RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Family Farm Mapping Tutorial

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Family Farm
In this tutorial you will get the basic idea on how to make a Family Farm surrounded by mountains.

Okay, lets start with the farming town exterior. Make sure to give yourself enough room to work with but not too much room, that could make the map seem a bit empty.

Next lets fill the entire map with grass on the first layer.

Now make the map look realistic by ptting some dirt down randomly.

Next we are going to make the mountain wall that will surround the area.
THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO

Instead lets make something like this on the second layer. Like someone said in another tutorial, nature is random. Make it seem that way. I have seen games that it looks like the creators didn't care at the mapping at all. So make something like this....

Now we are going to use the corners of the mountain to make it look better.

Once you go all around you should end up with something like this...

Don't forget to make a way to get in and out.

Don't forget to add anything you think is needed to make the map look better.

Add some cliffs overlapping cliffs. I made an error there with the height of that cliff, but it gets the point across.

Now add some trees around the place.

Now lets make some houses.

Now you can make some crops.

Start with a fence (optional)

Make some dirt piles.

Add some dirt.

Dress the place up with anything you find. Don't overdo it. And what family farm doesn't have a water hole?

Hmm, pretty. lol

Don't forget to add events such as butterflys and rabits to make it look better.

And we are done. It's a bit plain, but I was tired.  :(

I hope you enjoyed it.

Revolution is not a bed of roses.
Rep:
Level 91
Project of the Month winner for July 2009
Nice one, for some reason it reminds me a lot of my Exterior Mountain town tutorial.

Only complaint I have is that you leave it way too open.

pokeball :)OfflineMale
Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
Very nice! As dark said yes a little to open, but a few more houses can fix that easy!
Watch out for: HaloOfTheSun

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Yeah, this was a while ago when I made it. And I got lazy and left it open. lol

When the dawn breaks...
Rep:
Level 88
...tonight will be just another memory.
Farms are normally pretty open, although some kind of plants wont go a miss. Seen some good tutorials latly, this is one of them.

Rep:
Level 102
Farms are normally pretty open, although some kind of plants wont go a miss. Seen some good tutorials latly, this is one of them.
Thank you.

I normally would add a little to the chipset such as plants but I wanted to work with what I had. I also didn't want to make the map too repetitive.

Rep:
Level 88
Now do you know who I am??
*cough* Wow. This really looks like my tut. :police:

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
and your tut really looks like Darklords Tut  :police:

Rep:
Level 88
It does???

Wait...

Rep:
Level 91

Rep:
Level 88
Lol, just yours is better, good thing I put "For the Average Mapper"

Rep:
Level 102
That means we need some new mapping tutorials not about farming towns.

Rep:
Level 91
My farm town was tutorial was first :P

Irockman, you could probably make a good mountain tutorial, you make mountains pretty well.

Cheese
Rep:
Level 95
?
I'm starting a castle town tut now...just to let everyone know xD (so no one else makes it)

Rep:
Level 102
My farm town was tutorial was first :P

Irockman, you could probably make a good mountain tutorial, you make mountains pretty well.
I suppose. Maybe I should, but it would take a long time to make an entire mountain. I'll start on it shortly.