RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[GM] 3D Question & RPG Genre Related Question

Rep:
Level 90
First question:

Would you play 2D game in 3D? What I mean is, if someone took the sprites from an old SNES game or the like and made them into textures and did the game in 3D. I have an idea about this and I just wanted to see what everyone thinks of that.

My second question, which is more of a help question for me, is this:

If I were making an RPG, would it be best to make my inventory/menu a separate room? I was thinking about this, and I'm not sure if I should make it a room or an object (the room sounds easier). Hey, a tutorial for RPG's in Game Maker would be very helpful (turn based/FF, Chrono, etc. style).

Note: I have Pro.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:49:04 AM by modern algebra »

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I apologize, but we have no tutorials here at this time. I suggest finding a mentor at the GM forums, as RPG's involve are quite math intensive and...last I checked...I was failing math.

Rep:
Level 90
Well, as long as it's along the lines of Algebra, I'm fine. Geometry, I failed.

Well, all I was wondering was if I should do the menu (FF style) as a different room or not. I have a basic tutorial for the 3d, but I don't know if I should do my game in 3d or not.

I'm sure I can figure out how to do a RPG engine with enough patience. I have been reading a little bit about RPG's on the Game Maker forums, but they don't really have Menu's, just inventories, which sounds more like Diablo style, rather than FF styles.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Menus are easy enough to set up when they have set options in a list. It's item menus that I can't do well. I think you'll be okay. :D