.

Rep:
Level 97
I've spent all my time learning to map.

A worthy pursuit and I wish you luck. Eventing is pretty easy once you get the hang of it though.

Rep:
Level 88
A worthy pursuit and I wish you luck. Eventing is pretty easy once you get the hang of it though.

Thank you.  Congrats and good luck on you're awesome crafting system, as well as you're 600th post. :p 

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
very nice system!
*moves  ;D
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Yeah... Very nice, and eventing is pretty easy because all it requires is knowledge of how all the functions work. Of course, it's different for everyone. And again, nice system. MA = good eventer :] But there are better people :P Still, he's good :D Btw, is this completely evented or with a bit of scripting? I bet it's the second one. :P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 02:40:05 PM by mastermoo420 »

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
actaully if you look only side rmrk their arent many better then MA. I think zeriab/ blizz and that would be it.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Well, Blizz is definite that he's good, so yeah. And Zeriab's teaching Advanced/Expert Eventing so he's definitely good. But maybe there are people on rmrk that don't want to display their talent? :P

Rep:
Level 97
Yeah... Very nice, and eventing is pretty easy because all it requires is knowledge of how all the functions work. Of course, it's different for everyone. And again, nice system. MA = good eventer :] But there are better people :P Still, he's good :D Btw, is this completely evented or with a bit of scripting? I bet it's the second one. :P

Completely evented. One thing I had been doing was using the script function of Conditional branch to check how many of an item you had (i.e. bat fangs, but I messed that up and so I'm just using a temporary variable now. Also, I don't think this should be in the Database since it isn't finished, but it's cool that you thought it was good enough to be.   ;D

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
modern. I'm changing the way this works if you complete the tut (and I think its good)  its getting moved in here from now on...no old tuts will because index links them.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
How'd you display the message windows without the use of scripts? o0 I am completely amazed by that. Unless I haven't been looking around enough.

Rep:
Level 97
The Show Picture Command. I just saved the background and the words as pictures, and display them that way. I'll release the tutorial on how to do it later, but I'm a little reluctant since it takes a lot of user customization and you have to be able to trace events to understand what I am doing.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I like the idea.
I think I will take a look at your system.
I'll let you know what I think when I'm done with that ^_^

Rep:
Level 97
Hrrm... the system is not well commented or organized yet. My style of eventing is to get everyhting working, then make it efficient. In any case, the demo might be encrypted so I'll post up an unencrypted version. Organizationally, it would probably help if I split up the main processing engine into separate common events, and I might do that later for the purposes of showing how it is done, but for now, it's messy.

Also, there might be some bugs resulting from the fact that I am doing the additions and stuff in my regular project and I merely transferred the relevant things to a new project for the demo. I tried to keep the DB straight by putting everything in the places they were before (which is why some of the variables I am using have 101, etc.. ID)

Anyway, for the rest of you, I've added Level 2 Items in this version. Just wondering, do you guys think it would look good to display the icons of each item in the menu as well?

EDIT: Ignore the fact that I am using so many switches for testing. I've reduced that down to 6.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 11:51:04 PM by modern algebra »

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Show Picture doesn't seem like it'll work for everything... Of course, it would work well if you were to make the place where you work a desolate place >< And yes, I'm thinking Icons will look better.

Rep:
Level 97
Show Picture doesn't seem like it'll work for everything... Of course, it would work well if you were to make the place where you work a desolate place >< And yes, I'm thinking Icons will look better.

Well, it works for everything in this event. Okay, well, one vote for icons.