RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Walking on water?

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and am using RM XP.  I need a tutorial fot a couple of things I'm having trouble with.
1) I need a log to float down a stream and be boardable just bu stepping on or off it.  They're both impassable items, so I need the player to be able to get on, and also to allow for the log to move down the stream.  I don't want to stream to be walked on in any other way, meaning changing the tileset passability would be pointless.
2)If I make an object erase as an event, when the player leaves the map, the item reappears.  Is there any easy way to prevent this without switches?

Thanks in advance   :D

Rep:
Level 91
first one- you have 2 options:
a. when you are near the log, pushing the action key will change (using move events) the graphics of the entire river and the log, to other , passable versions of them.

requires: adding the same things to the tileset, setting as passable and unpassable, doing annoying change graphics in both going on the log and off the log.

another:

make a map, copy paste it thus having 2 identical maps.
make a copy of the tilest and set the 2nd map to it.
1 will have normal passabilities and the other will have unblocked water and only 1 spot on the log on which you can move, moving the log will be made by a parallel proccess like:

if button down is pushed then
move player +1y
move log event +1y

don't forget to change the player to no movement animation in move event, it's one of the buttons.

when you want to go on the log, use a teleport to the 2nd map, off the board is another teleport event back to the first.

that's just about all you can do
excluding turning player's phase mode on, and when he is on the log turning it off, then checking X,Y to see when he can get off and enabling his phase again

as for the 2nd question-
nah :(
but switches aren't too bad

lastly
welcome to the forums -.-
holy shit my sig was big!

Thanks alot, you're a real help :D

quick question, can anyone give me a link to a site that'll convert all these rpg2k charsets into rmxp?

Rep:
Level 91
i don't think there is one, simply open a normal rmxp charset and paste the rm2k charsets on it the right way, you will notice you lack one position in each or so, that's cause rmxp got 2 of the same char, simply copy the stand still char to  both places it's in, resize the image and put them in the right order
it's not hard but it will take a bit if you gonna do it to alot of charsets

I did that for one, but it's blodey tedious.  There has to be an easier way.  Or maybe there's a character generator for RMXP?

Rep:
Level 89
Quote from: Albino Squirrel
I did that for one, but it's blodey tedious.  There has to be an easier way.  Or maybe there's a character generator for RMXP?

Nope, there isn't .. you could make/edit them yourself though..
And I heard there's a program (spanish though) , which helps you make them.
Started RPG making once again!

back to the subject, I still need a way to make the logs drift without the character being on them.  If I follow your guidance, then the character can walk on water in order for the log to be able to move.  
Perhaps if I made a picture, and a line of events down the river that were activated as the picture rolled over it, maybe it could work; though I believe it'd go out of sync

Any geniuses out there got an idea?

Rep:
Level 91
by using directional passess, set the log to only be walkable left or right, thus not allowing the char to ever get off the log into the water
and upon moving left or right it will get off the log and go to the ground.
you can otherwise make the log 2 tiles or more, top one won't allow going up left or right but will allow bottom, thus you can stand on it, and the one under will allow going up , to the bottom of the other one, but not down left or right, once more not allowing you to get off the log until you reach spot X

Quote from: blueXx
by using directional passess, set the log to only be walkable left or right, thus not allowing the char to ever get off the log into the water
and upon moving left or right it will get off the log and go to the ground.
you can otherwise make the log 2 tiles or more, top one won't allow going up left or right but will allow bottom, thus you can stand on it, and the one under will allow going up , to the bottom of the other one, but not down left or right, once more not allowing you to get off the log until you reach spot X

Ah, yes, very well done; thank you for all your help :)

Okay, after actually trying this, when I use the log to get onto the river, it just slides on under my character leaving him stranded in the river until it comes back around.  If I put in a collision start- move down repeating then there is no way I can dismount.  Maybe a conditional branch for the left key would be in order, but maybe there's also a better way.
**Edit- conditional branching for the left key before a move down into a loop just freezes the game up.  Anybody have a method that definately works?

Rep:
Level 91
i didn't make that er.. yet..
so if you feel like sending me that map so i can have a look and debug it do that :P

(make a new project, copy paste the maps with the logs and all and rar/zip it and upload it and link to it)
(www.megaupload,com)
(www.zupload.com)

Rep:
Level 90
If your doing a cutscene sorta thing just erm set the log near land and have it to wear if ther person walks up to it it makes your characters animation a character on the log (Open up paint and edit it.) Then it shows it moving with a move event. Set ignore impossible moves. Make sure u wait for the move to stop. When it reaches the other side change the character graphic back and tele him/her like two []s up and make there be a log were he would have stopped. Simple enough? If u want to be able to controll the log u can do it sorta the same way. Hope that helps.

Rep:
Level 91
a small problem there bpk
how do you suggest controling an animation?
the only way to do that is to move the event controling it
and then you face 2 problems:
a. it's the same as the normal log only slighjly less realistic (unable to try and move while inside the log as opposed to the real log)
b. animation duration is going to be really hard to keep on perfection (such as the animation it is it will simply fade at a point, too late or too soon)

surely it can be fixed by a simple graphics change and face lock instead of animation but you would still come to the same spot as we have been at
conditioning the left button results in a loop (i don't really see why so i need his events i am more than 100% sure i can debug it)

only now you will actually cause a new problem - you will need to check which hero is using the log and set graphics like those for every possible hero
pain.

http://z26.zupload.com/download.php?file=getfile&filepath=2398

Here it is- the simple maps cause the most problems.

Rep:
Level 91
i deleted everything you did cause it just wasn't right -.-
and then i deleted the maps cause it was fun

and the result:
http://z26.zupload.com/file.php?filepath=2487

no more log problems

Rep:
Level 89
I AM MADLY IN LOVE WITH TERESA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol, I know this has been looked at, but I came up with another idea...

See you have the log moving down the river, slow so the player can get on it... when you use the action key on it, you change the character's actual image to the one with the log... then you have the player actually move it.. you use a switch called "OnLog" and while it is on, the player cannot move up, which would be if key, up is pressed move down, or something of that sort... and you have a timer that every let me say 5 seconds the log automatically moves down one... or faster or slower then that, whatever. and then when the player reach the point that he can get off at, you just teleport him to the location, and then change his graphich back the way he was, and set "OnLog" to be off... I would test it, but I don't have RPGMaker XP right now, so I think it would work, and rather simple really, lol... anyway, yeah just an idea.  :D
Arc-Angel Entertainment
Bringing Christian values to the gaming world.

Rep:
Level 91
here is your problem:
you say change the graphics, i say you are going to have alot of problems if you can have more than 1 hero graphic in the game, party changes, hero look changes, you name it
making it alot of annoying work to make the player on log graphics, and honestly i don't see why if you could throw the player on the log instead

if you want to give the player log control stop my parallel processs and instead of it make a new one

if switch darnlogs is on then
-if button down is pushed then
--move event: logs+ player: down

problem is:
it will still be unrealistic, the log will not move as if it's actually a river

now you might say: pfft look , your river ends down and them omg everything on the log is back up he river..

by changing the teleport spot of the player if he finds himself in the end of the river to the right or the left of that spot you can solve the unrealisem

so i would think the way you offered is ok though not too realistic due to logs and water thing, and the graphics change shouldn't be used ~_~

that works great, thank you!