RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Hate System in RPG Maker 2003?

Rep:
Level 87
Hey all. I've been fiddling with RPG Maker 2003 off and on for about 2 years now. I just got an idea for a new game and was wondering if it was possible to create a type of hate system like in mmorpgs where you can direct the monster to attack a certain player on their next turn (like a 'Taunt' skill) BTW, I'm talking about version 2003 specifically...but if the only way I can do it is by learning the scripts in RPG Maker XP then I'll use that but I prefer 2k3.

(I already searched the forums but didn't find anything so I apologize if this is inappropriate) Anyway, I'll try to be as specific as possible as to what exactly I'm looking for:

Basically the game will have only 2 characters with a shitload of abilities. One character will act as sort of the 'tank' and can better take damage. But this character will also have spell abilities too, they'll just sort of be watered down version of the other character's kinda. Anyhow, I wanted to know if there was a way to like make the monster hit a certain player instead of it being random.

Hate spells will be as followed (I'll give them original names don't worry but just for the sake of discussion)

Taunt: Focuses enemy to direct their next attack on tank.
Aoe-Taunt: Focuses all enemies to direct their next attack on tank.
Hate+Attack: An attack with built-in hate.
Mega Hate: An attack that builds up lots of hate but has a pretty big downfall.

Not all fights will be based on this method, I think only certain types of enemies (Humans and Robots?) should be effected...just to add flavor ya know? Anyway tell me what you think on how to make this idea a reality!!

Banned
Rep:
Level 87
i didnt read the whole thing but one thing u should know anyways.

2k3 and xp, whole different softwares. u cant use scripts for 2k3... nothing relates with 2k3 and xp.

Rep:
Level 87
u cant use scripts for 2k3... nothing relates with 2k3 and xp

Yeah I know that. I meant that if it needs to be done in scripts I guess I have to use xp...but I just don't really like it as much.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
2K3 battle system is pretty much 100% pre-programed, as in what you see is what you get. I don't believe that can be done with 2k3.

Rep:
Level 87
Ah okay, does anybody know how it could be done with XP then?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I have an idea for it, but I won't know until I dl a copy of 2k3 and see if it has the features I am thinking would be of use.

Rep:
Level 87
I'm trying to work my way around it somewhat.

For example I made a Guard spell that blocks all attacks for the party via a status effect. Kinda gimmicky but it works. Also an ability to raise defense for 3 turns. Of course...I still don't know a way to direct what an enemy uses based on what so the character is only a tank if the player gets lucky. Probably something to do with battle events and switches and the like. I'll check it out now before I go to bed.