RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Pokemon: ONLINE

Rep: +0/-0Level 87
First of all, I want to know if it's possible to make an online game using any of the programs that people use around here (sorry if that question has been asked a lot).

IF it is... My plan is to create a game that's virtually identical to the latest Gameboy Advance pokemon games in terms of style, but I'll be designing my own towns and cities, and the game will be online. There will be many different characters to choose from, I plan on making about 100 to make sure that too many people don't pick the same ones. The game should feature all 493 Pokemon that are currently identified (with the newly added ones from Pearl and Diamond). Since RPG Maker XP provides a much higher resolution than any Pokemon games to date (besides the console ones), it will be like a higher resolution version. This means also that in battle the Pokemon will not be pixelated images, they'll be detailed PNGs like in regular RPG Maker XP battle. The characters will be in RPG Maker XP style. The game will be based on Japan, starting in a small town called Nagoya (yes it's a real place. -_-) and the elite 4 challenge area will be in Tokyo. Obviously the game cities will not look exactly (possibly not even really resemble) Nagoya or Tokyo or all the cities in between.

I'm going to need a lot of help on this if it is even possible. Please let me know if you're interested or if you're here to crush my dreams that's okay too :P .. If it can't go online, then I'll just end up making it an offline game, but I'll still be making it, so I will still need lots of help. lol .. I've used RM2k, 2k3, and XP to the extent of bleeding fingers (lol) but I'm not particularly amazing at scripting, so I'll need quite a bit of help with that (especially battle systems, making it online, etc.). I'm okay for spriting but it'd be nice to have help considering it'd get really tiring to do them all by myself.. Characters will be styled like modern Japanese people, including different styles like school clothing, and American-influenced ganguro girls. I'm having a lot of fun right now designing the different characters.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
not tht i want to piut a negitive spin on this but if the company behind pokemon finds out you launched a online version using ripped sprites they will probably try and sue your ass off  :=:

But yeah you can make online games with rmxp by using special host things (or something). Im not really to sure on it ._.

EDIT: So, your not using the tilesets. Meh, they probably will still try...

not tht i want to piut a negitive spin on this but if the company behind pokemon finds out you launched a online version using ripped sprites they will probably try and sue your ass off  :=:

But yeah you can make online games with rmxp by using special host things (or something). Im not really to sure on it ._.

EDIT: So, your not using the tilesets. Meh, they probably will still try...
Nono, I've checked out legal stuffs, I see what you're saying, but they can't do anything about it as long as I'm not trying to sell it (which I will not be doing soo @_@).

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
Well, I guess  :tpg:

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
It is possible yes it is needs alot of scripting and ALOT of experience, time and a good team to make this all.

It is possible yes it is needs alot of scripting and ALOT of experience, time and a good team to make this all.
I'm just excited to find out it's possible! I'm gonna make this happen.

Ancient Mummy
Rep:
Level 90
If you are a beginner than i have an Advice Enter something like Irockmans competition to figure out almost everything

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
If you are a beginner than i have an Advice Enter something like Irockmans competition to figure out almost everything

He has a competition? <_< lol.
Well I didn't use it and now im mapping for ppl and such xD.
Playing other peoples games/demos and normal RPGs you find out and about can give you more ideas and what-not.

I'M SUPERMAN!
Rep:
Level 88
HURR DE DURRR
You know, actually, you really can't release it, because you aren't allowed to distribute it.

I'd say to use torrents in order to throw off Game Freak, or some other p2p.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

You know, actually, you really can't release it, because you aren't allowed to distribute it.

I'd say to use torrents in order to throw off Game Freak, or some other p2p.
I don't see why I couldn't distribute it, I'm not using their shit to make money, so it's really not their business. >_>

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
is that so.....just using the idea of POKEMON and making a GAME ON IT can get you sued...
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 88
Gone.
and pray to the allmighty morris lawry because im fudging auwsome. also i fudged in your pants, and SUE SUE SUE SUE CALL TEH POKEMANZ SUEEEE
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:47:45 AM by Morris Lawry »
Good Bye. RMRK you were cool while I wasn't there.

I'M SUPERMAN!
Rep:
Level 88
HURR DE DURRR
 :police: I think if you distribte it in a peer2peer program like Bitorrent, they won't find out.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

:police: I think if you distribte it in a peer2peer program like Bitorrent, they won't find out.
maybe.. but distribution methods are a thought for later days.. right now I just gotta actually make the game.. LOL..
Hey any ideas on how to make the resolution lower in RPG Maker XP?

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
lower? why? Just use more pixilated stuff  :P

Rep:
Level 87
well its a nice game and concept... but originality is the issue XD. ;D But dont worry about that for now everybody has some game that they like in which they pattern it its like learning too.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
A Pokemon online game is impossible for all purposes unless you are a scripter (or can recruit a scripter) on the level of Blizzard, Mr. Mo, etc.

Seriously, building a battle system almost from scratch, making it online, editing the online components, would take a long time, and it would probably require more than one great scripter, not to mention a lot of time.

And considering there's no Pokemon script kit out that's good, you probably should just give up with the idea, or try to join another project.

Good luck if you decide to continue with this, but understand how hard it would be.