RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Stereo Types or Self Fulfilling Prophecy. (Determinism or Freewill)

Rep:
Level 88
A good eventer and story creator.
Stereo Types or Self Fulfilling Prophecy.

(Btw by answering this you are consenting to taking part in a Psychological Experiment on the views of people on the Internet compared with the General Public of Derby City Centre.)

Let me start off by saying there is no right or wrong answer, but here's what they are (in Psychology...but in english)

Stereo Types are people who get generalized.

Self Fulfilling Prophecy are people who get labelled (often wrongly) and live up to that expectation (thus becoming stereo types)

Which one is it?

Can people be generalized under one rule, or is it because we humans like labelling people?

Do you think it is right that people should get generalized/labelled?

Do we have to live by this, isn't this just another form of Determinism or is it a way that our Free Will is taken away from us?

What are Racists, should we persecute them for their beliefs?
what if someone wasn't a racist (i.e. Jade Goody) but was labelled as one, and because she was "white" got singled out? Is this the Self Fulfilling Prophecy at work (Check Big Brother).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 12:39:49 AM by Ravenshade »
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Rep:
Level 88
No one want to answer?
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
I certainly say that it comes down to situation. If you have a black child raised with a white family in a white community, it will act white, no?

I say majority of our views come down to our upbringings, not genetics. While certain attributes can be predesignated, it still comes to the people around to bring out the possible, dormant personality fixtures.

Banned
Rep:
Level 88
metalcore loving gay pride christian
No one want to answer?

Deliciously_Saucy may understand what you post is about, but I don't.

Communism<3
Rep:
Level 91
Ahh, from what I took as it was:

Are racial personality stereotypes part of genetics/predisposition, or upbringings and surroundings.

Rep:
Level 88
DS is right for the most part, but it's virtually anything...it's like a chicken or the egg kind of thing as well.

Which comes first, Self Fulfilling Prophecy or Stereotyping?

Just basically answer the questions below (and including): Which one is it?
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female MemberLO !!f*ck u >:(^_________________^
How are stereotypes/self-fulfilling prophecy and determinism/volition related?

EDIT: Saucy, I think you're talking Nature vs. Nurture :o
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 09:39:05 PM by Djangonator »
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Rep:
Level 88
Okay, stereotypes sooner or later form the self-fulfilling prophecy or the other way around...either way the person may end up being someone. This is deterministic.

Free will is sort of the null hypothesis of this...where Stereotypes have no effect what so ever, so that's how it's related.
Harmony before Justice,
Balance before Peace,
Order before Finality

Family Motto.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female MemberLO !!f*ck u >:(^_________________^
Self-fulfilling prophecy wouldn't happen BEFORE stereotyping. What "prophecy" would you have to "fulfill" then?

Being part of a stereotype is a matter of free will. You choose what clothes you wear, what music you listen to, which people you associate with, etc. Self-fulfilling prophecy itself is still a result of volition. A person would CHOOSE to let what they're being stereotyped as define them, and would be more inclined to act in ways that correspond with whatever they've been stereotyped as. Determinism is a bunch of bullshit.
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I