RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
One big Map / or smaller maps?

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
So, what would you guys rather see? A large town map like the one's you normally see, or something different and smaller maps that connect to make the large town, meaning 'teleporting' from map to map in one town to see it all.
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88
I like big maps that scroll because, it just seems like there is more there and it makes me want to explore more. Smaller maps seem to go by too quick. Also, big maps make the game seem to flow better.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
thanks for that. 1 point to large map. xD

any more people?

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Project of the Month winner for April 2008
1 Big Map Is Better...because I don't have to Make like 4 More Maps that I could easily Merge all 4 In One =3 Saves Time And Maps Data.

Rep:
Level 88
Keep on Baggin'
if ur just using thr rtp, one big map would be better
Some friends mend.  Some friends depend.  Some friends lend.  Some friends send.  Friend.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
alright, thanks everyone! I guess I'll make the town a big map.  :)

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Big  ;D
Just like Zelda

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
1 Big map :D
If you make small maps you get lost easy and ruin the gameplay.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I think there is something to be said for small maps, especially if there are defined regions in the town. i.e. a port, a slums, etc... It also helps give the feeling that it isn't just a big square. It also separates the workload so that it seems like you are getting more done each time you do the mapping for a region, and it's easier to look at each region individually and correct for mistakes that might be overlooked in a larger map. So I think small maps can be better, especially for large cities

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Yet one big town would be easier to keep track of for the designer and the player rather than having 20 little maps.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Hehehe at least it keeps your map count up... =P
I'd say big map any day of the week... apart from Mondays... Mondays suck  >:(
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Rep:
Level 87
Is that a pocket dimension? Indeed!
Hey, I like Mondays! Heros anf 4 eps of Enterprise on scifi channel.

Back to topic, I think it may depend on what you want to do with that part of the game whether to use a big map or small map. I'm sure there is some reason to use a few small maps rather than one big map. Can't think of many reasons right now. I suppose if a large part of a game took place in a large castle city you could make a well, large city over 4 or 6 maps making differnt districts or something. Ooh! That's good! *jots down notes*
I apologize in advance for all spelling errors...

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
Smaller Maps or so Can be used mostly for Dungeons and stuff like that =/

But Towns mostly are better the Bigger Maps....

U can make the map so it doesn't look like a Giant Square as said...Since you can edit it =/

Mostly a Small Map I see that one Kinda does more Work...but if your not the Lazy kind and like to make it looks different, then I'd say Small Maps would do to give something different.

Big Maps: For those Who are actually Lazy (Like Me ;P) And those who want to make the Town One Giant Map to Explore without teleporting.

Rep:
Level 88
Back with RMVX!
It all depends.
PROPERTY OF TEABAG!!! ALL HAIL TEABAG!!!

A man chooses,
Rep:
Level 92
a slave obeys
;P Yep.

There's just too many to put On a Single Post.

If Ham didn't taste like Ham, I would hope it tasted like turkey
Rep:
Level 88
>:O
I'd rather do one large map I think.  Just because when I play RPGs I'd rather have one large town map then having to go through a bunch of small maps.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
Plus... with smaller maps you'll have to do all the eventinmg to go from one map to another... that's really annoying... (Especially when you've just done one huge event... then you delete it by accident and completely forget about the undo button... >.<)
Sincerely,
Your conscience.

Rep:
Level 88
You make it sound like you've done it before. Me? Never.
But anyway. I make Big maps then add Small maps around/in. for example
an alley, I'd make a small map for that. Or if I want to focus in on an area Behind a House.
Just Whatever makes it look and feel good.

Rep:
Level 90
Returned from the dead.
That's the funny thing... I just did >.<
Sincerely,
Your conscience.