RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Natural Selection in Reverse. ~Sterilization of the "Un-Select".

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
One of the many problems that arise with development of culture, size and technology, a civilization will start to exist outside the mainstream of "nature". When the ugly date the ugly, and normal people reproduce with the deformed the idea of natural selection cannot take place.

But it goes deeper then this, not only does positive evolution halt, the exact reverse will happen. Corrupted DNA will spread through all of society, slowly undoing all that nature has given us. Certain people had the idea to sterilise the "un-fit" and by doing so taking the "selection" into our own hands, which of course gave cause to such people as Hitler.

Even without natural selection, the idea of evolution becoming corrupted can still easily take place, DNA is passed from both parents, it also doesn't just "disappear". In nature, defected animals would simple not be given a chance to mate, thereby eliminating the negative, but when you live in a perverted society ( humanity being a perversion of nature ) this all falls apart. With no more "survival of the fittest" and no death of the weak, we will continue in a spiral of deformity. 

While most people cringe at the idea of taking away human rights, scientifically the topic of sterilising the mentally handicapped is a hard one to debate, because science is typically neutral. When you remove morality from the subject ( morality being in many cases illogical ) it seems to be the only logical choice when faced with the alternative. After all, the needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
I agree whole-heartedly with what you said. Although; its not like we can stop anything.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Truth. We've started down this path, and this path is on an icy hill at an 80 degree angle. Best to just accept it at this point.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 07:26:36 PM by Arrow-1 »

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Project of the Month winner for April 2007
Why is this in Intelligent Debate? ?_? *moves*
Get King of Booze for Android, for iOS, for OUYA or for Windows!
Visit our website.
You can also love/hate us on Facebook or the game itself.

Get DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is!

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
I guess he wanted someone to reply intelligently; but after posting he relised he can't reply to his own statements  ;8

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Saucy is a girl. :B
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 05:34:04 PM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Why is this in Intelligent Debate? ?_? *moves*
Were else would it go..? This isn't chat around the water-cooler material.

Why would it go in general chat ?_?

I guess she wanted someone to reply intelligently; but after posting she realised she can't reply to her own statements  ;8
Yeh... Just thought I'd fix that...

Although; its not like we can stop anything.
We could  but it's unlikely to happen.

Truth. We've started down this path, and this path is on an icy hill at a degree angle. Best to just accept it at this point.
Didn't someone say that about the USSR at some stage..?

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
I'm not sure how much sense it does. I agree with the theory, but killing off handicaped people and weak people? Is it really what we want?
Visit our website.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I'm not sure how much sense it does.
Corrupted evolution in general, or sterilisation..?

I agree with the theory, but killing off handicapped people and weak people?
It's not killing them, or limiting their lives, it has to do with stopping them from reproducing so that future generations won't become even worse off. They would live normal lives, and the idea is only referring to diagnosed mentally retarded people ( downs etc ) and I say that most of these people can't consent to sex ( in the same way a minor can't ) so really it's just stopping them from being abused more so.

Is it really what we want?
And that's why I posted it in the debate  section =)

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
Is it really what we want?
And that's why I posted it in the debate  section =)

I lol'd. Anyway... with science going the way it is; we may be able to "cure" more diseases then ever before. Also now we can /change/ the coding of DNA; maybe they will disappear forever?

Rep:
Level 96
I'm not sure how much sense it does. I agree with the theory, but killing off handicaped people and weak people? Is it really what we want?

in before holocaust

OMG!! IVE RUN OUT OF EYELINER!!!
Rep:
Level 88
More man than everyone here put together.
Meh, it's bound to happen sooner or later, because deep within, everyone who decides to be a politician is a facist.

Offtopic:  :o I can give people reputation! *gives +'s to random people*
The opposite of intelligence is not stupidity, it's patriotism.

Rep:
Level 96
Deep down every politician is a person who was effected by everyone around them as they grew from childhood, and was thusly shaped by them. In essence, a politician is what we are in a more obvious form.

Rep:
Level 88
I agree with the basis of the theory, but I have to add that morals are as much a natural part of us as any other. I find it hard to believe that any human would just randomly decide to go completely against instinct and logic and create a new style of living. Being humans is both a gift and a curse of nature's, and I don't believe it was given to us lightly.

Nature is, after all, the most intelligent organism on the planet.

Besides, once technology advances a bit more, we could fix those genetic deformities ourselves or replace them with healthy genetic tissue, so that at least the next generation would live a healthy life.

Why attempt to follow with the now-restraining bounds of nature? We have the gift of progress; let us make a society both harmonious and compassionate, but change only that of nature which requires change.

God, I ramble.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:22:34 PM by .:Pyroken Serafoculus:. »

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member

This may be sort of necro posting (a week), but I disagree. For one thing with the topic title, it is definitely not natural selection. As for reverse, it's just not. The idea of natural selection is that the genes of the un-select do not procreate, which is the exactly the suggestion you propose. I disagree that natural selection is unable to occur. Natural selection only occurs under two conditions: need and random mutations. Without need, the beneficial mutations will not be spread through the populace, but they also do not go away. So, if the need should arise, there will still be the lucky people who have genes to suit the need. This is not affected by the existence of people who do not have the genes that will help them survive should need arise. Natural selection does not kill off the weakest in every generation, as you seem to suggest, but rather it kills off the weakest when need arises, and the weakest is determined by the need. Also, you seem to be implying in your argument that "mentally handicapped" by neccesity makes them weakest. This is only the case in a world which rejects the infirm: i.e. a world that would be created were we to sterilize them. Should a need arise for natural selection (say, a disease that spreads rapidly), it is just as possible for a mentally handicapped person to develop an immunity as it is for any other person, and in that case, the mentally handicapped would become the fit, and regular people the weak.

They are not really corrupting the gene pool, as there are not enough of them to do so, and furthermore, most mentally handicapped people are born from regular parents, and their handicaps are not genetic, but results of things which happened during their development. So, were they to procreate, they would not pass on a harmful gene. We will not continue in a spiral of deformity. I assume you are referring to lesser intellect as the deformity, but if anything, humanity has gotten succesively smarter with each generation. Also, there is no such thing as de-evolution, and deformity is not a natural term. If some disaster caused the forest to turn white, then albino animals be the 'select' and other creatures will be the ones to die. Deformity is situational only.

On a moral level,I believe it to be wrong to define a class of people as inferior and to prohibit them from reproducing because they belong to that class. Despite a lack of intellect, the mentally handicapped are still people, loved and capable of loving: and denying them the ability to have children is reprehensible to me. So I disagree with you.

EXA
Rep:
Level 92
Pikachu on a toilet
Don't worry, necro is only 2 months+.
BTW, if they are needed, mutations are not random. Only "normal" mutations are random. If they show to be maybe useful, they start mutating further which isn't "random" mutation anymore, but something called addaption.
And humans didn't get any "smarter" in the last 30000 years, only their knowledge today is greater. That's why it seems we we be smarter than earlier.
Did you know that there are many mentally handicapped who have actually a great intelligence? If you watched the movie "Cube" you will know what I mean. Peolpe might look totally handicapped, but they could be incredible genioused in one specific area and this is actually very often the case.
I agree with the last part.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:24:33 AM by Blizzard »
Visit our website.